Looking for suggestions to power DT880 (600 ohms)
Jul 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zyrrac

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp to power the Beyer DT880 600ohms. I currently have have a Xonar Essence STX and from what I've heard, doesn't drive the 880s very well. I haven't bought the 880s yet so I can't test it for myself. So I'm looking for an amp that would be a considerable upgrade to the amplifier on the STX.

My budget is around $250. Thank you so much!

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 6
My Essence STX seems fine at driving my DT880 Premium 600-Ohm and DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphones.

You can try asking here for getting advice on an external headphone amplifier for the DT880.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-appreciation-discussion-thread

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Asgard 2 or project sunrise ii

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Welcome! And sorry about your wallet. It will evaporate.

Warning: TL;DR, but I promise I have decent stuff to say.

You chose a great set of headphones. However, they are really hard to drive (I don't mean volume wise, I mean the ability to control the DT's) - but once you do, they have amazing potential...

Anyway, With all respect for Essence supporters, I think the DT880's are going to be severely hindered (compared to their immense potential) with pretty much any internal sound card or Xonar-ish (consumer-ish stuff). They are very tough to "drive", I mean, control. 

I can, however, say that Jan Meier of Meier Audio  designs his stuff especially tending toward the DT880 (and also the K701). He does have some stuff in your price range 

And if you want fantastic bang for the buck, Audio-GD has stuff that is way underpriced because of the stigma of Chinese products (definitely not deserved in his case). He should have stuff in your price range (but note he hasn't really bothered to take his site out of the 1990's and the purchase procedure is a bit primitive.) I promise you, though, his stuff is an amazing deal. 

Schiit audio has a nice following here, too, and they have a really good return/trial policy. Everyone who owns one of their amps seems to love them. I can't say much about them them as their sound signature when I tried one wasn't my personal cup of tea (everyone has their own preferences, and you, if you're like most other people, will love them).

Now for a dream: I'm assuming you don't want Vacuum Tubes. But if you want to do those glowy Soviet-era things some day (and want to double your current price bracket, which is probably inevitable in the near future, now that you've joined this site), Woo Audio's WA2 is adored on this site for it's synergy with the DT880. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Most people who have tried both, find Garage1217 stuff a step above Audio GD for a lower price infact.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Most people who have tried both, find Garage1217 stuff a step above Audio GD for a lower price infact.

It's just me who said that, i've tried both Starlight and Sunrise and with a good tube the both g1217 amps were more punchy than my audio-gd C2 but with a more musical sound : less neutral and lean, more tubey and with more "humanity" on the voices, a kind of analogic feeling on mid-frequencies combined with smooth highs.

But it was with a great source : an Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP

And it was with good tubes, i noticed that g1217 performed better with 12V heater tubes (12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7, etc..), with some 6V tube there is less gain in the headphone output and the amp is more subject to external interferences.

But if you try a g1217 amp with a harsh-sounding dac don't expect miracles : crap in = crap out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back