Looking For An Accurate, Yet Lively Earphone.
Oct 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
I want to hear accurate, if lively, presentation of my music. I want my music to come through with all the clarity and impact of the original cds.

I'm looking for the Audio Technica ATH-M50 but in an earphone form. Everything thing this folding semi-portable headphone can do i want it in an earphone.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50s  

I would've gotten the M50 (it's everything i wanted in an headphone except for the size) but it's just not portable enough.

My budget is $250. But I am willing to pay a little more if their is one earphone that fits my criteria.

All my music is encoded in flac on my Cowon D2+ and I won't be using an amp.

Alot of of my music is disco, dance, pop & rock. 

Thank You All.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
I would recommend q-jays. They are fun and yet quite accurate as well. They are especially great at reproducing piano and bass. I know some people will also recommend DBA-02, but while I haven't heard it, if it sounds anything like my FA-003, then I would definitely grab the q-jays instead. Yes, Fisher Audio signature is balanced, but not exactly musical IMO.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank You.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 6
If you want technical accuracy, anything from Etymotic will likely trounce the competition in that aspect, as well as isolation. Since you have a Cowon D2+ you should have no problem EQing the Etymotic Mc5 as neded to satisfy the bass demands of those music genres. As all Etymotic earphones strive for similar frequency responce, I would go with the cheapest one, the Mc5. I have compared this to the Hf5, and find it a much better value, especially when it comes to durability.

MC5: Accuracy; Isolation; Price; Durability.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 6
What about the Phonak Audeo PFE with Green Filters (Perfect Bass)? I've lately been having my eyes on the Phonaks. Presumably they are very light & comfortable earphones that can be adjusted for the type sound quality you want.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I just happened onto a pair of Etymotic ER4P with the S conversion cable.  I second the Ety's as a lively, accurate IEM.  I've owned the Shure SE530, the Westone UM3X and the Westone 3, the UE Triple.Fi 10, and the UE Super.fi 5 pro.  They are all fine IEM's, and I particularly liked the Shures.  The Ety's have a speed and resolving power that none of the others have, at least to me.  The bass quantity is less, the accuracy of the bass is excellent.  Note that my fullsize cans are Denon D7000's, so I do have phones with a BIG bass signature.  The Ety's are fine as far as bass is concerned, unless you are looking for BIG bass.   I was planing on the HF2/3/5 when the fine deal on the ER4's came up.  In fact, Amazon has the ER4's for about $170, which makes them a stunning deal in comparison to the HF2/3/5 versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back