Looking for headphones! Help?
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cypher309

New Head-Fier
Looking for some nice over ear headphones my max is $150 maybe a little over if they are nice enough. I listen to everything like Johnny cash, dubstep, rock, indie, oldies, and rap. I also would like them to look cool.
How are the v-Moda crossfade LPs?

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Take a look at lJokerl's massive multi portable headphones review thread. Maybe the ATH-M50?

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Most new users like to have some extra bass, but neutrality is highly valued among audiophiles who have been in the hobby for a while. Unfortunately, looks are not a high priority for many, and most here will gladly use an ugly pair of headphones if the sound is good. There's a better selection of nice looking headphones at a slightly higher price range, but you may find a deal that puts them within your budget. The AKG K550's are very nice looking and get mentioned a lot in the best-looking headphones threads. Every once in a while you can find refurbs for around $150. But be warned that they're pretty light on the bass and tend more towards neutrality. The Sony MDR-1R also looks pretty nice, and some people have reported snagging them within your price range from eBay lately.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 13
I actually have these. So im pretty sure anything is gonna be ALOT nicer but i also want something that works good with all music but have good bass for the rap and dubstep.
And i can spend up to $200 But if its under that would be nice
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666367175

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 13
Since most consumer headphones have more bass than is neutral, you'll most likely think the K550's have too little bass, then. But you may come to like them in the future as you get more experienced in audio. I really like mine, but they wouldn't be the first headphones I'd reach for for rap and dubstep. There's also the Bowers and Wilkins P3 and P5. These are more fashion headphones than anything, but they aren't terrible soundwise for a headphone geared more towards looks.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 13
Do you think the MTH-M50s are a good all arounder? They are nice looking and very well priced but hows the sound?
And have you used the V-Moda crossfades? I dont know why but i really like the looks lol

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 13
The M50's are known for having a u-shaped response if that's what you're looking for. The newer version of it supposedly has less bass, though. I haven't tried any of the V-modas, but they certainly have their fans. For under $200 (you can score them for $150 if you look) and with boosted bass I like the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohms, but they're not going to win any beauty contests. The bass boost isn't as severe as many other consumer headphones, and the sound is fairly natural.

But since you haven't heard that many nicer headphones, I'd recommend you play around with a few options to see what you like. Maybe you'll want the extra bass, maybe you'll like something more neutral. I've found that the best approach is to buy headphones that interest me and sell off the ones I end up not liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back