Looking for some relatively inexpensive closed cans..
Aug 2, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
Selling my 595's simply because I can't stand the open-air design, and am looking to downgrade a bit into the 40-80 dollar category and get something closed. I mostly listen to blues-rock stuff like Hendrix and mostly stuff like that, lots of Pink Floyd stuff as well - so sound quality is pretty important to me, Dark Side of the Moon performs very well on these 595's. so bass isn't very important. I want something pretty in your face, as rock and roll should be, and comfort is great as well, anyone got anything?

hell - even some earbud style headphones would work.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 19
I'd say the Koss Pro3AA has a pretty rockin' sound to it. It's very forward, bright, lively sound, good bass punch, and sealed, and only cost about $30 on ebay.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 19
If you can find a pair of (discontinued) Sony Eggos in the FS forum, jump on them. I think I picked mine up for around $60, if I remember correctly. Fantastic closed (and even portable) cans!

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 19
the PX200 is a little laid back and not in your face, and sounds slightly slow and smears complex musical passages.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 19
Pink Floyd and Hendrix are quite different. Do you want sound stage (like the HD595) or a more close up, forward, and in your face type of sound?

The reason I ask is, IMO, Pink Floyd sounds better to me with some sound stage, while Hendrix (my favorite guitarist) sounds good either way.

FWIR...

I would not expect the Sennheisers in this price range to have a forward sound.

The Koss UR40 is semi-open, with sound stage, and it would be my pick in the $40 price range for listening to Pink Floyd (1st) and Hendrix (2nd).

However, personally, I would buy a recabled Creative Aurvana Live (CAL!) if I could for $80 (possible?) before considering other closed headphones for listening to Pink Floyd and Hendrix. I currently enjoy my CAL! from a cheap receiver and XS71 sound card with this and other classic rock music without a recable.

1st Edit:
Oh, and I used to enjoy a 120 Ohm HD595 from a H/K receiver mostly with jazz, not nearly exciting enough for rock.

2nd Edit:
Forgot about the RX700. FWIR, I'd buy and mod the RX700 for ~$34 over the similarly priced UR40. I have not used either, but I do own the RX900.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 19
Well I love my JVC HA-RX700's, especially after a couple of quick and easy mods, bang for the buck they're amazing closed phones imo, though I tend to stay in the lower more affordable end of the HP spectrum. They can have tons of bass or a little bass, without some EQ-ing I find they're a little bass shy. I also recently purchased a pair of JVC HA-DX3's, which are much more in your face and have more mid/treble detail. They seem even more bass shy w/o EQ-ing than the 700's at this point, but can be increased easily for much more than I can stand. Overall I don't think they're a better value than the 700's (which ran me $33 shipped, the DX3's ran me about $100 shipped). But the difference in soundstage and presentation is quite interesting and enjoyable, I do find myself reaching more for the DX3's at this point, but they're still quite new so I'm working on breaking them in (by listening to them along the way). I listen to all sorts of old and new rock, hard rock, metal, some pink floyd, hendrix for sure, and I enjoy both of them, but I have not heard the 595's or higher quality phones so I dunno if my recommendation is good for you or not.

But the HA-DX3's are closed, and the 700's have a small ring vent around the rear of the cup, they don't really leak unless you're really pushing volume though...beyond what feels comfortable to listen to, but the overall presentation is easily worth the money imo. Though I've read good things about the Koss ur40's, I've also read of guys replacing them with the HARX700's and being happy, though different ears listen for and want different things, frankly I'm quite happy. I've also read good things about modded CAL HP's too...I might have to try those out someday...I had to go with something that would perform better for rock and I wanted the ability for bass without massive distortion when I wanted it, both my sets perform great when I want them to and I can easily remove it when I need, though I run from a PC sound card (Auzen Forte) for either HP so an EQ is within easy reach. Both are comfy, and the 700's with Graphicism's pad foam mod is great, but the DX3's with the velour pads are comfy out of the box for much longer periods of time. Just some food for thought, I'll admit I'm not an uber audiophile, but I do enjoy good sounding music, movies and games, both headphones I've chosen have treated me very well...with the 700 being the most suprising overall. So might be worth looking into for ya, might not though, depends on your source and how much bass you do or don't want and how capable you'd be of modulating it to levels you could accept or if you run w/o eq etc.

beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 19
See if you can pick up a Sony MDR-V6 in that price range. I had a pair for years and loved them. Well, before I discovered this place.
wink.gif
Even after all the high-end gear, I think the venerable V6 is a good headphone. You can find them refurbished for $50-$60 (check sonystyle.com) and they're a wonderful value.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See if you can pick up a Sony MDR-V6 in that price range. I had a pair for years and loved them. Well, before I discovered this place.
wink.gif
Even after all the high-end gear, I think the venerable V6 is a good headphone. You can find them refurbished for $50-$60 (check sonystyle.com) and they're a wonderful value.

x2. It's really good for the price. You can always find it under $100. In fact....

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no right or wrong in preferring open or closed headphones.

I'm aware, but understanding why he doesn't prefer open air could give us a better understanding as to what we should recommend

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 19
i've heard lots about the sony's - but are they comfortable?

and regarding my taste in music, hendrix, pink floyd, led zeppelin - i like an in your face crunchy sound, but a deep sound is nice too if you know what i mean for the pink floyd, softer stuff.

and the open airs just leaked WAY too much sound, with my 595's turned up you could hear it on the other side of the house, which is kind of inconvenient for me since people live with me. i also just quit my job - so they are kind of out of my budget even though i already have them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 19
When you talk about a deep sound are you referring to bass or sound stage depth?

To my ears, the low bass of the sony mdr-v6 has a good presence. I really like it.

If by crunchy sound you mean a nudge up at 2-3.75 khz, then you might find what your looking for in the v6.

I find my v6s comfy enough to wear for several hours. Their headband can be bent to adjust clamping force like with grados and have a thin layer of padding. The earpads have a semi-circumaural design that I find more comfy than a pure supra aural designed headphone like the hd25, but not as comfy as a pure circumaural like a dt770. Additionally, I find them to be lightweight enough to "disappear". I should also mention that sometimes their earpads can get warm and sweaty.

I got my v6s refurbed from sonystyle. They're the ones made in Thailand. My only problems with them is that my pair has a skewy soundstage and some LR channel imbalance. I hope the issues will get better as they burn though, If not I might have to look into a pair of new 7506s, because I really like the build quality, comfort and design of these phones. I've had the mdr-v6 for about a month. Other than that I'm satisfied for what I paid for.

I find the V6s to be a very nice combination of convenience, value, comfort and sound for my casual listening. There's plenty of reviews around for them if you search. I'd be interested in reading comparisons against the denon d1001 or rx700. I have some speculations as to how they would turn out but will not say since I haven't had experience with the others. There's also the recently released shure 440s that might be a contender around the prices your looking at too. There is not much info around on those yet, though. I believe I saw them for as low as $79 after emailing some websites. I'd love to do a comparison with those against my V6s.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 19
I'm going to preface this post by saying I haven't actually listened to the headphones I'm suggesting, I'm just going on my own research. Now that that's out of the way...

If you like the Sennheiser sound, perhaps look into the HD 228. It can be had for less than $80. From the reviews I've read, it seems to be one of the better Sennheiser closed cans. Probably the best low impedance, high sensitivity, portable option they have. I've been considering the HD 228 myself, and I noticed that no one else has mentioned it yet, so I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back