Looking for a new TOTL headphone
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheAbyss2022

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a sound signature that is alike to the Audeze LCD 4 that has a warmer and more full bodied sound.

With the exception of ZMF headphones, what other headphones should I look into?

Apparently the HEDD 2 is really good?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 19
I am looking for a sound signature that is alike to the Audeze LCD 4 that has a warmer and more full bodied sound.

With the exception of ZMF headphones, what other headphones should I look into?

Apparently the HEDD 2 is really good?
Final D8K or a T+A Solitaire P (used; don’t buy new)

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 19
Dec 25, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 19
Don't like ZMF? Caldera is a masterpiece.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 19
Don't like ZMF? Caldera is a masterpiece.
I would if one came up for sale on the used market in the UK/Europe.

I don't want to pay the exurbanite customs fee to have them shipped new directly from ZMF in America as we do not have any dealers that sell them in the UK.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 19
I would if one came up for sale on the used market in the UK/Europe.

I don't want to pay the exurbanite customs fee to have them shipped new directly from ZMF in America as we do not have any dealers that sell them in the UK.
Have you checked the dealer page on ZMF?

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/dealersnew

I know it's pricey, I've imported stuff from all over and customs can be a pain/expensive. But they really are worth it. I've had almost every single high end headphone released and they are my favorite.

I'd go Atrium Closed or Caldera.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 19
Have you checked the dealer page on ZMF?

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/dealersnew

I know it's pricey, I've imported stuff from all over and customs can be a pain/expensive. But they really are worth it. I've had almost every single high end headphone released and they are my favorite.

I'd go Atrium Closed or Caldera.
I can afford an Atrium.

Why the closed version over the open back?

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 19
I can afford an Atrium.

Why the closed version over the open back?
IMO it'd probably be closer to the lcd 4 with its stronger bass. I have both Atrium and strongly prefer the closed. And I'm not normally a closed back headphone person.

I'd look around and read reviews on both so you can make the best decision for your tastes. I hate to say it this way, but if you can't demo a set in person due to UK look for the "audiophile buzzwords" in reviews that you align with to see if others all describe what you are looking for.

The other benefit to having a ZMF is that you can get a custom set that isn't like any other set out there. They are YOUR set of headphones.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 19
IMO it'd probably be closer to the lcd 4 with its stronger bass. I have both Atrium and strongly prefer the closed. And I'm not normally a closed back headphone person.

I'd look around and read reviews on both so you can make the best decision for your tastes. I hate to say it this way, but if you can't demo a set in person due to UK look for the "audiophile buzzwords" in reviews that you align with to see if others all describe what you are looking for.

The other benefit to having a ZMF is that you can get a custom set that isn't like any other set out there. They are YOUR set of headphones.
I'm intrigued however, the Caldera will have the better technical ability such as detail in comparison to the Atrium?

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm intrigued however, the Caldera will have the better technical ability such as detail in comparison to the Atrium?
They are both excellent, it just depends what you are looking for. Dynamic vs planar as well.

Caldera is great.
Atrium Closed is great, just different.

I'd agree that Caldera is more technically capable. For some strange reason, I would say the AC has just a slight tiny bit more soul. But yes, slight more detail on Caldera.

But I'm splitting hairs.

If you are that concerned about differences I'd just go Caldera.

Just realized I'm not making this easier lol.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 19
They are both excellent, it just depends what you are looking for. Dynamic vs planar as well.

Caldera is great.
Atrium Closed is great, just different.

I'd agree that Caldera is more technically capable. For some strange reason, I would say the AC has just a slight tiny bit more soul. But yes, slight more detail on Caldera.

But I'm splitting hairs.

If you are that concerned about differences I'd just go Caldera.

Just realized I'm not making this easier lol.
I appreciate your insight but I am really drawn to the new HEDD 2.

They describe that headphone having a full sounding signature with HD660 vocals and amazing technicals that rival a lot more expensive cans.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 19
I appreciate your insight but I am really drawn to the new HEDD 2.

They describe that headphone having a full sounding signature with HD660 vocals and amazing technicals that rival a lot more expensive cans.
All good man, no worries. Just throwing my opinion in here since you asked.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 19
My wife just got me the Atrium Closed for a Christmas present ( yes she is awesome ) . I have many headphone’s but if I just want to plug something in and be lost in the music the Atrium open is that. Yes others do some things better and at times I like that as well. The Atrium Open plays music for me .

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 19
What about the Modhouse Tungsten or HEDD 2? Apparently the Final D8000 has a small soundstage.

I had them and didn't like the headphones technical ability.
Haven’t heard the HEDD 2. Sol P has wide staging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back