Looking for the best and most powerful portable amp that is analog input capable BUT includes a Bass Boost switch
Nov 27, 2022 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zennheiser

Head-Fier
The header pretty much sums up my question. I also have have older portable players (various formats) that have analog only outputs. I've ordered the NX7 on approval, but in general, I prefer to listen at lower levels with a more traditional "loudness curve" bias for the lowest four or so (if you start counting at around 4Hz-I listen to a LOT of pipe organ and audiophile Classical Music) octaves. I'll be driving a variety of cans including the Fostex 900s, HD600s, HD650, and the Monolith 1060. TIA...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 10
I find them with and without the Bass Boost or I find them with more power and a DAC built in. Most of them are either too cheap to be what I'm looking for or way too expensive to be what I'm looking for. My present main portable amp is a K12 Montblanc FiiO. But it's getting a little long in the tooth. It has pretty low hours for its age, but it won't last forever.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 10
That looks terrific! A little expensive, but terrific. I see a couple of other amps that might work, but still a little outside of my original budget. I'm suffering from sticker shock x the number of years it's been since I bought that K12. I get that it probably seems like I'm pretty far out of the mainstream of the marketplace now. What I'm trying to do is (I posted this in another thread not too long ago) to buy "ONE portable amp to rule them all" in terms of the portable category. I have more desktop amps than I almost need at this point. I'm looking for the "knee in the cost/benefit J-curve". The most (good) audio quality I can get with the most power for the most reasonable (but not dirt cheap, I see those amps on ePrey) outlay. Thanks again for your post. I may spring for that smaller version that appears to be on sale if nothing else turns up.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, ifi is definitely leading the mainstream pack in terms of portable power and bass boost. I don't know if there are small companies that have something in this area or not.

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I like the Meier Audio Corda Qickstep very much. Fantastic buildquality, bargain price these days. No EQ unfortunable.
Also the running time is not that long with a recharchable 9V battery, but easy to change the battery though.
Regular battery works quite long though.
Better lifetime than anything else, superb volume control.

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 10
I ordered a iDSD Signature on approval and that's when I was confronted with this whole "it's digital input or fuggidaboutit" thing that apparently is taking over the industry. I'm not, nor have I ever been a fan of Bluetooth connectivity. I do understand that the 3.5mm outputs on phones being dropped, in...well...places they shouldn't be is a legitimate thing. But I actually LIKE copper and physical connectivity. I feel the same way about media versus streaming, but I understand that it's just my opinion. Streaming's okay for background, I guess and my definition for streaming is what I can stream without paying, so all the Hi-Rez pay for play stuff doesn't move the needle in my case.

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 10
I like the Meier Audio Corda Qickstep very much. Fantastic buildquality, bargain price these days. No EQ unfortunable.
Also the running time is not that long with a recharchable 9V battery, but easy to change the battery though.
Regular battery works quite long though.
Better lifetime than anything else, superb volume control.

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for this. I'd forgotten ALL ABOUT Meier Audio! I've got to go check them out PRONTO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back