Looking for a pair of IEM's
Jun 18, 2015 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

buke9

Headphoneus Supremus
Watercooler Travel Team
Help and Recommendation Contributor
I was thinking about getting a pair of iem's for work (constuction). I would be listening thru iPhone 5 or Fiio X1 . For under $200 what would be my best options ? I have a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc that I use with my Alpha Dogs also. I would like custom iem's for when I run heavy equipment but I think it would blow the budget. Something low profile would be great ( When on heavy equipment I use my stock iphone earbuds under muffs). Iphone controls would be a plus be not a deal breaker. Just give me a place to start looking. Thanks Brent

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 4
None of the IEMs I have significant experience with really fit your requirements. But based on my reading, the following are probably a good starting point for your search.

1. Etymotic Research HF3 : Etymotic IEMs are the isolation benchmark for universal IEMs (on Head-fi and I have tried them briefly). They do require a deep seal/insertion but are comfortable with the right tips. They are on the neutral side of things sonically and do not deliver big bass. The HF3 also features iPhone controls.
See this review: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/etymotic-research-hf5-hf2-hf3/
For a cheaper alternative with similar features see the Ety MC3: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/etymotic-research-hf5-hf2-hf3/

2. Custom Art Music One: Custom IEM that does not break the bank (~275$ shipped), low profile, silicone(not hard acrylic), good feedback on Head-fi. See average_joe's detailed review : http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/custom-art-music-one-silicone-shelled-custom-ear-monitor-review/

Take a look at the above two. Let us know if you find anything that is a deal-breaker, and we can further refine your search.

PS: Please keep in mind that these are not buying suggestions. These are only to help you start reading so that you are clearer on your requirement.
PS2: It would help if you shared your sonic signature(bass heavy, emphasized vocals, bright treble etc etc) or music preferences.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 4
I use a lot of IEM’s at my work, and as you can see in my sig I own a nice collection.
I did find I had to make a compromise.

The best sounding IEM’s I have are the Monster Copper’s, the ones with the best isolation are the Yamaha EPH-100. But at work I tend to use the Shure SE315 the most.
In my experience, people tend to talk/ ask questions al the time. So I have to take my IEM’s out al the time. And since I always use Comply tips with my IEM’s, this is a hassle. The Shure IEM’s are very easy to take out al the time, and they have a great sound as well. So although they are not my best/favorite IEM’s, they are my preferred IEM’s at my job.

Hope this help (and is clear
regular_smile .gif
)
PS
Just to ad another option in the mix. The Klipsch Image S4 also come in a Iphone (i) version. They also have a nice sound and pretty good isolation. And the I version has Iphone controls. To be clear though, this is only a suggestion for the iphone controls. I own a pair, but never use them, because the other options I mentioned above, al sound much better.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 4
I use a lot of IEM’s at my work, and as you can see in my sig I own a nice collection.

I did find I had to make a compromise.

The best sounding IEM’s I have are the Monster Copper’s, the ones with the best isolation are the Yamaha EPH-100. But at work I tend to use the Shure SE315 the most.

In my experience, people tend to talk/ ask questions al the time. So I have to take my IEM’s out al the time. And since I always use Comply tips with my IEM’s, this is a hassle. The Shure IEM’s are very easy to take out al the time, and they have a great sound as well. So although they are not my best/favorite IEM’s, they are my preferred IEM’s at my job.

Hope this help (and is clear
regular_smile%20.gif
)

PS

Just to ad another option in the mix. The Klipsch Image S4 also come in a Iphone (i) version. They also have a nice sound and pretty good isolation. And the I version has Iphone controls. To be clear though, this is only a suggestion for the iphone controls. I own a pair, but never use them, because the other options I mentioned above, al sound much better.

Monster has discontinued the turbine range so the coppers aren't an option.

I also have an e12 and for IEMs it adds nothing to the sound. Part of the point of IEMs is powering them direct from a portable device. My westone 3s and ie8s are both "premium" IEMs and neither sound better when amped, and in fact I never exceed one blip on my MacBooks volume when running the westones - they're very efficient.

For under 200 you could consider the westone W series, or the shure se215. Both have detachable cables so you can always fit a cable with an iPhone control too. I find my westones are the most comfortable in ears I've used - you don't even feel them in your ears even after hours of listening. The shures are perhaps less comfortable, but nothing to worry about, and as always your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back