Looking to buy headphones, around 300.
Jan 21, 2015 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spykez

100+ Head-Fier
I probably posted before, I don't know, my head is spinning from all of these different headphones I'm finding.

Problem: I don't know anyone in Madison who sells decent headphones that aren't Bose or Beats so I have to rely on you fantastic people.

"around 300" means I can go a little higher if it's worth it.

What I've come up with the following. I don't know what people consider "bright" other than the only time I see people using the term is in a negative way but I've seen the Shure's called that. I've read that the HiFiMan's tend to be a bit flat and boring for stuff like Jazz where the mids don't really stand out much at all but their bass response is sick. I love Sennheiser, they're the only headphones I've owned (came from the 280 Pro) but I feel like I may be missing out.

Shure SRH1840
Sennheiser HD 600
HiFiMan HE-400

I currently had the HD 598 headphones that I really love them but their bass is a bitto slow when I switch to metal.

I listen to almost everything. Mostly power metal and jazz and stuff like Enya..whatever you consider that lol. Most all my music if FLAC, and a few bands are in 320 mp3.

I alternate pretty frequently. The soundstage on the 598 is great, the mids and highs are great. I'm not sensitive to treble. I've got a Schiit Modi for a DAC and a Schiit Asgard for a headphone amp.

If I can find something as comfortable as the HD 598 than great, I tend to forget I'm even wearing anything with those.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm thinking I may just got a bit higher because there seems to be a sweet spot around 600 bucks for headphones contending for someone to call them their master.

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 6
hmmm ATH-R70x for 525, I'll keep an eye on those.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I ended up buying into those Massdrop AKG K7XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back