Looking for low profile IEMs
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sleepdeprecation

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi! As the thread title says, I'm looking for some new low profile IEMs.

Some background, my dog decided that my Sennheiser IE 300s looked like a fun chew toy for him and destroyed one of the housings. I used them as my somewhat cheaper, just throw it in my bag and take them with me IEMs (usually connected to an around the neck style bluetooth cable), and the low profile was nice for using in bed because it never felt like they were being pushed too far into my ears.

My at home headphones generally alternate between my Sennheiser IE 600s and HD 560s. I did just pull out my Moondrop Starfields to see if they'd work as a replacement, and while I like the tone they feel quite heavy and stick out of my ears much further than the IE 300s.

I'm not opposed to buying a new set of the IE 300s (especially because they are half off on amazon today), but I am also curious if anyone has any recommendations I may not have heard of before.

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sound magic e80c I had sounded good for the price and low profile enough to fit while wearing a helmet. I'd get those again if I got another bike. The C version supports Android controls for volume, it's the only difference.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Integrated cable options are definitely going to be easier to fit, but because I'm using a bluetooth module that's in behind the head single wire form factor I kinda need detachable ones.

I did just end up getting another IE 300 because they were on sale half off and I know I like them, but I also decided to see if the Tin Hifi T4 would work. I had a set of the T2s, and remember them being quite small, but I couldn't remember if they were fall asleep levels of small.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Integrated cable options are definitely going to be easier to fit, but because I'm using a bluetooth module that's in behind the head single wire form factor I kinda need detachable ones.

I did just end up getting another IE 300 because they were on sale half off and I know I like them, but I also decided to see if the Tin Hifi T4 would work. I had a set of the T2s, and remember them being quite small, but I couldn't remember if they were fall asleep levels of small.
I think the IE 300 is probably the no.1 choice at this price range especially at half price. But if you want to take a step forward some used mid-tier Sony IER M9's, CA Andro 2020's and FIR VxV are solid low profile choices. You won't regret the price because the clarity at this level is worth it.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 5
So I have the CA holocenes (and the polaris v2), and that style shell protrudes more than I want. I did consider the CA honeydew, because I also have one of their onyx sets from last year’s multiverse event, and they are a nice size, but I’m not sure that’s the sound profile I want for this use case.

But also honestly once things start hitting the $500-1000 range I’m super happy with the senny IE 600s, and would probably go with another set of those or try out the IE 900s.

That said the Tin T4 was delivered today, and I’m really liking the sound on these coupled with the fiio lc-bt1 I’m using for the compact wireless option. The IE 300s with the lc-bt1 sounded kinda muddy and lacking in details, where the T4s are much closer to the sound I’m looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back