Looking to improve my portable car audio setup
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JSchwage

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong section. Wasn't sure where to put this. I want to give you some background on what I'm trying to accomplish. First of all, I currently do not own an amp but I'm seriously considering getting either a FiiO E07K or an E12. Either way I'll be playing off my iPhone 4S through a line out connector to an amp, through the aux port in my Mustang to my factory head unit to my Pioneer 3-way speakers.

Before you tell me I need an aftermarket head unit, I know I desperately need one, unfortunately I have a 2012 year Mustang which has a head unit that's integrated into the dash which would require that I buy a $200-$500 dash kit adapter before I can even put an aftermarket head unit in my car. That's a bit above my budget at the moment.

Anyway, on to my main question! Since I'm dealing with factory equipment in my car, would there be any benefit to me using an amp in this setup? Will the cleaner audio have any improvement in the overall sound in my setup or is the factory head unit going to completely destroy anything I put through it? I know for a fact that my head unit will lower the bass EQ setting when you turn the volume up higher. I'm just wondering if amping the signal before it gets to my head unit will improve the sound and affect my crappy factory head unit has on everything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 9
No, it would probably make the SQ worse if anything. You want to use as clean a signal as you can going in to your 'aux in'. The Iphone4 does't have a true pre amp line out does it?  which effectively means you would be dirtying the signal 3 times in total by going through 3 different amp sections.. if thats right?.
I use an LOD (Line out adaptor) which plugs in to the bottom of my Sony X-series (which I believe bypasses the amp section) to connect to my home 5.1 audio system... it sounds far better connected that way than through the 3.5mm headphone out socket.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
No, it would probably make the SQ worse if anything. You want to use as clean a signal as you can going in to your 'aux in'. The Iphone4 does't have a true pre amp line out does it?  which effectively means you would be dirtying the signal 3 times in total by going through 3 different amp sections.. if thats right?.
I use an LOD (Line out adaptor) which plugs in to the bottom of my Sony X-series (which I believe bypasses the amp section) to connect to my home 5.1 audio system... it sounds far better connected that way than through the 3.5mm headphone out socket.

Ohh, right! I don't know why I didn't think about that. What I need is just a line out adapter for my iPhone and plug that directly into the aux port and let the head unit do all the work.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Ohh, right! I don't know why I didn't think about that. What I need is just a line out adapter for my iPhone and plug that directly into the aux port and let the head unit do all the work.

Yep,  if the Iphone LOD is a true line level line out then that's the best option.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 9
On the other hand... if your car stereo itself has pre-amp line outs you could connect them to an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier providing more power which should allow the speakers to perform better (Within speaker wattage limits)

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
On the other hand... if your car stereo itself has pre-amp line outs you could connect them to an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier providing more power which should allow the speakers to perform better (Within speaker wattage limits)

I'll have to ask around in my Mustang club and see if there's any pre-amp line outs in the back of the factory unit. Thank you very much for the help!

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I'll have to ask around in my Mustang club and see if there's any pre-amp line outs in the back of the factory unit. Thank you very much for the help!

You're welcome.

Although not ideal, you can actually get aftermarket amplifiers which will accept speaker level inputs which you could use if the standard stereo doesnt have the desired RCA pre-amp outs (It most likely wont btw)... and you can also get line out convertors such as.. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pacsoem4-four-channel-converter.html which will (or should) clean up a speaker level output.

See- http://www.hiphop-universe.com/underground/systems-whips/4219-runing-aftermarket-amp-off-factory-head-unit.html

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah. I have looked into getting a sound processor which would take the high-level output from my factory stereo and turn it into a low-level output so it can be passed on through an amp. Problem is it's gonna be expensive to do all that. I'll just deal with the "okay" sound in my car in favor for spending that money on better headphones or a desktop DAC/amp.
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Have a look at http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/ Although it is a UK site there are people from all over on there. A very friendly and knowledgable car audio forum. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back