Looking for a high end headphone that isnt too large - AKG K702 gives me neck pain!
Jan 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

daedalus2010

New Head-Fier
hi everyone

My current headphones are Beyerdynamic DTX 800 (http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgets/Computer-Peripherals/The-Beyerdynamic-DTX-800-Headphones-7499.html), so mid range 

I recently upgraded to the AKG K702 (http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1082,pid,1082,nodeid,2,_language,EN,view,specs.html) . Amazing sound but I can't use it for more than half and hour for comfort reasons. I don't know whether it is too large (I can't lie down or rest my head against my couch because the earpiece extends past behind my head) or because it is too heavy (235g vs. 190g). Personally I suspect its the size as how can 40g cause neckpain!

Now I am looking at a higher end headphones, around $200USD. I would like to try Sennheisers as I like warm sound, and so am looking at the HD558. It is however 250+ g, and I dont know about its size. How big is it relative to the AKG k702?

Also, can someone please recommend me other full size headphones that are smaller? I had a look at the portable headphone shootout here at head-fi. Those would suit but I would prefer an open one, plus I would rather not pay for portability when I dont use it!

thanks!

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 5
Holy crap, the K701 is one of the most comfy headphones I've ever used, and pretty light too.
Have you tried rotating the headphones counterclockwise so that the headband rests a little more at the back of your cranium rather than at the top? That why, when you head is slightly tilted forward, the headphones will apply no momentum to force you head to tilt more.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't think that you're going to find any full size high end headphones that are any lighter than that.

If that makes much of a difference for your comfort you might have to go with IEMs instead of full size 'phones.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 5
The Sony MA900 seem like theyre made of practically nothing, but I cant speak with regards to the sound as I haven't listened to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back