Looking for Decent Headphones for Running
Jan 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FortySixAnd2

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]First time poster. I am looking to upgrade the Apple buds that came with my Nano and need something for running that has the 3-button  remote. I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate decent sounding tunes (last pair were Shure 530s but they were not for running). I bought a pair of B&W C5s and could not get them to stay in my ears (very disappointing as they did sound decent) so I took them back. I have read every running headphones post I can find but my questions remain unanswered so I’m hoping you guys can lend some advice. Also, I prefer to buy them in store because I am not shy about returning stuff and would rather not have to re-mail things. I listen to metal, rock, etc and appreciate solid bass. I’d rather not spend more than $200 …[/size]

[size=medium]My current list of headphones in the general ballpark is: [/size]
  1. [size=medium]Senn CX680i: seems to have the full package in terms of water/sweat resistance, staying in ear, and passable sound. Also, they are cheap and I can find them in store today.[/size]
  2. [size=medium]Yurbuds Ironman Inspire: I suspect they would stay in, but they seem grossly overpriced at $60 for the sound quality I’m guessing they’d put out.[/size]
  3. [size=medium]Dre Powerbeats: Can’t do it—from the company that sells $5 HDMI cables for $75.[/size]
  4. [size=medium]Klipsch s5i: likely decent sound, weatherproof, but I wonder how well they will stay in ear and I can’t find them in store anywhere. [/size]
  5. [size=medium]Marshall Minor FX: Not sweatproof and can’t find them anywhere. [/size]
  6. [size=medium]Bose mie2i: not really a fan and I hear these short out when presented with sweat.[/size]

[size=medium]Any feedback/comments would be appreciated. I hear you guys aren’t very helpful :wink: but I’ll take a shot anyway. Thx. [/size]

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 16
Haha, was that last line meant to be a challenge? Welcome to Head Fi anyway :3

I can't give you many specific recommendations, except one thing: most people here do not choose a good 200 dollar in-ear just for running just because plastic is plastic, and they are generally at risk of breaking no matter how much the manufacturer claims otherwise. If it gets caught on anything or even from the standard wear and tear, its not a great idea to choose a fancy pair for physical activity.

Quite a commonly recommended sports headset is the MeElec, which I bought for a friend. Sometimes it goes on sale for half the price (see if anyone else knows a coupon?) but you can get a version with a 1 button remote. Its hard to say if these will stay in your ears.

http://www.meelec.com/M6_Series_earphones_s/246.htm

Otherwise I'm sure those Sennheisers would do nicely. Remember that audio quality is probably secondary to ergonomics in this case - you certainly for instance don't want them so isolating that you end up being hit by a car.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 16
Look up the Fischer audio fa-004. Its a closed circum aural piece of greatness. I've ran with her outside, on the treadmill, weight lifting and they in my honest opinion sound better than the athm50. She sells for about 65-75 us $ + shipping since she is sold outside the US. Nice clear treble, liquid mid-range with great instrument separation, surprisingly adequate soundstage while having having a punch of bass that don't discolor the other frequencies.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Ive been on this running headphone journey for a few years and have Ive finished the journey at the senn CX680i as the only thing I use. Ive run some HMs and discarded headsets on the side of the road out of frustration. Honestly with the sweat, guzzling water at water stations, heat etc I just cant beat these and the fact you can take them off and wear them around your neck is a great. Its so easy one handed grabbing them off your ears and moving them down to your neck. And above all the sound is decent considering what your doing.. enough to zone out while running. Wouldnt buy anything else now but that journey took a few years and cost several head sets. 

Edit: I paid $120 Sing while there a year ago

http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line_504604

Welcome to the forum 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks to the everyone for the responses. My "I've heard you guys aren't very helpful ..." comment was just a shot at the guy who posted that sentiment recently. I bought a pair of thinksound ts02+'s yesterday but didn't get out of the parking lot before returning them due to the fact that for some reason they have a mic, a clicker, but no volume control. They did sound pretty good though and seemed to fit well in my ears. I then stopped at the Apple store and bought the CX680i's per Room40's comments (thanks!) and will give them a try. I didn't run with them this morning but listened for a few minutes and was admittedly underwhelmed by the sound but I may need to tinker with them to get the right fit, etc. I hope I am done with the search but will move to some of the other suggestions made here if the Sennheiser's don't work out.

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 16
A couple of runs in the CX680i's and they'll be going back to the store. Couldn't get them to stay in (or at least not tightly) despite trying all the combinations of included fins and tips. Perhaps it was because of the lack of fit, but the sound quality was definitely not what I expected--even with fairly low expections for this type of headphone.

Although I am not a fan of Monster, the iSport seems to have garnered overewhelmingly favorable reviews ... is this because Monster fanpersons are buying them or can someone comment on them actually being that good?  

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 16
The SQ isn't great, in fact I think they suck compared to my Senns 558 by a LONG SHOT, but I've used the Sony MDR-AS50. These things are light, and I mean lighter than ear buds. It looks big but it weighs next to nothing. The wire is also thin and short and comes with an extension wire. Not sure what iPod you're using but if its the shuffle in size, especially the tiny shuffle one you might as well pretend its not there when clipped on your shirt collar or something. Also these things never fall off, but they're not great if you're sweating a waterfall from your ears.
Note, I have NOT tried the CX 680i, but the sony ones worked for me, as I can turn me head as fast as I can and they won't fall off.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 16
I gotta recommend the Bose...

I have the IE2 version, and they're one of the best running headphones I've ever used.

They're open design, so you'll be able to hear cars, dogs, voices etc clearly underneath your music, and they disappear wonderfully in your ears.  They're incredibly comfortable, and actually stay in place.  My wife still is surprised when I'm able to have an accurate conversation with her while these are in place..

For the audiophile who is going to sit and analyze flac file after flac file, I wouldn't recommend them.  However someone less critical looking for a pair to jog in?  Heck yeah!  

These allowed my portapros to retire, and I loved my protapros!  

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 16
Don't really have any suggestions for headphones, but don't let headphones without a inline control stop you, there are plenty of companies that makes a add on piece with the buttons.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 16
If you're still after cans for running I can recommend PortaPros which someone else mentioned retiring, because they don't get hot and sweaty due to their open design and foam pads, they're nice and light and you can still hear some of the outside world. They tick the bass box as well and Koss now make a version with the remote you want:
http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/on-ear-headphones/PortaProKTC__Porta_Pro_KTC_On_Ear_Headphone

May 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Those porta pros look crazy huge! lol

I've used the Koss C375 and they were pretty awesome though.

So, back to the question...I think you're better off with some Sennheiser.  Here's a pretty decent post on some new workout earbuds that you didn't list, but I don't know about buying them in the store, I've always bought online.

http://www.workoutearbuds.com/best-earbuds-for-running/

May 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 16
I use sony EX800ST (or mdr 7550) for running and it never comes off my ears, so i think its good. plus you can still hear outside noise due to its vented design.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Haha, was that last line meant to be a challenge? Welcome to Head Fi anyway :3

I can't give you many specific recommendations, except one thing: most people here do not choose a good 200 dollar in-ear just for running just because plastic is plastic, and they are generally at risk of breaking no matter how much the manufacturer claims otherwise. If it gets caught on anything or even from the standard wear and tear, its not a great idea to choose a fancy pair for physical activity.

Quite a commonly recommended sports headset is the MeElec, which I bought for a friend. Sometimes it goes on sale for half the price (see if anyone else knows a coupon?) but you can get a version with a 1 button remote. Its hard to say if these will stay in your ears.

http://www.meelec.com/M6_Series_earphones_s/246.htm

Otherwise I'm sure those Sennheisers would do nicely. Remember that audio quality is probably secondary to ergonomics in this case - you certainly for instance don't want them so isolating that you end up being hit by a car.

I have the Meelec M6, and have tried it while working out. While the design looks like it will stay on as it wraps over your ear, it will not stay in when you start sweating, even when using the tri-flange tips. Sad though, as it has a relatively decent sound signature and would have done the trick. Problem is that if it would slide out while I was working out (which is just brisk walking), so running would definitely be out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back