Looking to enhance portable music quality.
Jan 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mkoll

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'd like to enhance the quality of my music when I'm using my portable devices: laptop, smartphone, and/or MP3 player. I'll be using either the Brainwavz S5 or Sennheiser HD-280 Pro and I listen almost exclusively to EDM (trance, house, techno, etc.).

I'm guessing the product I'm looking for is a "headphone amplifier," correct? I'll be using it while studying and hopefully while working out so ideally it would be pocket sized. Is something like this Fiio E6 a good choice? Does anyone have any other recommendations? Or am I way off the mark and need something else?

Please forgive my noobness.
tongue.gif
Thank you.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 10
The E6 is cheap, so there's little to lose if you want to try it. The HD280 Pro will likely benefit more than the S5 but you'll get the bass boost option on the E6 too. Alternatively the E07K will act as a DAC and amp for laptop (and maybe smartphone) - and can be used as amp only like the E6. It costs a bit more though.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 10
  The E6 is cheap, so there's little to lose if you want to try it. The HD280 Pro will likely benefit more than the S5 but you'll get the bass boost option on the E6 too. Alternatively the E07K will act as a DAC and amp for laptop (and maybe smartphone) - and can be used as amp only like the E6. It costs a bit more though.

Thanks! Can you recommend an amp that the S5 would get good benefit from?

I think I understand why the E07K would work as a DAC and amp with a laptop because it can be plugged in via USB. But how would it work with a smartphone? DACs won't work plugged into the 1/8" input because the smartphone is already using its own DAC to output the music through there, right?

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 10
I believe that the S5 has usb audio out capability that allows it to connect to many DAC/amps (verify that the E07K and it will work together).

E11K is nice if you just want an amp :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Or maybe just dig out more cash for the new FiiO X3K?
Since you're looking for enhancement of your laptop as well, I'm thinking, why just not scratch out the smartphone and MP3 player and buy a new portable music player that can be used as USB DAC as well?

It's kinda the same situation with me, I have the X3, paired it with Cayin C5 and bring it along whenever I'm outside.
At the library, I use my laptop so I make a good use of the USB DAC feature of the X3 to achieve the exact audio quality that I've been having.
As for now the only music player that has DAC feature I could think of is just FiiO X3 and X5.
The X3 retails for $199 --- If it's within your budget, take it. Additional amp isn't necessary yet.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 10
I believe that the S5 has usb audio out capability that allows it to connect to many DAC/amps (verify that the E07K and it will work together).

E11K is nice if you just want an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5? I have a Moto G for a smartphone. My earphones are Brainwavz S5.
smile.gif

Or maybe just dig out more cash for the new FiiO X3K?
Since you're looking for enhancement of your laptop as well, I'm thinking, why just not scratch out the smartphone and MP3 player and buy a new portable music player that can be used as USB DAC as well?

It's kinda the same situation with me, I have the X3, paired it with Cayin C5 and bring it along whenever I'm outside.
At the library, I use my laptop so I make a good use of the USB DAC feature of the X3 to achieve the exact audio quality that I've been having.
As for now the only music player that has DAC feature I could think of is just FiiO X3 and X5.
The X3 retails for $199 --- If it's within your budget, take it. Additional amp isn't necessary yet.

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't think I listen to enough lossless music to justify the X3, but if I ever get to the point where I do, I will be sure to check that and similar products out. If only it could stream DI.fm...
tongue.gif

Try using Tidal if you're looking for Hi quality audio files to stream. Waaaaay better than mp3s

Thanks for letting me know about that. I checked it out but they don't have the selection I'm looking for. I mostly listen to DI.FM premium for internet radio because of their great selection. I also download and listen to DJ mixes.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Go for the e11k or e11 - $60 to hook right up to your smartphone for instant and cheap sound upgrade like mine, bass boost also for when the song demands. You can also check out the http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared thread for amps for your musical tastes under $100.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 10
It sounds like the E07K is what I'm looking for. It can function as a USB DAC and amp for my laptop and possibly my smartphone and tablet. And it can function as an amplifier alone for all of those devices, regardless.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back