Looking for a good dongle DAC
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SkaKidCaleb

New Head-Fier
Hi all! So here's my situation. I currently have an Astell and Kern SE200 DAP that I've been using for about a year now and absolutely love the sound. However, it is quite bulky for on the go use and has mostly been relegated to my transportable/desktop DAP when working on my computer. My IEMs are the Campfire Andromeda(I believe it's the 2019 version) and the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk.

I was torn between purchasing a smaller pocketable dap such as the Astell and Kern SR35 or Sony NW306, but ultimately just pulled the trigger on a new iphone 15 since my old Iphone12 mini has awful battery life and I can't get through a day without charging it twice under normal usage. So this brings me to my quesiton.

I'm looking to keep using the SE200 as my desktop/transportable solution but I'd like to get a decent-good dongle dac to use when out on the go. Since the IPhone15 has USB-C it's made the idea of a dongle more enticing since I no longer have to put a flimsy USB-C to lightning adapter in the chain. I currently use Plexamp to stream my entire music library from my home PC to my phone so I think this should make for a pretty good solution to access my music when on the go. I'm sure none of these dongles will really match the level of sound I get with my SE200, but so far I'm looking at the
-Hiby FC6
-Cayin Ru6
-Cayin Ru7
-Questyle M15. Having never really dove into the world of dongle dacs, I'm a but torn on which one to choose. Ideally, the lowest noise floor possibly is preferred because of the Andromeda's sensitivity. I can even detect the slightest bit of noise floor in the SE200.

Excited to hear your thoughts and I appreciate the help!

-Caleb

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Of these, I owned the RU6 and M15. Both have an organic quality to them, the M15 has slightly more detail but is a little less musical than the RU6.

In terms of noise, I experienced some EMI on the RU6 on two different Android devices. But some people have similar issues with the M15 (I did not).

In the end, I went with a used iFi Go Bar. This is dead silent, still great sounding, and has XBass for a noticeable bump in the low end. I like bass and didn't want the hassle of EQ so the choice was easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back