Looking to replace my Sony's MDR V500/V700 with something new.
Jun 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hank1972

New Head-Fier
Hey I am a professional DJ/Music Producer and I have been using those Sony's for decades for both DJing and Production. Even tho they been discontinued I still been have luck finding them on Ebay at a decent price. But I got a few deadlines and a gig this week end and do not have time to wait for Ebay. So I was wondering what headphones have a sound similar to those Sony's at a similar price or higher if need be. I been buying and returning headphones all day trying to find the right sound. I can already tell you that with the salemans "help" I did not care for the American Audio HP 500 (too Tinny) and the Pioneer HDJ 500(Too Muddy).

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Try the Koss Pro DJ-100s. The bass isn't really heavy, but the sound is reasonably clear.
If you're a DJ, though, you might be looking for bass cues. In that case, you might find the Pro DJ-100s too quiet for you on the bottom end.
I hate to say it, but there's always Beats Mixr's. They are by no means my sort of sound, but they're easy to find and they have the kind of bass response that some
DJs like.
Still, I like the Koss phones.
(Please don't tell anybody that I recommended Mixr's to you.) :wink:

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I won't tell... While I am sure that Beats (yuck), will give me the low end for DJing I am wondering if it could handle production. I know that the Sony's I mentioned are by no where near the best out there (or that was out there), but I got used to their sound profile.  I think I am screwed for a few weeks till I find order and get shipped another pair of Sony's unless there are more headphones out there I should try out.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 5
You haven't tried the newer V55?

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 5
I won't tell... While I am sure that Beats (yuck), will give me the low end for DJing I am wondering if it could handle production. I know that the Sony's I mentioned are by no where near the best out there (or that was out there), but I got used to their sound profile.  I think I am screwed for a few weeks till I find order and get shipped another pair of Sony's unless there are more headphones out there I should try out.

Mixr's wouldn't work for production. Oddly, I still find them the best sound profile of all the Beats headphones I've tried. More balanced, somehow. I don't like Beats in general, though so that's not saying much.
Have you checked out KRK 8400s? I don't know how much they cost now, but I really liked them when I heard them. They were around $150 if I recall. The price may have dropped. They would be good for production. At least, I think so. But there are people here much more knowledgeable than me.
I haven't tried the V55s that the other poster mentioned.
Finally, look on Craigslist in your area for Koss HV/1A headphones. They are vintage headphones that sound terrific. You can probably score some for $40 or less, if anybody is selling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back