Looking for DT 990 upgrade
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BIonde

New Head-Fier
Hello folks.

I primarily listen to electronic music, specifically genres such as Dubstep, Electro House and Progressive House. I also listen to classical and jazzy music every now and then. I currently own the DT 990 Pros and are quite happy with them. I'm just looking for some new headphones with a different sound signature that are still good for electronic music. I don't mind if the cans are open or closed. I was thinking about the AKG K701/K702/Q701 but decided that they would be too "cold" and analytical, with a very weak low end which simply does not bode well with electronic music. 

I'm currently trying to decide between: 

Denon AH-D2000 (heard they are basically a closed, less sibilant version of the DT 990) 
Sennheiser HD600 (waiting for price to drop) 
Sennheiser HD650 (waiting for price to drop, worried about "veil") 
Ultrasone Pro 750 
Hifiman HE-400 
Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm (trying to stay away, maybe too similar to DT 990s)

Bass (duh'), soundstage (some of the tracks have beautiful synths and strings that roll to infinity), mids and "resolution" are very important to me. My source is my PC and I'll be driving with a cMoy or Little Dot MK3. Which headphones do you guys recommend? Are there other ones that I should think about? My max budget is $350. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 5
While I do have the premium DT990's, I can offer a bit of insight on the HD650s when you compare them. With electronic, I think you may find them disappointing a bit. They don't sound bad, but when you compare it with the DT990, it just isn't as good IMO. I feel the HD650 has a much more natural tone to it, which doesn't mix well with electronic tones, but it certainly doesn't sound bad. As for the veil, I haven't noticed any veil with my setup. They do sound great classical and jazz as many before have posted. I would recommend searching for something else if you plan to use this new pair for mostly electronic. I got the HD650 to compliment my DT990s, and I really enjoy them for what the excel at.

Hope this helps and someone should be able to help with the other pairs you're curious about.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I primarily listen to electronic music, specifically genres such as Dubstep, Electro House and Progressive House. I also listen to classical and jazzy music every now and then. I currently own the DT 990 Pros and are quite happy with them. I'm just looking for some new headphones with a different sound signature that are still good for electronic music. I don't mind if the cans are open or closed. I was thinking about the AKG K701/K702/Q701 but decided that they would be too "cold" and analytical, with a very weak low end which simply does not bode well with electronic music. 
I'm currently trying to decide between: 
Denon AH-D2000 (heard they are basically a closed, less sibilant version of the DT 990) 
Sennheiser HD600 (waiting for price to drop) 
Sennheiser HD650 (waiting for price to drop, worried about "veil") 
Ultrasone Pro 750 
Hifiman HE-400 
Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm (trying to stay away, maybe too similar to DT 990s)
Bass (duh'), sound stage (some of the tracks have beautiful synths and strings that roll to infinity), mids and "resolution" are very important to me. My source is my PC and I'll be driving with a cMoy or Little Dot MK3. Which headphones do you guys recommend? Are there other ones that I should think about? My max budget is $350. 

What are you using for a DAC?

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 5
D2000 was my next step from a DT990. It retains much of the same sound signature except the bass extends deeper and with greater authority. You lose a lot of soundstage and airiness, though.

A soundcard as a source can either be good or bad depending on what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back