Lost between sennheiser momentums and Westone 4;s help?
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sylaw

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guy... ill make this really short and accurate... i have a pair of westone 4's and i recently burrowed a pair of new sennheiser momentum's from one of my best friends... so yesterday i did a side by side comparison although that seems like comparing apples and oranges ( Full size and BA'S) ... needless to say that i got star struck once when i powered the momentum's up... while i was comparing them my initial thoughts were Momentum's are not natural... since i found a small treble spike probably around 7-8KHz.... least a 5Db emphasis and a small emphasis again on lows and mids... and i love how the momentum's deliver the mid range... listening to James Blake's new album i indeed felt it was way more emotional sounding than i ever felt.... so the horror happened right after when i switched in to my westone 4s... and i was like What F*... same song but, the clarity seems very low ( compaired to the momentum's) and seems to have a pretty muddied low frequency response... even the mid range seems pretty clogged and not so airy... first i thought this was due to the silicon tips that i was using... then i switched back to shure black olives... okay ! now it seems mids and highs seems a bit relieved(still i find its not clear as senns).. yet bass seems lacking the definition of momentum's... so all and all what i needed to know is that am i having a defective pair of westone 4's ( again) or does the momentum's are a clear upgrade over the westone 4's???   or rather am i got used to momentum's clarity this quickly?

Dropping down a impression would be highly appreciated guys...

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 16
What's the source hardware and did you AMP?  I think the W4 is pretty neutral sounding to the point that some might say it is weak on the low end, but when I use mine with my AMP it sounded more lively.  No idea about the Momentum but I sure to hear a lot of good things about it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
What's the source hardware and did you AMP?  I think the W4 is pretty neutral sounding to the point that some might say it is weak on the low end, but when I use mine with my AMP it sounded more lively.  No idea about the Momentum but I sure to hear a lot of good things about it.

I didn't use any amping to test em...( fed a unamped ipod classic 160GB) and honestly I wasn't saying that low end on westone 4 are less... and believe me im not a bass head... but what I intended to tell is that the definition seems to be pretty nice on momentums rather than pretty upright muddy on my wesstone 4...

ai8.... do u guys feel westone 4 is more detailed than the momentums and amperiors? im kinda confused where that I cant  believe my own ears.. :)a

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 16
Didn't find the Momentums' clarity to be their strong suit. And since I always have the W4 on me, the few demos I've with the Senns were always followed with a quick mind-purging with the W4s (not to say the Momentums sound bad, far from it). Never missed out on much. In fact the disparity in signature and performance shouldn't really reflect that kind of response. 

It might be the sudden change in paradigm from IEM to a full-sized that had happened so abruptly. Messes with my head as well. Try to get some longer borrowing sessions from your friend, see how that works out, 

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Didn't find the Momentums' clarity to be their strong suit. And since I always have the W4 on me, the few demos I've with the Senns were always followed with a quick mind-purging with the W4s (not to say the Momentums sound bad, far from it). Never missed out on much. In fact the disparity in signature and performance shouldn't really reflect that kind of response. 

It might be the sudden change in paradigm from IEM to a full-sized that had happened so abruptly. Messes with my head as well. Try to get some longer borrowing sessions from your friend, see how that works out, 

thanks for the impression TwinQ's ... from what I can get ur point is either as u told my mindset seems kinda messed due to the sudden change of form factors.( I believe last time I heard a full size can was 8-9 months before a 650 wich I had) , or elz I might be having a faulty W4.. and yeah I believe I will be able to keep the momentums for another 2+ weeks...  at the same time how does the Amperiors stack with W4s.. I might be interest in that section as well................ :3

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
thanks for the impression TwinQ's ... from what I can get ur point is either as u told my mindset seems kinda messed due to the sudden change of form factors.( I believe last time I heard a full size can was 8-9 months before a 650 wich I had) , or elz I might be having a faulty W4.. and yeah I believe I will be able to keep the momentums for another 2+ weeks...  at the same time how does the Amperiors stack with W4s.. I might be interest in that section as well................ :3

Do a few noise sweep on the W4s - any channel imbalance, any weird distortion that you haven't noticed before, any deviation from the original FR (you can consult a FR graph or something). Shell crackle? Does the sound short out while twisting or touching the cable at specific points? Do you heard the drivers loose inside the shells? :p

If not, and the W4s don't deviate much from how they sounded originally, might want to rule out a defect (unless you have terrible luck). Keep on listening and report back, maybe some magic will occur throughout the day and everything will work out?

Have only heard/borrowed the HD-25 so no comments on the Amperiors. If what people say about the differences (that there is little) is true, can say though that they are much more treble-heavy, crisp and aggressive. Would have almost imagined your impressions with the W4 and the Momentums to have been about the HD-25 if I didn't see the title.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Do a few noise sweep on the W4s - any channel imbalance, any weird distortion that you haven't noticed before, any deviation from the original FR (you can consult a FR graph or something). Shell crackle? Does the sound short out while twisting or touching the cable at specific points? Do you heard the drivers loose inside the shells? :p

If not, and the W4s don't deviate much from how they sounded originally, might want to rule out a defect (unless you have terrible luck). Keep on listening and report back, maybe some magic will occur throughout the day and everything will work out?

Have only heard/borrowed the HD-25 so no comments on the Amperiors. If what people say about the differences (that there is little) is true, can say though that they are much more treble-heavy, crisp and aggressive. Would have almost imagined your impressions with the W4 and the Momentums to have been about the HD-25 if I didn't see the title.

I don't knw man... I did a load of sweeps and even left right channel sweeps ... seems to be both of em are equally loud yet very Blane sounding and symbols and guitars sound less crispy compared to momentums.... I don't knw what the F^^ is going on... ( may be momentum's have a clear emphasis over upper and mid frequency's  i feels this way?)

but wait... iam using monster 5.5mm Large triple flanges... i have a pretty big man hole here on right side... :p do u believe this may be the issue? since from what i knw that a tight seal will take all the highs and air of a tone....?

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

hey Twinq's if u don't mind could u send me a link to one of ur reference tracks... so i could tell u what i hear... comparatively i can then get a idea how ur one and my one sounds...

thanks again man ...
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 16
I find Momentum are pretty amazing sounding from many DAPs include iPod Classic, Touch and Clip+ without using AMPs and IEMs like W4R will sound thin, less detailed if do direct comparison. I will recommend to buy Meomentum if you find them better sounding than W4R or contact Westone for replacing the pair or fix it for you(if drivers fails).

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I find Momentum are pretty amazing sounding from many DAPs include iPod Classic, Touch and Clip+ without using AMPs and IEMs like W4R will sound thin, less detailed if do direct comparison. I will recommend to buy Meomentum if you find them better sounding than W4R or contact Westone for replacing the pair or fix it for you(if drivers fails).

yeah.... those were my initial thought as well.... that less detail thing i believe due to the sparkle effect on momentums... yet i don't find w4s to be sparkely at all... that's not the prob here.....     so do u have both of them or have u A/B ed them before??

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I don't knw man... I did a load of sweeps and even left right channel sweeps ... seems to be both of em are equally loud yet very Blane sounding and symbols and guitars sound less crispy compared to momentums.... I don't knw what the F^^ is going on... ( may be momentum's have a clear emphasis over upper and mid frequency's  i feels this way?)

but wait... iam using monster 5.5mm Large triple flanges... i have a pretty big man hole here on right side... :p do u believe this may be the issue? since from what i knw that a tight seal will take all the highs and air of a tone....?

Probably not a defect or anything. It was unlikely in the first place. 

Tips shouldn't affect technicalities too much, mainly the sig. The Monster tips are pretty wide-bored so I'm guessing that's not the problem. Could be that the Momentums are simply better to your ears. Stranger things have happened :p

Quote:
hey Twinq's if u don't mind could u send me a link to one of ur reference tracks... so i could tell u what i hear... comparatively i can then get a idea how ur one and my one sounds...

thanks again man ...
beerchug.gif

Working on it...Problem is I have too many 
wink.gif

I'll put in a real nice one soon.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Probably not a defect or anything. It was unlikely in the first place. 

Tips shouldn't affect technicalities too much, mainly the sig. The Monster tips are pretty wide-bored so I'm guessing that's not the problem. Could be that the Momentum's are simply better to your ears. Stranger things have happened :p

Working on it...Problem is I have too many 
wink.gif

I'll put in a real nice one soon.

i have a weird feeling about this... even what i cant stand is that my westones sound real **** with most of the acoustics's in music that i listen... ( metal , alternative , Rock)  this is a one specific song where momentum really stats to give me details while my W4's give me a very bad presentation..( cymbals sound very distant and they are barely audible at times... give it a try although u dont listen to metal music... ( momentum really shows its capability's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or18vcyvCGc 

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 16
The simplicity of the design and Senn's sound signature brought me to momentum as well.

That's just my quick, first feeling, thoughts from one hour shop encounter, so I don't have much experience with them but I trust my guts.
I feed them from Note2> flac 16/44>neutron MP> headphone     OR    usb audio out> otg usb> Fiio E7 dac> Fiio E7 amp> headphone.

So went to store yesterday, spend one hour testing new momemtum and amperior and, comparing directly to my old DT150, just wasn't 100 % sure about them, everything was there but I guess was just looking for something else in sq,  they both great phones and luckily the had just display once...

I wanted momentum as a portable and as much I love the design and sound, I don't like cable very much so will replace it and had a feeling that in those moments when I can't listen to them I couldn't wear them on my neck much,  they are still on bigger side for portable use, to beauty to stuff them to the bag and very nice protector case is very big as well.
For home use their nice leather pads are soft and fit my ears but there is very little space so ears will get warm and possibly sweaty in prolonged home use.
I know they are beauty and simple design is best I've seen so far but I had my doubts, probably, for the price high expectations as well....

Then my uncle came to replace apple ear buds which just can't stay in his ears. I suggest him over ears instead of buds and only in store with apple control were Sennheiser PX100IIi.
OMG what a gem of a phone... in first minute they spoke to me. I dare to say that this fresh, from the box, not burned in PX100IIi, moved me more then Momentums Amperiors... all in first minute no doubts and for 80euro with iphone controls and 26GBP !!!!!! on amazon.co.uk without controls... these are my portables now together with Heirs IEM 5.0.
They drivers fold flat so I can't fell it on my neck, great on ears, sound is miracle for price, and you can fold them to fit small sunglasses case for transport.

For closed headphone Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads for 299USD are my bed for comfy home prolonged use and sound is probably better too ...
For on the go isolation IEM 5.0 no problem with bass and clarity on those...

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 16
I think they compliment each other really well. To me, when I put the Momentums on I have basically an overhead W4 with a bit more sparkle. I find the signatures to be close but at the minute love the Momentums through my amp with the "sound field" switch enabled. Ridiculous 3D sound-stage, albeit a bit artificial. For this single reason I have purchased a 2nd amp just in case the one have has breaks (for that feature).

As an IEM I find the W4 stunning.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I think they compliment each other really well. To me, when I put the Momentums on I have basically an overhead W4 with a bit more sparkle. I find the signatures to be close but at the minute love the Momentums through my amp with the "sound field" switch enabled. Ridiculous 3D sound-stage, albeit a bit artificial. For this single reason I have purchased a 2nd amp just in case the one have has breaks (for that feature).

As an IEM I find the W4 stunning.

Exactly my thoughts man... but I though all I had was a defective W4.. I thought W4 to be superior than the momentums....
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back