Looking for new IEM'S and step up from my Fiio FH7
Jun 5, 2022 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Brynjar Odinson

New Head-Fier
as described in the title i am looking for new iem's. i am an electronic music lover and metalhead. i prefer linear sound but have no problem with fun sounding headphones if the whole package is good. i am currently selecting iem's that might fit my needs. you can see what i use now in my signature.
so far i have selected:
- Lime Ears Aether R Custom
- UM Mext
- UM Mest Mk2
- Empire Ears Valkyre
- 64audio N8
- 64audio Nio
- 64audio u12t
- Meze Rai Penta
- Hidition Viento Custom

Price Range >2000 $

Or maybe you have a recommendation what would fit my needs. Only 2 Years using IEM's and not quite sure what i should get.
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 13
This is such an expensive range to blind buy in... is there no place for you to demo some?

If not, it might actually be cheaper for you to fly to the London Canjam lol.

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 13
This is such an expensive range to blind buy in... is there no place for you to demo some?

If not, it might actually be cheaper for you to fly to the London Canjam lol.
no not really. the meze rai penta is the only iem in the 1k price range that is avaiable to demo. switzerland is not a good place for that. or maybe i don't know where xD but i googled a lot and we have not really an audiophile audio store here that has units to demo.
haha, yeah that could be true. it is not that far away
but on the other side. they have a good reseel value i think.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 13
I can only tell you that I also listen to electronic and have briefly heard the Mext, Mest Mk2, Valkyre and Nio. The Nio was by far my favorite of these.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 13
I can only tell you that I also listen to electronic and have briefly heard the Mext, Mest Mk2, Valkyre and Nio. The Nio was by far my favorite of these.
as far as i have seen on crinacle i think the rai penta, nio and aether r are as "linear" as my current fh7. i don't know if the bass on the mext and mest is too high for my taste. but i really like the style of those. i really prefer linear sounding headphones as i also want to use the iems for music producing. i really like the performance of the sound of the fh7 but want to have a tad more quality.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 13
I haven't heard the FH7. On the Mest, I don't remember there being too much bass... the Mext, I honestly didn't care for, so didn't demo them extensively.

Jun 5, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 13
I haven't heard the FH7. On the Mest, I don't remember there being too much bass... the Mext, I honestly didn't care for, so didn't demo them extensively.
ah ok. on the graph it show that there is a 10db attenuation compared to the rai penta up to 50hz. so a bit more sub bass. compared to the fh7 it has 5db more bass. that is really not that much. but compared to a linear sounding iem it is a lot. so you liked the mest too? anything that really is a no go? somehow i do not like the looks of the 64audio iem's and i tend more to something like the mest or the aether r

Jun 5, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 13
ah ok. on the graph it show that there is a 10db attenuation compared to the rai penta up to 50hz. so a bit more sub bass. compared to the fh7 it has 5db more bass. that is really not that much. but compared to a linear sounding iem it is a lot. so you liked the mest too? anything that really is a no go? somehow i do not like the looks of the 64audio iem's and i tend more to something like the mest or the aether r
Yeah, that's why it's best to try them, though I understand your situation. My audio memory sucks so best to find someone that owns some of these.

Jun 5, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 13
Yeah, that's why it's best to try them, though I understand your situation. My audio memory sucks so best to find someone that owns some of these.
yes, you may be right. just found out that a local store has the meze and 64audio iems wich you can test for a week at home. i will at least try the rai penta and maybe the nio too. just have to look for some way to demo the aether and mest. thanks for the tips and answers

Jun 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 13
yes, you may be right. just found out that a local store has the meze and 64audio iems wich you can test for a week at home. i will at least try the rai penta and maybe the nio too. just have to look for some way to demo the aether and mest. thanks for the tips and answers
Let us know what you end up getting! From what you're saying, the Rai Penta might be a good fit.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 13
so, after a bit of research and graph comparsion i narrowed it down to the Mest mk2, 64audio Nio and Lime Ears Aether R / Pneuma. I will recieve the Nio, Aether R and Pneuma next week for 1 week to test. Found a nice Shop wich you can test all stuff for 1 week. The Downside is it has only a small selection.
I will let you know what i will get in the End

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 13
so, after a bit of research and graph comparsion i narrowed it down to the Mest mk2, 64audio Nio and Lime Ears Aether R / Pneuma. I will recieve the Nio, Aether R and Pneuma next week for 1 week to test. Found a nice Shop wich you can test all stuff for 1 week. The Downside is it has only a small selection.
I will let you know what i will get in the End
That's a nice solution. Is there a demo fee/deposit which then gets applied to your potential purchase?

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 13
That's a nice solution. Is there a demo fee/deposit which then gets applied to your potential purchase?
yeah so i can test at least some of the iem's. no it is completly free. i just have to sign a contract that i return them after a week otherwise i have to pay. so, where is a safe place in alaska i can run to? xD Just joking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back