Looking for comfier headphones than ath-m50
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
Between the momentum and 1r, I'd choose the MDR 1r for slower types of music, and momentum for faster types, though I'd say you shouldn't get either, since they're definitely not the best at the price, especially the momentum.

Pick either the PSB m4u1 or KEF m500. Both are very comfortable. KEF is more airy and fast and accurate, and has better vocals, but the PSB has a wider soundstage, more isolation, and more foundation and body to the sound.

Momentum sounds alright, but the soundstage and presentation are horrible, everything sounds mushed. The momentum however does well with the details.

Nothing really sticks out with the 1r though. They are mid centric, and play only ok at higher listening levels. In order, I'd say pick either:
PSB M4u1
KEF M500
ATH WS99

I like your suggestions but im looking for over ear cans not on ear, sorry forgot to specify D: wrote my post in a rush lol

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #18 of 21
DT 770 bassy closed yet comfortable

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
Between the momentum and 1r, I'd choose the MDR 1r for slower types of music, and momentum for faster types, though I'd say you shouldn't get either, since they're definitely not the best at the price, especially the momentum.

Pick either the PSB m4u1 or KEF m500. Both are very comfortable. KEF is more airy and fast and accurate, and has better vocals, but the PSB has a wider soundstage, more isolation, and more foundation and body to the sound.

Momentum sounds alright, but the soundstage and presentation are horrible, everything sounds mushed. The momentum however does well with the details.

Nothing really sticks out with the 1r though. They are mid centric, and play only ok at higher listening levels. In order, I'd say pick either:
PSB M4u1
KEF M500
ATH WS99

Have you ever heard the m50's? If so how would you compare them overall to the mdr1r?

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
DT 770 bassy closed yet comfortable

+1 make sure you get the 80 ohm or 32 ohm version instead of the 250 ohm version though. What's the difference?  The 250 ohm will be virtually silent without an amp - designed for home use so that's out of the question.

The 80 Ohm version sounds great and can be driven ok from a portable device but you will lose a big amount of bass on most devices if you like to turn it up a bit. These headphones really benefit from a small portable amp, the Fiio E11 is a good choice as it drives them easily - I used it with these headphones for 2 years before recently getting the Fiio E12 amp which is much more powerful, with more battery life but also larger in your pocket.

The E12 is better if you want tonnes of bass at high volumes because by setting your phone at 50-70%, then setting the E12 to high gain and turning up the volume you can really lose all your hearing quite quickly! (don't try this at home kids - lol)

The 32 ohm version is easily driven by portable devices, but I have read some criticism that the sound signature isn't as good. I can't comment on this personally, because I don't own them.

If I had my time again, I'd STILL buy the 80 ohm version and carry around a amp with me when I need ultra heavy bass or if you find your particular mobile or other source device can't give them enough power.

To give you an idea, I started off with the Galaxy S2, then HTC Sensation XL, then Galaxy S3. None of these could drive them comfortably without the Fiio E11 in tow. However, starting with the HTC One X/XL, HTC phones had a built in small amplifier, so they could be driven better. I have the HTC One now (the new one with dual front speakers) and without an amp the DT770 at 80 ohms is driven OK. Turning it up to a comfortable level, i notice the highs are a bit harsher and bass not as refined and "clean", so I still carry an amp though to improve the sound and for quiet source files that would be otherwise hard to hear.

If your attitude is "I don't care how filfty and uncontrolled my bass is, I just want something better than the M50" then the DT770 Pro at 80 ohms is still a great choice.

The Fiio E11 is a very small amp though and isn't very expensive. It will increase the bass massively as well (it has 2 levels of bass boost) so if pocket space is at a premium i'd still say that's a great basshead combo.

The DT770 is by far and away the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, out of the 20 or so pairs i've owned, and comfort is tough for me because I wear glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back