Looking for over-headphones $200-$300 range!
Aug 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

amipat01

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fi community! Came here because almost everyone on these forums seem well experienced and can hopefully share their insight with me! 

I'm looking for over-ear headphones in the $200-$300 range. I listen to a lot of EDM, house music etc. I guess the main objective of my headphones is for house music type tracks (good bass is a must)!! However, I hope the headphones will be pretty suitable for hip-hop and rap too.

Noise-Canceling isn't a must, but it would be nice, and of course a little isolating would be nice too. I don't want to follow the pack and go for the beats by dr dre, when there are much better headphones out there for a similiar if not cheaper price. I was thinking of waiting about a week or two more for VMODA M100 to come out (apparently they are basically an over-ear version of the on-ear M-80s which got good praise) which is coming soon expected for $300. But of course, there are hundreds of headphones out there and I'm willing to take hear other options!!

PS: I'm not going to be plugging these headphones into any amps or that sort, just my ipod and laptop. So I was hoping for something portable. I'll prob be using it mostly at home, but I will take it in transportation and walks of that sort. Also, I'd say my head is kind of small so on the small chance that some headphones are known to be notoriously huge, I'd prefer not to get them haha. Also, I would like to have a small chord, nothing too huge. Thanks again!!

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hey head-fi community! Came here because almost everyone on these forums seem well experienced and can hopefully share their insight with me! 

I'm looking for over-ear headphones in the $200-$300 range. I listen to a lot of EDM, house music etc. I guess the main objective of my headphones is for house music type tracks (good bass is a must)!! However, I hope the headphones will be pretty suitable for hip-hop and rap too.

Noise-Canceling isn't a must, but it would be nice, and of course a little isolating would be nice too. I don't want to follow the pack and go for the beats by dr dre, when there are much better headphones out there for a similiar if not cheaper price. I was thinking of waiting about a week or two more for VMODA M100 to come out (apparently they are basically an over-ear version of the on-ear M-80s which got good praise) which is coming soon expected for $300. But of course, there are hundreds of headphones out there and I'm willing to take hear other options!!

Thanks!

One's that I have heard and are good:
Beyer DT770 80 ohm $200 but needs an amp and or DAC so total $300
Ultrasone HFI 580-$145-$178

One's I haven't heard but just to let you know are options with others liking them for EDM
Maudio Q40
Ultrasone Pro 900 (said to be kings)
Vmoda LP/LP2/M80/M100?

Most of these phones from my understanding besides the Beyer do not need an amp. I can not give you specific info on the one's I haven't tried and I may be wrong so please do some research on their driveability.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 7
+1 V-Moda M80 / M100 :)))

Ultrasones - HFI 580 / 780 / 750 Pro / 900 Pro   ( Edited and added HFI 580 )

+1 Beyers - DT 770 or Darth Beyers

Cheerz!

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
+1 V-Moda M80 / M100 :)))

Ultrasones - HFI 780 / 750 Pro / 900 Pro

+1 Beyers - DT 770 or Darth Beyers

Cheerz!

I've heard from a few people that they really didn't like the 780's for EDM. IT is said the 780's are the non bassy but rock version. HFI 580 has just the right amount of bass without going over, I wouldn't take any less bass from a lover of EDM

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I've heard from a few people that they really didn't like the 780's for EDM. IT is said the 780's are the non bassy but rock version. HFI 580 has just the right amount of bass without going over, I wouldn't take any less bass from a lover of EDM

Perhaps I should add that too...You have a point on the EDM thingi. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

What source(s) are you plugging into?

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 7
I forgot to mention something pretty important. I'm not going to be plugging these headphones into any amps or that sort, just my ipod and laptop. So I was hoping for something portable. I'll prob be using it mostly at home, but I will take it in transportation and walks of that sort. Also, I'd say my head is kind of small so on the small chance that some headphones are known to be notoriously huge, I'd prefer not to get them haha. Also, I would like to have a small chord, nothing too huge. Thanks again.

And I'm extremely close to buying the Crossfade LP's off of amazon for $130. The reviews are all fantastic and I'm about to purchase it. As my first real headphones, I'm not sure if spending $300 for the Vmoda m100 when they come out soon might be the best choice. Can someone tell me what they think of the crossfade LP's? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back