Looking for new cans, what can you recommend?
Apr 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Hey all I've been out of headphones for a while but I'm ready to jump back in. I want a pair of home headphones that don't require a ridiculously powerful amp, the excellent HP amp on my Decco is strong enough to drive Grado PS1ks so I think it should be fine with most. I'd also prefer to stay away from anything requiring an energizer (AKA STAX). I want to keep it under $300 but I am also considering spending a little more for Hifiman HE-400s, unless there is some other headphone that's come out that's much better, then that's my top limit. 

So for now, under $300, closed or open no matter, for all genres of music from edm to soundboard recordings of jam bands to gangsta rap to Swedish death metal to Tom Waits to... you get the picture. I do have a strong headphone amp built into my integrated but not strong enough for top-tier high impedance phones. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Hmm...looks like you've owned Stax, so now you want to slum it a little huh? jk

I'm making this recommendation a lot lately, because it's one that I really believe in. You be hard pressed to find a better closed ortho than the Maddog by Mr. Speakers. You amp will be just fine for it. Beautiful mids, dark/neutral treble and serious audiophile bass. It's a complete hp that competes with others twice as expensive. Exceptionally comfortable, great isolation and a 15 day return policy. 

Great hp!!

gL...

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hmm...looks like you've owned Stax, so now you want to slum it a little huh? jk

I'm making this recommendation a lot lately, because it's one that I really believe in. You be hard pressed to find a better closed ortho than the Maddog by Mr. Speakers. You amp will be just fine for it. Beautiful mids, dark/neutral treble and serious audiophile bass. It's a complete hp that competes with others twice as expensive. Exceptionally comfortable, great isolation and a 15 day return policy. 

Great hp!!

gL...

The maddog looks very interesting, I think I'll have to give it a go. 

Haha the stax I owned were pretty low-end, only the SR-5. The sound was great but I'd rather not have an energizer taking up my speaker taps. And at least the option to run from a portable source would be great.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 4
^^ If you end up with the MD please give me a shout back to let me know what you think. Everyone that I've recommended them to has really liked them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back