Looking to upgrade my HD555's
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

horkrat

New Head-Fier
I got my HD555's about a 5 months ago to replace the ATH M-50's I thought were stolen. (Turns out they weren't, and recently turned up. I only use them when I really need bass, otherwise the HD555 is easily better.) 

Anyway, my ears have gotten spoiled and I want better headphones. I love the sound stage, but sometimes I have to strain to appreciate its subtlety. 

While I find it hard to believe that I'll find headphones that recreate sound with more fidelity, I'd be foolish to think I've really attained the best headphones available at $100. So, if I shell out extra dough--say $300--what can I expect? What products become available? I want something that has all the benefits of the 555's--great sound stage, high-fidelity, etc--but with improvements in other areas. Like the bass for example.

My headphone progression has been Apple earbuds to Skullcandy headphones to M50's to HD555's--each step was awesome progress. Tell me what my next step should be!

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 12
The problem I had with any Sennheiser 5XX headphone is that I've felt I had to strain to hear details like you've described. I think the Ad900 are fantastic headphones under $300. They have excellent clarity, are easy to drive, and are very comfortable. They are rather balanced headphones, though somewhat light on the bass. I personally love them and highly recommend them for clarity/balance.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for your input. What I've read of the AD900 looks great.

I don't own a headphone amplifier--should I invest in one of those before buying a new set of headphones? Preferably one that would work with HD555 and the AD900, were I to upgrade.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I do have a soundcard. I don't know if that functions as a headphone amp?

What kind of soundcard?
Anyways the AD900 I believe are easy to drive out of a headphone output

I have the ad700s, works perfectly fine out of my laptop headphone jack
Great for gaming

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 12

the x-fi titanium fatality, or something like that. i always feel silly writing out the name of it.

i have z5500's that go into it with an optical cable, and i plug my headphones into the z5500 console. is that a good procedure?

Quote:
What kind of soundcard?
Anyways the AD900 I believe are easy to drive out of a headphone output

I have the ad700s, works perfectly fine out of my laptop headphone jack
Great for gaming

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
the x-fi titanium fatality, or something like that. i always feel silly writing out the name of it.

i have z5500's that go into it with an optical cable, and i plug my headphones into the z5500 console. is that a good procedure?

Your soundcard should and will be able to power those headphones sufficient if not, more.

And yes you may plug your headphones into your z5500, but the amp within the z5500 for headphones arent that good

You would be better off connecting your headphones to your soundcard

PC>Soundcard>Headphones

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Your soundcard should and will be able to power those headphones sufficient if not, more.

And yes you may plug your headphones into your z5500, but the amp within the z5500 for headphones arent that good

You would be better off connecting your headphones to your soundcard

PC>Soundcard>Headphones

good call, thanks. i did that and even though i can't exactly determine the improvement, i know there is because I'm listening to all my favorite songs again like they're new.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 12
I think most people like me would say GET a USED ONE, sell it if you don't like and you won't loss much turn around money. If you dig the Sennheiser, the 558/598 really worth checking out. However there were a sale thread here for a HD595 with upgrade silver cable for like $80? Although 595 in my experience is not much better than 555 but has a more neutral sound compare to the 555 that is more colored. If you are looking for a real upgrade I would suggest the 598. Better mids and way bigger sound stage just to name a few.  If you wanna try something difference the AD900 is a wonderful choice. There was also someone selling the ATH-ESW10jpn or something like that here, check em out.  

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
AD900s... and are very comfortable.

Be very careful here.  The AD700s are very comfortable.  The AD900s suffer from a very stupid design where the drivers are flat instead of angled while using the same earpads as the AD700s.  The result is that your ears will almost certainly touch the driver grilles on the AD900s and it will cause discomfort, perhaps even enough to make them unusable (as it did for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back