Looking for a replacament to my Akg K712 PRO (HD 660S, 990PRO, etc)
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Pacommmm

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I bought a pair of Akg K712 PRO 3 months ago, and yesterday the left speaker stopped to work.
Since the store gives me back the money, I am looking for a replacement (or to buy it a second time).

I was fine with the headphones, although it had not a WOW effect in me coming from a hyperx cloud II (yes, the akg is far better but I was expecting a bigger difference). I was pairing it with a Sabaj Da3 dac. The soundstage was ok, but i felt it a little bit boring and light bass.

I use it for listening to .FLAC music, 320kbps Spotify and gaming (50/50).

Some of the options that I have considerated are the Sennheiser HD660s and the Beyerdynamic DT990pro.
I have a budget of 500$ and I am open to other options.

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 28
I own the DT990 (both 250-Ohm & 600-Ohm), which has a strong bass/treble, but I would expect (guess) you will like the HD660 better, over all audio quality wise.
But the DT990 might be slightly better for headphone surround sound gaming (FPS gaming).

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 28
Will it be a noticeable downgrade on soundstage going from the k712pro to the HD660s (positioning and hearing footsteps in CSGO, PUBG, etc)?
Reputation wise. the AKG 7XX series was considered to have a very wide surround sound and great for FPS gaming.
The older Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX is considered to have a more narrow surround, never really recomend headphone for FPS gaming, not sure if the newer HD660s offers any change in that area.
My two cents, buy the HD660 and use it for most of your audio needs, buy a used Sennheiser HD558 for your FPS gaming.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) are considered one of the best bargins for great FPS gaming headphones.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 28
Will it be a noticeable downgrade on soundstage going from the k712pro to the HD660s (positioning and hearing footsteps in CSGO, PUBG, etc)?
Yes and no.

The K712 Pro has a huge soundstage, but it doesn't have the most accurate imaging. I found the HD650/HD6xx has much more accurate imaging, which I found more useful for gaming in shooters (FPS, TPS, survival, otherwise)
Another issue is that your amp/dac has pretty weak output, and the k712's are known for wanting a bit of extra power to reach their stride. I would think about getting a magni 2/3, or some amp, and feed the dac to it. Otherwise, it's not really a fair assessment the 712's. Additionally, the other models you are mentioning are also going to want more power, with the exception of the DT990's (maybe).

The HD6xx/HD660 doesn't have spectacular bass, in fact it's known for distorted bass.

One thing to note, the HD650/HD6xx is a closer comparison to the DT990's by price. The HD660 is much more expensive, so the comparison is somewhat unfair.
Another issue is the sound signature. The K712 has an odd sound sig with a bump in upper mids that makes female vocals luscious, but can make certain instrumentals a bit zingy. If you want something warmer, with more bass, look at the Philips Fidelio X2. These don't need an amp, so you're DAC should be fine.
If you wanted something a bit more laid back all-around, the ATH-R70x are a good pick. I personally like the HE400i's as all-rounders, but I understand why some people are reticent to deal with Hifiman.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 28
At 35% volume the k712pro were pretty loud. Do I really need a better amp?

How the fidelio direclty compare to the akg's?

Is there a big difference between the fidelio HR and the normal ones? (In spain there is a 110€ price difference).

Right now is a big headache for me to decide which cans to buy.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 28
The K712 doesn't need lots of power to work well, I think it's only 62 ohms or something..but the K712 is one of those headphones that improves significantly with better amplification.
You might also want to consider the Sennheiser HD700..I used to own one and hated it for music, but I thought it was fantastic for gaming due to the wide soundstage and great imaging. HD700 also improves significantly with better amplification.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 28
The Hifiman Sundara are more expensive here than the others.

So... Now im between DT990pro, Philips fidelio X2 (not the HR ones), anothers K712PRO and the 660S. There is a limited offer on the HD660S and the X2 (360€ and 160€ respectively).

Other important thing to me is the confort of the headphone, since I wear it like 6-7h a day. The earpads on the K712PRO were super confortable and it is very light weighted, but i did not like the headband (the first month i had to take it off every 2h).

Which one have the better punch-bass on music and a better and wider soundstage/imaging to hear steps on fps games?

I will pair it with my lg v30 to watch videos too (hope the quad dac and amp are enough to a decent quality audio). In the next year i will buy a better amp for my PC.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 28
The x2 will have the best bass and best soundstage (aside from akg, but more accurate) of the bunch, but it's heavier than the akg's, and I felt it was more uncomfortable to wear over a long period of time. The Sennheisers are more comfortable, provided you don't have a big head, and the Beyers are the next closest in comfort to the AKGs. I haven't yet worn headphones more comfy than the K712.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 28
I thought the HD660S with the new headband would be more comfy than the K712.

Thank you all for the answers but I remain undecided.

If I don't decide it before monday I suppose I will get another K712...

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 28
Check the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT1990 Pro those should work very well.
Otherwise check DT990 Edition (600 Ohm) as that's the best performing DT990.

K712 is a great performing headphone in its price range, but it's designed as a reference headphone.
It's not much of a WOW-ing headphone, but a very balanced one.

Fidelios aren't very detailed. Big bass and relatively big soundstage, but that's all you get in my experience.
(Along with the more luxurious appearance)

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 28
Check the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT1990 Pro those should work very well.
Otherwise check DT990 Edition (600 Ohm) as that's the best performing DT990.

K712 is a great performing headphone in its price range, but it's designed as a reference headphone.
It's not much of a WOW-ing headphone, but a very balanced one.

Fidelios aren't very detailed. Big bass and relatively big soundstage, but that's all you get in my experience.
(Along with the more luxurious appearance)
How does the HD660s actually compare to to the K712pro in terms of bass, definition and audio-positioning?

I have read like 10 reviews and each one says a different thing about the HD660S, and I don't know if they are really suitable for gaming.

The Amiron and DT1990 are much expensive here in Spain than the other models I have mentioned.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 28
How does the HD660s actually compare to to the K712pro in terms of bass, definition and audio-positioning?

I have read like 10 reviews and each one says a different thing about the HD660S, and I don't know if they are really suitable for gaming.

The Amiron and DT1990 are much expensive here in Spain than the other models I have mentioned.

I haven't tried the HD660S yet.

Based on what I've read you won't get K7-series soundstage with it.
I guess it should be better than HD600 and HD650 for gaming.

At some point personal preferences play a bigger role than the general consensus.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 28
I have another question, and I know it is a totally noob question, but i could not find any information about it.

Is it possible to connect my Sabaj DA3 Dac to an amplifier such as the O2?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back