Looking Into Purchasing Alclair Dual XB, Reference, or Versa and Have Questions
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Wrock2000

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at custom IEMs from Alclair and I can't decide which one would be best for me. I really don't want to spend more than $300 but the most I would go is $400 if there was enough of a difference. One huge thing for me is getting really good sound isolation since I'll be using these in loud environments. I’m in a bit of unique situation I think. I’m a sound engineer who does front of house mixing and I’m a videographer so I’d be using my IEMs for monitoring audio while filming as well as while editing. For that application I would want a reference monitor with a flat EQ which would be the Alclair reference triple driver. However, I also play drums although not nearly as much as I run sound and do prefer more bass for general music listening. I emailed with a guy from Alclair and he suggested I go with the Dual XB because the Reference rolls off the low end pretty quick which would not be good for drumming. That also makes me wonder though if I'm setting an EQ on drums or bass would this quick low end roll off on the Reference mean that I could not accurately EQ those instruments or does this just mean that those frequencies are not accentuated. My main concern with getting the Dual XB is that while they'll sound great to my ears, they won't be accurate which is a problem when I'm running sound. I also wonder if the Reference IEMs would cause me to add/not cut enough low end since I generally like having a bit more low end so that I can really feel the music. My thought with getting the Reference is that they would be good for mixing/editing videos and then when I'm playing drums or listening to music, I could just throw on some EQ and get more low end, although I wonder with that quick low end roll off if they even have the capability to accurately reproduce the low end. I like the Dual XB, but I'm just concerned about using them for mixing/shooting video/editing.

My other thought was what about the Alclair Versa? They seem to have a much flatter EQ than the Dual XB and they're $50 less. Does anyone know how these would compare to the Reference triple drivers? I saw a Reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._got_ciems_before_thinking_of_getting_a_pair/) where someone was deciding between the Dual XB and the Versa, and someone from Alclair said that the Versas had a smoothness that the Dual XB doesn't have. He also said that the Dual XB is meant to make an instrument punch through a loud stage. Now I'm wondering if the Versa would be better for me.

What do you guys think? I'm having a hard time deciding between the Alclair Versa, Dual XB, and Reference. I don't want to pay more than $300 if I don't have too, but if the Reference triple driver would be enough of a difference, I'd be willing to consider it.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back