Lossless Streaming Service you use (Poll)

Which Lossless Streaming Service (services) do you use?

• Qobuz

Votes: 102 41.0%
  • TIDAL HiFi

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Amazon Music HD

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Deezer HiFi

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Apple Music

Votes: 79 31.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 123
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 123
This. WASAPI exclusive mode makes such a huge difference.
Try ASIO if your DAC has driver for it, it should bypass Windows stack altogether, I had some very rare milliseconds like hiccups with WASAPI Exclusive, switched to ASIO and it all went away (512 samples buffer), absolutely smooth even with sensitive (fine) clock settings on DAC. ASIO is also louder for whatever reason.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 123
Indeed. I guess, in our household, the real big limitation is a need for compatibilty with Alexa, as it is what the kids are using. Neither Tidal nor Qobuz are supporting Alexa, so it‘s a k.o. for them…
Tidal works with Alexa but Qobuz doesn’t. You might just need to install Tidal skill first.

Attachments

• 14AAA84B-9142-4890-A4FA-16E5C2C4B39F.jpeg
    14AAA84B-9142-4890-A4FA-16E5C2C4B39F.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 0
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 123
Tidal works with Alexa but Qobuz doesn’t. You might just need to install Tidal skill first.
Maybe in the US it does. Unfortunately not in Germany. There is neither a Tidal skill, nor is it possible to select Tidal as a music service in Alexa settings. Apple, Spotify and Deezer are the only available services. Here is a snapshot of what you can choose from.

Attachments

• 6CB0A590-306C-49F8-AF2F-4DD1A66C9E7F.png
    6CB0A590-306C-49F8-AF2F-4DD1A66C9E7F.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #35 of 123
Maybe in the US it does. Unfortunately not in Germany. There is neither a Tidal skill, nor is it possible to select Tidal as a music service in Alexa settings. Apple, Spotify and Deezer are the only available services. Here is a snapshot of what you can choose from.
There is a add a new service link in Music but Tidal is not there. But did you search skills?

Attachments

• 4354F64E-FD8C-4CBD-BF59-E1AFCE6C45F5.jpeg
    4354F64E-FD8C-4CBD-BF59-E1AFCE6C45F5.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #36 of 123
There is a add a new service link in Music but Tidal is not there. But did you search skills?
Of course. Here is a snapshot of the search, if you don‘t believe me. As you see, searching for tidal does not retrieve anything useful. As I said, it‘s not available in Germany…

Attachments

• 24DD2574-9F64-4DF4-94B5-9A56356380A8.png
    24DD2574-9F64-4DF4-94B5-9A56356380A8.png
    339.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #37 of 123
Of course. Here is a snapshot of the search, if you don‘t believe me. As you see, searching for tidal does not retrieve anything useful. As I said, it‘s not available in Germany…

Sorry, just trying to help. I believe you. I see it’s only available in English, so that’s probably why. The others streaming skills show available in English and 5 other languages.

I only have it linked for my son and constantly hear him asking over and over to play certain songs. Not sure if just Alexa in general or the skill stinks in figuring out. They also don’t allow you to just play from a playlist. I might try to think of a better solution. I’m not a big fan of Tidal in general. Thought it would hold me off while I continue to wait for(ever) Spotify hifi.

I was using Qobuz before, great sound quality but no Alexa skill and not a fan of their app. I at least need albums to show year, be in chronological order, broken out be album, ep, compilations. Live album breakout if fine but not a must. Qobuz does none of this and even mixes in other artists. Apple, Spotify, Tidal, and Deezer do this well. Apple goes further with label search and album reviews or extra info. Spotify also have label search as well. I’d be open to Apple once they add lossless over AirPlay 2.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #38 of 123
No problem at all, well, probably that might be related to language settings indeed. But our Alexa speaks German, which means bad luck with Tidal, at least at the moment.

Apple works for us as well as Amazon itself with Alexa. Fortunately kids only talk to Alexa when they want their music, never cast the music to an Echo from e.g. a mobile phone. For some reasons, Apple Music app on a phone cannot cast from a phone to an Echo, it only works directly on an Echo with an Alexa skill.

If I want to cast music to one of our network speakers, it‘s not a problem with Airplay2. Being not lossless is not what I see as a problem, as those network speakers are mainly used for background music, not for analytical listening, and I doubt any difference would be audible with them even if I‘d try to be looking for it.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #39 of 123
No problem at all, well, probably that might be related to language settings indeed. But our Alexa speaks German, which means bad luck with Tidal, at least at the moment.

Apple works for us as well as Amazon itself with Alexa. Fortunately kids only talk to Alexa when they want their music, never cast the music to an Echo from e.g. a mobile phone. For some reasons, Apple Music app on a phone cannot cast from a phone to an Echo, it only works directly on an Echo with an Alexa skill.

If I want to cast music to one of our network speakers, it‘s not a problem with Airplay2. Being not lossless is not what I see as a problem, as those network speakers are mainly used for background music, not for analytical listening, and I doubt any difference would be audible with them even if I‘d try to be looking for it.

If I remember correctly, you can to verbally say you wanted to connect your phone to Alexa and then you could stream whatever apps on your phone. I personally find voice command frustrating. I’d rather just control it from the app. Spotify does allow you to cast to Alex on the account you have linked. It will only work for that account and not show up as a Spotify Connect option if have more than one account on family plan.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #40 of 123
Please cast a vote for lossless streaming service of your choice.
Not everything is available everywhere. For instance Qobuz is not available here.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #41 of 123
If I remember correctly, you can to verbally say you wanted to connect your phone to Alexa and then you could stream whatever apps on your phone. I personally find voice command frustrating. I’d rather just control it from the app. Spotify does allow you to cast to Alex on the account you have linked. It will only work for that account and not show up as a Spotify Connect option if have more than one account on family plan.
That only works for BT, not for WiFi. But it‘s really not a deal breaker for us, since only kids are using the Echos for music, it‘s easier for them this way, and they don’t care about SQ. Well, new generation… I rarely use Alexa for music, prefer to cast to our network speakers anyway, and as you I much prefer using a phone or an iPad for that. Apple Music indeed works best for us at the moment, delivering both great SQ on iOS devices, where it matters, and good compatibility with the rest of our gadgets…

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 123
That only works for BT, not for WiFi. But it‘s really not a deal breaker for us, since only kids are using the Echos for music, it‘s easier for them this way, and they don’t care about SQ. Well, new generation… I rarely use Alexa for music, prefer to cast to our network speakers anyway, and as you I much prefer using a phone or an iPad for that. Apple Music indeed works best for us at the moment, delivering both great SQ on iOS devices, where it matters, and good compatibility with the rest of our gadgets…

I probably be on Apple Music too if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s still lossy when streaming over AirPlay 2. Doesn’t make since to do a workaround wired setup. I have another streamer in bedroom that only has AirPlay 1 and that’s actually lossless up to 44.1/16. I have all Apple products and find the app pretty slick.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #43 of 123
I probably be on Apple Music too if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s still lossy when streaming over AirPlay 2. Doesn’t make since to do a workaround wired setup. I have another streamer in bedroom that only has AirPlay 1 and that’s actually lossless up to 44.1/16. I have all Apple products and find the app pretty slick.
You can use an apple tv 4k in your wired setup. Use an HDMI audio extractor to get digital audio, so that you won‘t need to run it with a tv all the time or even connect it to tv, use a remote app on an iPad to control, and you‘ll get up to 48/24 lossless, if it‘s important for you. It‘s still a workaround, but one that is not too cumbersome…

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #44 of 123
You can use an apple tv 4k in your wired setup. Use an HDMI audio extractor to get digital audio, so that you won‘t need to run it with a tv all the time or even connect it to tv, use a remote app on an iPad to control, and you‘ll get up to 48/24 lossless, if it‘s important for you. It‘s still a workaround, but one that is not too cumbersome…

I have a Naim HE with built in streamer. I also use it wirelessly. Hooking up wired would be a real setback. Think I would lose album art and the remote’s ability to control the stream. I’d rather just wait it out while Apple works out the technical issues or Spotify delivers lossless. In the meantime I’m using Tidal with roon.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #45 of 123
I was using Qobuz before, great sound quality but no Alexa skill and not a fan of their app. I at least need albums to show year, be in chronological order
You can sort by either "relevance" or "release date"
1642364463149.png

I also love that they have full artist bio, comprehensive album description, and even digital booklet (not available on all albums though).
1642364725739.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back