Looking for Best Sound Quality under $50
Jan 26, 2018 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

heavenriders

New Head-Fier
I am going to use them in my quiet room on my computer. I don't care about isolation, sound leakage, headphone type or tonal balance. All I want is the best sound Quality I can afford. I mostly listen to rock and classical music if that helps.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 23
My pick in that price range would be the semi-open on-ear Koss KTXPRO1.

However, it's not the easiest headphone to drive. I'd suggest eventually getting an amp or DAC/amp if you don't already have one.

I don't know about price and availability in India, but in the US it only costs ~$15, leaving room in the budget for electronics.

I've tried tons of headphones (from ultra-budget to ultra-high-end) and thought it was quite ironic that such a cheap and silly-looking headphone is what I preferred over so many other budget headphones. (As well as all the closed-backs I owned under $400!) Koss is the budget king in my eyes. I had other affordable Koss headphones (KSC75, Porta Pro, UR40, UR55) but the KTXPRO1 is easily my favorite.

If you can find a used Philips SHP9500, that's another contender, with a more spacious soundstage...but the KTXPRO1's strong dynamics (and so many other aspects of its sound that I find magical) are favorable for me.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 23
You might also consider a Superlux HD681 Evo and see what you think. As above, unsure about availability in India, but it is particularly good for rock, IMO. Cost in the US is between $40 and $50. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could potentially work.

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 23
What do you guys think about Monoprice modern retro? How do they compare to Koss KTXPRO1, Superlux HD681B and others?
Here are a couple of Zeos reviews of those products.

It seems like the modern retro is a pretty likeable headphone IF you are into emphasized bass.
In that budget range I like the Phillips 9500s if you can afford it....if not, then a very close second is the Superlux HD681.
You have to upgrade the pads on the 681 but once you do they are really good. Those are both open/semi open back headphones...for a closed back in that range check out the ISK MDH9000 ...they also have several clones that are identical so you might get a deal on one by Freeboss/Marantz/Lyxpro/Akai (only the Akai needs new pads, the rest of them have good stock pads)

the original 681, not the evos:
IMG_20180102_175505_552.jpg
I don't know much about the Evos to be honest, I'm not a fan of how they look, and the HD668B are ok...they sound almost as good as the 681 to me, but that headband sucks, with that knock-off 'wing system' .

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 23
As I mentioned, I think the KTXPRO1 outperformed all the closed-backs I owned under $400. This is just my opinion, of course.
I've seen you say this before...and I always hear the Big Lebowski in my head, "that's just, like, your opinion man"
I have heard the KTX pro...and felt them... now, granted,I haven't heard any $400 closed backs...but...I'm not sold. Koss headphones are ok...but for some reason some people are NUTS for them...I'm not a fan of closed back headphones either, but I have a set of Sony MDR7506 with fidelio L2 pads and I would take them over any of those lower tier Koss headphones.
I understand your passion...but it's almost misleading to sell the KTX as the be all end all, when it's more of a niche taste. It's like you are trying to convince us that Totino's Frozen Pizzas are better than any local-delivery-BS pizza...
this is just my opinion of course.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 23
I've seen you say this before...and I always hear the Big Lebowski in my head, "that's just, like, your opinion man"
I have heard the KTX pro...and felt them... now, granted,I haven't heard any $400 closed backs...but...I'm not sold. Koss headphones are ok...but for some reason some people are NUTS for them...I'm not a fan of closed back headphones either, but I have a set of Sony MDR7506 with fidelio L2 pads and I would take them over any of those lower tier Koss headphones.
I understand your passion...but it's almost misleading to sell the KTX as the be all end all, when it's more of a niche taste. It's like you are trying to convince us that Totino's Frozen Pizzas are better than any local-delivery-BS pizza...
this is just my opinion of course.

'Kay, but... How long did you own the KTXPRO1? Which other Koss headphones did you own? Which gear did you pair them with? Which music genres did you test with?

I've owned it for years. (I have three pairs now.) It scales from the Chord Mojo and doesn't sound nearly as good from cheap components. (Of course, I'm not telling anyone to get such an expensive DAC/amp if all they have are budget headphones.) I directly compared the KTXPRO1 to all sorts of headphones in all sorts of price ranges. It easily beat all the closed-backs under $400 that I owned (beyond that price range, the closed-backs outperformed it) and some open-backs too. I would even often reach for it over open-backs that cost four figures despite them being obviously better. (Just because of it doing certain things I enjoyed more with certain music.)

I don't like the MDR-7506 much. (And yes, I owned it.) It's unbearably bright and harsh...thin and tinny-sounding. (Click for measurements.) Improves a lot with EQ, but still sounds just average to me. The Yamaha HPH-MT220 is a much better closed-back...and even it sounds like a cheap toy compared to the KTXPRO1. I'm convinced that Koss put most of their budget into the headphone drivers, whereas most other headphone manufacturers focus on other things, like marketing, build, aesthetics, etc.

Anyway, yes, my impressions are subjective, just like anyone else's. But I can only speak from my own perspective. However, that perspective is from spending considerable time with everything. (As opposed to brief auditions.)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 23
It scales from the Chord Mojo and doesn't sound nearly as good from cheap components.
exactly. I never paired it with anything as nice as the Chord...and neither will the OP! Who cares if the KTX pairs well with expensive equipment , the question before us is, " I want the best sound Quality I can afford" and the budget is below $50. A KTX pro PLUS Chord Mojo is WELL above fifty bucks. Which brings me back to my point that perhaps the KTX (with it's need for good source equipment) isn't the amazing set of headphones you claim it to be. I mean, you said it yourself, I highlighted it in red..."doesn't sound nearly as good from cheap components."

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 23
exactly. I never paired it with anything as nice as the Chord...and neither will the OP! Who cares if the KTX pairs well with expensive equipment , the question before us is, " I want the best sound Quality I can afford" and the budget is below $50. A KTX pro PLUS Chord Mojo is WELL above fifty bucks. Which brings me back to my point that perhaps the KTX (with it's need for good source equipment) isn't the amazing set of headphones you claim it to be. I mean, you said it yourself, I highlighted it in red..."doesn't sound nearly as good from cheap components."

You misinterpreted me. It still sounds great from cheaper gear, and everything I stated above (like the comparisons) remains the same.

...You also did not answer my questions.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 23
'
Anyway, yes, my impressions are subjective, just like anyone else's. But I can only speak from my own perspective. However, that perspective is from spending considerable time with everything. (As opposed to brief auditions.)
Oh, I know this one! it's a classic..."all opinions are equal, but some opinions are more equal because they spent considerable time with everything" :)

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 23
Oh, I know this one! it's a classic..."all opinions are equal, but some opinions are more equal because they spent considerable time with everything" :)

So I take it you are not willing to elaborate on your experiences with Koss headphones... This means that anyone reading your posts about them has no frame of reference.

Opinions may be subjective, but some are better-informed; an example being spending years with a headphone on many systems rather than a few minutes on one system.

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 23
So I take it you are not willing to elaborate on your experiences with Koss headphones... This means that anyone reading your posts about them has no frame of reference.

Opinions may be subjective, but some are better-informed; an example being spending years with a headphone on many systems rather than a few minutes on one system.
I have considerable experience with Koss headphones and found them to be sometimes enjoyable but mostly cheaply made, plasticky, and just...lacking for my tastes. I understand you want to somehow declare your opinion 'more valid' than mine.....but come on, ultimately it's as valid as claiming your butthole is better than mine. We both have one buddy.
You love your KTX pros we get it. It's not necessarily the answer to all questions.

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 23
or to put it another way, I haven't listened to the KTX pro on a bunch of different expensive setups, over the course of many many years...but I bet dollars to donuts that the OP can find something better in the under $50 category than the thin wired, dorky looking cheaply made Koss....in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back