Looking for an "entry-level" AIO Balanced DAC/Amp
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Stillhart

CanJam@RMAF 2015 Karting Champion
Hi all,

I am looking for an affordable ("entry level") balanced DAC/Amp to use with my new LCD-2.2f.  I love my NFB-15 so I've been looking into the NFB-10 and NFB-28.  But I figure I need to at least see what other options are out there so I can do my research and feel comfortable dropping that kind of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other all-in-one units that might be suitable and are relatively inexpensive?  I'm not looking to move up to a Gungnir/Mjolnir here.  

Thx!

EDIT - Oh and looking for both USB and Optical inputs.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions.  The PB2 appears to be only an amp.  The ALO seems to only take USB input.  I think I'm going to need USB and Optical for my uses (which I forgot to mention!).

I read through the winter buying guide and the cheapest balanced DAC/Amp they had in there was the Oppo PM-1 at $1100.  :-/  While it sounds like a badass unit, I don't think I can swing that right now.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Oops - I was looking at the DB2 & PB2 and got it all mixed together in my head... The DB2 has USB, optical & digital coax - but it is a dac only. But, I suppose you could put the two together and still be less than the Oppo.

For some reason, I think I'm forgetting a product - I'll keep thinking about it...

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Oops - I was looking at the DB2 & PB2 and got it all mixed together in my head... The DB2 has USB, optical & digital coax - but it is a dac only. But, I suppose you could put the two together and still be less than the Oppo.

For some reason, I think I'm forgetting a product - I'll keep thinking about it...

Well the NFB-28 is also much cheaper than the Oppo and the NFB-10 is cheaper yet!  I swear I have to be missing something; Audio-GD can't be the best deal in town, can they?

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 8
I found the one I was thinking of - but it's not cheap either, and it doesn't have optical: http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

I think as soon as you talk Balanced, the price tag shoots way up. If you could find an inexpensive DAC with a balanced output, then I think you might have more options for balanced amps, but with the DAC, the list shrinks considerably.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Hm, they actually have a variation called the LX that has optical instead of iPhone input so it does have optical and USB.  It's got pretty good buzz (Tyll put it on the wall of fame).  But I have to wonder how well it would compare against the similarly priced NFB-28 or cheaper NFB-10.  There are usually concessions that come from being portable...

I think going with separate pieces doesn't do a ton in the way of lowering the price point, but if I can't find any other all-in-ones under $1000, it's probably worth looking into separate pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back