Looking to buy a new pair of IEMs with one small hiccup
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hagerboy

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade from my previous IEMs, the campfire IO (yikes).

My closest store carries 4 brands I'm interested in.

The Final Audio e5000/f7200/B2/B3
The AAW A3H
The FiiO FH5/FH7/FA9
The Empire Ears Bravado

I have heard good things about all of these which makes it all that much more difficult to choose one since I'm not too experienced in the differences in sounds. However, I have seen many, many recommendations for the Moondrop blessing 2s. Now, this store doesn't sell them, but I can buy them online with the caveat of a 20% restock fee if I return them.

I would like to know the opinion of you guys on the above IEMs and to hear if it's worth taking the risk on buying the blessing 2s without being able to try it, whereas I can (and will) be able to demo the list above.

They'll be for mobile listening, mostly used for all kinds of music save for maybe stuff like jazz, and also just for general video watching (movies, TV, YouTube, etc...)

Would love to hear your two cents!

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 5
I own the Blessing 2, and consider it very good value and very good in SQ overall.
I also tested the Final Audio e-series but that's almost 3 years back.

A general consideration is whether BA IEMs or DD, or a hybrid suits you best.
I find DD IEMs mostly smoother sounding (as long as they don't have nasty resonances) and in the price range up to $200 I preferred them. BA IEMs generally have more speed and resolution but can sound dry, thin and unnaturally fast (especially in decay). In bass frequencies they also don't move much air, so they tend to have less "rumble" even when they have good extension.

The Blessing 2 is a very good IEM at it's price point if you look for a very good, neutral tuning without any serious issues, good detail and resolution. It still has some of the BA limitations, but not to a point where I'd consider it a problem. The bass DD is a bit soft with limited speed, definition and texture, but overall the B2 is very good at the price point. Nevertheless I'd rather spend a bit more to get the Dusk version - since I tried some EQ that simulates the Dusk tuning and found it a bit cleaner, slightly warmer and punchier.
My Sony IER-M9 shows the limitations of the B2. The M9 has none of the dryness, it has a much finer resolution and detail yet is still smoother, striking the perfect balance between speed and natural decay IMO. IT laso has much better imaging, but the M9 is usually 3x the price of the B2. Just to point out the limitations of the B2.

Reasons for not getting the B2 (Dusk):
- finding the right tip can be difficult and the big nozzle can be a comfort issue (Spinfit tips work for me, but still not super comfortable)
- if you like a smooth, fluid sound with focus on emotional qualities rather than raw detail and neutrality, I think DD IEMs can do that better (I prefer my modded JVC FD02 for that)
- if you prefer a different tuning, like V-shape or bass focused

Other than that I think the B2 lives up to its reputation/hype.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Can you demo the Tanchjim Oxygen anywhere local?

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade from my previous IEMs, the campfire IO (yikes).

My closest store carries 4 brands I'm interested in.

The Final Audio e5000/f7200/B2/B3
The AAW A3H
The FiiO FH5/FH7/FA9
The Empire Ears Bravado

I have heard good things about all of these which makes it all that much more difficult to choose one since I'm not too experienced in the differences in sounds. However, I have seen many, many recommendations for the Moondrop blessing 2s. Now, this store doesn't sell them, but I can buy them online with the caveat of a 20% restock fee if I return them.

I would like to know the opinion of you guys on the above IEMs and to hear if it's worth taking the risk on buying the blessing 2s without being able to try it, whereas I can (and will) be able to demo the list above.

They'll be for mobile listening, mostly used for all kinds of music save for maybe stuff like jazz, and also just for general video watching (movies, TV, YouTube, etc...)

Would love to hear your two cents!
On Amazon, search KZ ZSX 12. For $70 Canadian, you get a nice set of ChiFi iems with 5 balanced armature drivers and 1 dynamic driver. Very nice v shaped sound, bass is present but not overwhelming in any way, the highs can be a bit harsh with the higher volumes, but EQ or treble adjustment does help this. They are quite large earbuds, not the most comfortable, and the cord is a pain, but overall for 70 bucks these bad boys perform well over there price range into the 200 to 300 dollar name brand IEM range. They handled DJ Laz and Bass Mekanik tracks which are bass comp tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back