Looking for headphones, sub $400
Jul 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there,

I am fairly new here, however I love my audio.

I currently have a pair of Senn Momentum's which I am tossing up whether to return them or not.
I find them a little uncomfortable, but overall I am FAIRLY happy with them.
I also have a pair of Vmoda's for when I feel electronically inclined and require a bass fix.

I guess my question is, what are the best sounding headphones sub $400 in peoples opinion.
I know sound is subjective, hence I asked for opinions.  There is no gospel.
I listen to a large range of music from dance to classical and rock so I understand there isnt going to be a one size fits all headphone for me.

I like the sound from the Senn Momentum's, but I feel perhaps I am missing something. I just don't know what.

With regard to sound I guess my only requirements are I need capable bass (not booming muddy horrible bass) but they need to be able to handle the occasional blast of 90's trance.
They also need to be easy to listen to.  I listen to music approximately 4 hours per day,  often in long stints, so something that is going to sound terrific, but eventually make my eyes bleed is also probably going to be unfavourable.

Any advice is always appreciated.

Also, I only have an e17 amp, so anything over 250 ohm is probably not going to work for me.

Thanks.

Scott

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the HE-400's that I'm looking to sell (bought in February of this year, not my cup of tea).  Any chance you're going to the Head-Fi meet in Los Angeles this weekend?

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I have the HE-400's that I'm looking to sell (bought in February of this year, not my cup of tea).  Any chance you're going to the Head-Fi meet in Los Angeles this weekend?

HI there,

Unfortunately not, I am based in Australia.
Out of interest, what about them isnt your cup of tea?

How much were you thinking you were after for them?

Scott

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi Scott,

The treble on the HE-400's was too much for me.  I think everyone has their own preferences and I don't care for the higher notes as much as other people perhaps.   I had to take the HE-400's off at one point because the treble (drum cymbals I think) was too much.  I more prefer the Hifiman HE-500 and Sennheiser HD650 sound. 

I have to say I don't find them as bright as I did when I first got them.  I'm not sure if they changed at all or if I adjusted to them.  Either way, while I like to try new headphones, I've got others I prefer so am considering selling the HE-400.  I haven't really thought too much on price yet but I imagine somewhere around $330 (US) for the headphones and then possibly a little extra for shipping depending on the cost for that. 

Sean

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hi Scott,

The treble on the HE-400's was too much for me.  I think everyone has their own preferences and I don't care for the higher notes as much as other people perhaps.   I had to take the HE-400's off at one point because the treble (drum cymbals I think) was too much.  I more prefer the Hifiman HE-500 and Sennheiser HD650 sound. 

I have to say I don't find them as bright as I did when I first got them.  I'm not sure if they changed at all or if I adjusted to them.  Either way, while I like to try new headphones, I've got others I prefer so am considering selling the HE-400.  I haven't really thought too much on price yet but I imagine somewhere around $330 (US) for the headphones and then possibly a little extra for shipping depending on the cost for that. 

Sean

Hi Sean,

I have heard that the HE400's can overwhelming in the highs.
I have also heard however that their bass is quite powerful and overall they are a fantastic phone.

All the very best with the sale, I can pick them up around the $400au with a warrantee over here so I might look at going down that path.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back