Looking for new headphones, need some help on choosing.
Nov 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hitman9000

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 and a FiiO E17 Headphone Amplifier but to me I feel the bass is lacking, hence the reason for the thread. I mostly listen to Rap, Dubstep, Drum n bass, pop, etc. Also I would like headphones that don't muffle the sound too much when turned up like Beats by Dre Studios, any suggestions are welcomed :)

Some headphones that I have considered buying: 

Sennheiser HD 449 
Sony MDR-XB500 
Ultrasone HFI 580
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

Forgot to mention that my budget is between $150 - $250. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 and a FiiO E17 Headphone Amplifier but to me I feel the bass is lacking, hence the reason for the thread. I mostly listen to Rap, Dubstep, Drum n bass, pop, etc. Also I would like headphones that don't muffle the sound too much when turned up like Beats by Dre Studios, any suggestions are welcomed :)

Some headphones that I have considered buying: 

Sennheiser HD 449 
Sony MDR-XB500 
Ultrasone HFI 580
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

Forgot to mention that my budget is between $150 - $250. 

Heya,

With the bass switch/EQ setting up, you find the bass lacking?

I'm afraid nothing will ever be bassy enough for you if that's the case.

I would swap the M50 for the HFI580. The XB500 is easily the "bassiest" headphone out there, but it's mids & treble are pretty terrible. But it's a cheap toy you could get a bass fix with and play with. You could also try to just find a used Ultrasone PRO900.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey there, just some observations from someone who has recently went through a bunch of headphones in the entry level (100-150) range.  I listen to mainly the same genres you do, and run my phones through an e11 amp.  I have never heard the m50s but a friend of mine who produces music is quite happy with them, he said they offer a good idea of what his music truly sounds like.  

If you want bass, and dont mind it being on the boomier end of the spectrum, go get the maudio q40s and slap the beyerdynamic velour pads on them, and be happy with your choice.

If you want something tighter, then a couple of good choices were the sennheiser hd25.  If you like dnb, andy C swears by these headphones, and they are really awesome, but comfort is not it's forte.  The sound is aggressive, punchy, and tight.  I enjoy it immensely for an hour or so until my noggin is in pain.

The ultrasone hfi-780 is nice too.  Bass is tight, and front and center.  The soundstage is good to me, and the music can take on that "epic" feeling which is cool for some dubstep tracks.  The treble is quite harsh, I just started to notice this last night when comparing to my shure srh840s.  It's a no nonsense sound, again I think it's best to really decide what priorities you have and try diff signatures.  

Just some suggestions, YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back