Looking for some help on what to get.
Jun 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Camjon

New Head-Fier
I am new to the whole headphone game. I came across this site last week and have been looking since. I have been to BB and heard the Studios. I like the base. So since I have heard different things about them I asked my friend if he knew anything as good or better for $300. He said look at Sennheiser.  So I looked around and found the HD598 then I found this site. So since I have talked to my sale person at Crutchfield. She said that B&W P5 is something to look at. So I went buy BB today and went back to the studios to see if I can use my own music. Then I went to the Magnolia area. They had the HD558 and the B&W P5 that I could play my own music to. Since I'm interested in the HD598 AND NOT THE HD558 I didnt spend too much time listening to that pair. I did listen a lot to the B&W P5. I enjoyed how clear they sounded and they were not over basey  like the Studios. I dont think that I will be able to try out a pair of the HD598. From what I have read the sound charts on these tend to be a little flat. So I am wanting to know if there is a headphone that has just a bit more base than the P5 but not overpowering like the Studios that has the clear crisp sound that the P5 already has? I may buy the P5 and test them out at home on my receiver to see if it gets what I want. So for now unless there is ideas I'm looking at the HD598 and the P5. I'm looking to spend no more than $300. I listen to rap, 80's hair bands and grunge. Thanks for your thoughts!

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 25
Haven't tried the P5s, so I can't directly comment on what you heard, but "bass but not overpowering, clear crisp sound" makes me think of either the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or the Sennheiser HD 580/600. Get the 2400 if you want "more" bass, the 600 if you want "less" bass (there are other differences too, but the biggest difference will be in bass impact). I like both of them with grunge (the bits that I listen to). I like the Sennheiser for rap immensely, the Ultrasone probably a bit less so. You'd have to give me some examples of "80's hair bands" for me to comment there.

Personally I found the 555s and 595s boring - and assume the new xx8s are just an evolution of that line. Some people say they're similar to the 580/600/650 - I don't see it.

If you want a closed can, the Denon AH-D2000 is a VERY popular suggestion, and was just recently discontinued - availability may be problematic.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 25
From what i know the 558's and the 598's use the same driver. Take a look at this post. For your genres i'd go with something like ultrasone. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 25
B&W P5's are pretty overpriced for what they are. There are still better options than those in that price range. The Sennhieser HD-25II and the HD 380 PRO are great, and are around 100 dollars less. If you are willing to pay as much as the P5's get the Grado SR325i or the Beyerdynamic 1350. Denon AHD-2k's are good too, much sadly they are discontinued :frowning2:

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 25
I found the Denon's online so that may be an option. I'm just not to keen on their receivers so that bothers me a little. It seems from reading one of the links above that the 598 sound like the 558 and I wasn't satisfied with the sound of the 558.

Also I did see a headphone ranking on this site. Is that ranking best to worse or most popular?

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 25
I would consider the d2k for well under your budget. You could add an e10 and still be in budget!!!

gL!!

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 25
Well from what I can tell I can add the Sennhieser HD-25II, Grado SR325is, along with the P5s and 598s. Who knew it would be so difficult when all I knew before was I liked the bass of the studio's.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So the Ultrasone HFI-580, the price is $125. The reviews seem to be good but that's a cheap price for quality and great sound.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 25
The only thing is that from what I know Denon is known for their receivers just like Pioneer and Yamaha. Im not sure about the other products these other companies make. I did however find the Denon's online for about $300.

Denon makes some of the best regarded headphones, probably in Head-Fi history. Even people who aren't fans (like me), aren't ripping them apart; they aren't offensive. $300 is fair, and they'll completely obliterate the Beats headphones.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So the Ultrasone HFI-580, the price is $125. The reviews seem to be good but that's a cheap price for quality and great sound.

Wouldn't even go down this road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back