Looking for open cans to be used UNamped FOR MP3 LANGUAGE COURSES
Apr 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rudolfs

Head-Fier
I tried to locate information in the existing fora but did not find any answers, therefore I went for a new thread.

I am looking for open circumaural headphones for my wife.
She will use them unamped, most probably with Sansa clip+, mainly at home.
Headphones have to be comfortable (she dislikes supraaural), reasonably tough, and I guess she would not mind if they looked good.
They must be open so that she hears what kids are up to.
And last but not least, the plan is to use the phones mainly for speech (language courses), - although fine music reproduction is always welcome in case if the cans remain but the enthusiasm to learn languages wanes.

My current shortlist is Senn HD 598, AT ATH-AD700 (or 500), or AKG K 701.
(I considered beyers but it leads to 32 Ohm 880/ 990 since AFAIK 910 are not as comfortable or tough, - but 880/990 are quite heavy, 880 veil ambient sounds, and we both disliked 990 Pro).

Senn 5xx are familiar (515), they are very comfortable, minimal isolation, they are easy to drive and their build quality is sufficient (well, 598 are known to crack) . However, none of us really likes the sound of 515. Moreover, pricewise HD598 are rather colose to K 701 .
I have not seen any ATs in person as they are not very popular here, which leads to comparatively higher prices on AD700 (still below HD598 price).
K 701 were [barely] loud enough plugged in Sansa Clip+, they are comfortable, (although very large), but a tad too expensive for a daily beater.

I would be very interested in comments on these or any other headphones, in particular as regards build quality, comfort and unaped sound of HD 598 vs AD700.

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the idea, - I considered 555 / 595 first (that was how I learned that there are HD 5x8s now), HD 595s are not readily available any more, and the ones still around are not much cheaper than HD 598 (~10% difference).
Belgium retailers offer a rather limited choice - I can buy HD 555 locally for the price of HD 598 delivered by amazon.de.

May 4, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, finally I ordered HD 598. Spent a week with them, returning today.
HD 598 are 'nice' looking, they sound better than Koss PortaPro and, while unamped, they are at least as good as any phones I have. When amped, HD 598 are even better, and clearly better than lesser phones. They are possibly on a par with DT 770 Pro (250), but still nowhere near K 701 or DT 880/600('05). But of course you cannot really use the last three unamped at all.
So HD 598 are really good unamped and still better when amped. As such they have an obvious niche.
The downside is that unamped they are not considerably better than old HD 515. Or Sony V6. Different, somewhat better, but not worth the outlay. Amped HD 598 are better than those two, but I already have headphones which I like considerably better when amped.
And for the main purpose - language course material - I actually prefer HD 515.
Moreover, apart from the grilles and cable, the build quality of HD 515 and 598 is substantially the same. All main elements are made of the same type of plastic. OK, HD 598 have metal grilles, I give them that, but that's about it. Who on Earth cares for fake wood and pleather and/or leatherette?? I did not mind the colour scheme, but given the materials it is not stylish, but rather tacky. And just try to extrapolate the traces of wear of HD 515 (or 555 or 595 for that) on creamy HD 598, - they do not develop patina, they start looking shabby in a year or two.
For my main question, HD 515 and possibly PortaPro will have to do as the language course "workhorse".
As for Senn sound, I indeed liked it, and I am getting HD 600 while I can (Amazon.fr for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back