Lost bass on right side - Sennheiser HD595
Feb 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Marvin123

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I own the Sennheiser HD595 for around 4-5 years now. I recently noticed something wrong with the sound. I can clearly hear stereo, but the left side sounded more full and louder.
I checked it with a tone generator, and it became clear all bass was gone from the right side. A 100hz tone on the left is very strong, on the right absolutely nothing.
The higher the frequency on the right side, the louder it gets, the mid-highs are normal, the same as on the left side.
I did noticed that with a very loud bass scene's in movies, sometimes I hear a short loud low crackling sound from the right side coming trough.
I also tested it with multiple devices, all with the same lack of bass on the right side.
I was thinking of maybe a filter component broken in the headphone, but I only see two contacts, no components there.
I also checked the cable with a multi meter. The resistance is around 1 to 1.5 ohm. Not sure if this is saying the cable is alright or not.
Maybe there is a break in the cable and only hanging on a verry thin wire that can not transfer low frequencies? Is that posible?
Is 1 to 1.5 ohm normal? A good custom headphone cable has less resistance? 1 ohm sounds like allot. A thick copper cable with less resistance should be better? Or is there an ideal core thinkness?

I do not want to throw away my 595, I like it allot. But I'am also thinking of upgrading to a HD600 or HD650.
But still want to safe my 595.
I can order a new cable for around $ 20,- but not sure it that is the problem, maybe the driver problem?

I also have read reviews of the 600 and 650.
To me it looks like the 600 is the better choice. A more neutral sound. The 650 is warmer. Details in sound are about the same.
Is this also the general opinion over here, or am I forgetting something?

Thanks for any help!

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 2
sorry for you, I can't help for the bass issue but may be it's time to get some new cans

My 2c
I sold my hd595 but really loved the sound
I bought a hd 650 and preferred the hd 595 (more in your face type of sound)

The he 400 is now cheaper than before and to me is more a hd 595 upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back