Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #31 of 3,533
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #33 of 3,533
Mar 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #35 of 3,533
A TOTL DAP with WiFi!!?? There goes all my money. No 2.5 balanced input though?

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #37 of 3,533
I'm sure it'll sound very nice, but...

what a SPECTACULARLY S T U P I D place to put the power button!

circa $3000 for a DAP that gets accidentally switched-off 40% of the time anyone tries to quickly reach into their pocket and feel for a track-change?

NOT good enough, Lotoo!

What an absolutely stunning example of incompetence.

self foot.png

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #39 of 3,533

circa $3000 for a DAP that gets accidentally switched-off 40% of the time anyone tries to quickly reach into their pocket and feel for a track-change?

NOT good enough, Lotoo!

This power button has the same location as in WM1Z. Most of the touch screen DAPs require on-screen confirmation to shut the power off. Accidental pressing of power button will only turn the screen on/off, and usually you have to hold it pressed for a while to turn the power on. As long as it has a different/larger shape and not placed too close to transport buttons, I think it will be ok :wink: For now, end of the world is avoided! :D

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #40 of 3,533
Mar 30, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #41 of 3,533
This power button has the same location as in WM1Z.

Oh, well apparently 2 'wrongs' make a 'right', then.

Mum was wrong, throughout my childhood! :wink:

2 companies making a stupid design decision doesn't suddenly make it a sensible design decision.

Most of the touch screen DAPs require on-screen confirmation to shut the power off. Accidental pressing of power button will only turn the screen on/off

Fair point, but still not sufficient to excuse the utter stupidity of placing the power button almost-identically next to the RW-PLAY-FFW buttons. No designer with an ounce of common sense would even entertain such a stupid placement. A screen-confirmation dialogue is a lucky save, rather than a legitimate justification for such illogical, unnecessary, and continually-inconvenient button placement.

As long as it has a different/larger shape and not placed too close to transport buttons, I think it will be ok :wink:

Unfortunately, the reality appears to be that the power button is an identical shape, and identical size, and it is placed too close to the transport buttons, with a spacing that looks to be only about 4mm different than the RW-PLAY-FFW button spacings.

I know I won't be popular for calling-out Lotoo on this, when everyone is excited about a brand new toy, but this kind of fundamentally-stupid and totally unnecessary ergonomic design is inexcusable on an uber-premium product.

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 3,533

NOT good enough, Lotoo!

Actually, one of the better examples of poor button placement was X7 with symmetrical Volume +/- and Skip Next/Prev on the opposite sides where 50% of the time I was skipping songs when changing volume. And similarly, X5iii with Play and Power on the opposite sides at the top where so many times while pushing Play I turned off the display since that's where my fingers grip the chassis. But anyway...

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #43 of 3,533
Actually, one of the better examples of poor button placement was X7 with symmetrical Volume +/- and Skip Next/Prev on the opposite sides where 50% of the time I was skipping songs when changing volume. And similarly, X5iii with Play and Power on the opposite sides at the top where so many times while pushing Play I turned off the display since that's where my fingers grip the chassis. But anyway...

You wanna know what's even more insanely stupid about those Fiio button placements? I publicly and privately discussed the stupidity of that with James (Fiio) BEFORE the products were finalised, and Fiio STILL went ahead and did it anyway!!! (same kind of thing on Cowon J3, with volume button on opposite side to power button, and on Samsung Galaxy S2 same thing again). If you care to search some of the Fiio threads, you'll probably find the conversation(s) I am referring to.

Head-bang.gif

EDIT:

I can find the private discussion I had with James (Fiio), regarding button placements, though obviously I can't post that publicly.

Here's one of the public ones I can find, from the T3 thread:

www.head-fi.org/threads/the-upcoming-fiio-t3-dual-sd-slot-3-2-inch-full-touch-screen-optical-coaxial-usb-digital-output-slim-design-apt-x-type-c.799227/page-28#post-12458318

and another from the 1st gen X5 thread:

www.head-fi.org/threads/the-fiio-x5-thread.661411/page-162#post-10080412

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #44 of 3,533
I know I won't be popular for calling-out Lotoo on this, when everyone is excited about a brand new toy, but this kind of fundamentally-stupid and totally unnecessary ergonomic design is inexcusable on an uber-premium product.

Well, it's good to challenge things with your own personal opinion, and you have been doing that succesfully in many threads, bro. But damn, you are one Angry Young Man :D

In all seriousness, the DAP still has a small footprint and the top side is busy with HO ports and a volume wheel. I can only guess that maybe placement of buttons is dictated by the layout of the printed wiring board and where controls are, though not sure what's on the left side. But as long as there is a Dignis leather case with their signature raised imprinted buttons, it will be ok.

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #45 of 3,533
It's not born of anger.

It's just calling a spade a spade, if a design (software or hardware) could EASILY be better, but the manufacturer has not bothered to stop & think about how their decision may affect their customers, then I'm not shy to say it loudly (I'm not speaking only about Lotoo)

In a situation where an annoying issue with a product is related to a very complex & challenging development project, then that's different, and I am much more understanding, but where buttons are designed stupidly, or features that a company have already included or done better on an older model are worse or absent on a newer model, it's selling their customers short.

If original LPG is anything to go by, I suspect LPG-Touch may well give iRiver a run for their money, which will be interesting to observe. We shall see...
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• SUBA
Back