Looking for headphones to replace my ath-es7
Jul 25, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 37
hey! thanks for the warm welcome. i want something with more bass, and an overall nicer sound. no amp, but i am contemplating if i should get a crossroads amp, but its superduper expensive. i think i'd rather get a new headphone. any suggestions?

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 37
Haha... I have the same problem as you and did some listening/researching...
Everyone's definition of nice is difference so I suggest you try them out first...
wink_face.gif

It's that you could answer Yound Spade's question so to help you better...
biggrin.gif

You can try the following (All within your budget):
Shure SH840
Grado SR225i
ATH-AD900
ATH-A900
Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 Ohm)

Btw, are you in Singapore?
Cheers...

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 37
i heard open back headphones sound nicer then closed back or smth but just that they let noise in. is that true? lol, sorry but im not that educated about sound signatures and stuff. could you explain? thanks man. 

yeap, im singaporean. you?

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 37
Yes, Open cans do lead sound and they have wider soundstage I believe.
So do you use the cans for portable or home use?
What kind of music you listen to?
Plus the question ask by Yound Spade...
smile.gif

And yes, I'm from Singapore...
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 37
I find that my Audio Technica W1000 closed headphones actually sound better than my AKG K701s. The vocals are just so much more natural yet still crisp. The soundstage is still huge and the bass response is a little better. The highest highs are not as clean as discernible as the AKGs, but those highs can get fatiguing fast. I've recently started to come to the realization that open is not always better.

What is the maximum price you can spend? We can start there and go down

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 37
I have the D7000. Apparently the 5000 has more mid bass than the 7000. I thought the 7000 already has plenty of bass. Too much bass on NON- (hip hop, rock, rap, electro)   music, but works well for the opposite. I think Audio Technica headphones has absolutely amazing vocals. They are great acoustic headphones. Great for "natural" instruments.

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 37
you have any idea whats the price of a D5000? hahah, yep i totally agree. i love vocals on my es7, but argh, really lacking the boom im looking for. are the D7000s vocals as good as the es7?

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 37
Aren't Denon mids recessed? I.e. not good for vocals. As I mentioned before, look into the ESW9s :)

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 37
It's probably better. From what I remember the mids on the ES7 were a bit recessed just like the D7000. The D7000 should be a similar sound with an improvement in everything. Soundstage would be huge compared to ES7's.

Vocals are still better on my W1000s than the Denons tho.  Vocals are also better on my ESW portables than my Denons. Audio Technica simply has great vocals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back