Looking for that perfect pair
Dec 9, 2014 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Prophet293

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a pair of headphone that looks good, light/compact and sounds great.

The Bowers & Wilkins P5 was my go to headphone for almost 2 years until I recently purchased the Denon D7100. While the 7100 sounds absolutely amazing off the iPhone 6, it's just too dam bulky and heavy (for my liking), God I look like a teletubby when I'm rocking the 7100. I'm looking for something to replace my B&W P5 (which I've already sold). Here are a couple of headphone I've been eyeing:

Sony MDR Z7
Sony MDR 1A
Denon AHM-M400 (vapourware?)
B&W P7
Sennheiser Momentum over-ear

any suggestions?

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 13
V-Moda M100? It has good bass, but that's not all it offers. The mids are pretty good, the sound stage is surprisingly good, and the highs are bright but not too bright. They look great! and are easy to transport. I have been using mine for a little under a month and love them as portable headphones.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 13
I guess it comes down to personal preference. I don't like the looks of the new Denons (no offense). 

Another headphone I REALLY enjoyed and am constantly regretting selling is the Audio Technica ES10. The ESW9A sounds great too and are a bit cheaper, but the ES10 is very neutral, closed, portable, good looking, and comfortable to wear. They are great all-rounder headphones. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 13
What about the PS Series 2? B&W recently updated their entire headphone line (C5, P5, and P7), so you might want to consider getting them. I hear they sound better than the first generation too, which is making me consider trying them out for myself -- the first P5 and P7 sounded horrible.

I wouldn't get the P7 unless you could try them out yourself. Their clamping force was like a bear trap on my rather wide head -- rather, a bear trap with earpads made of stone. Also, their sound wasn't my cup of tea. I would suggest you get the Sennheiser Momentum, although the earpads don't really go all the way around your ears (the P7 doesn't, either, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back