Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Apr 16, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #32 of 802
I'm presently using my DT880 600 Ohm and sitting at -30 on the volume, it seems to have enough power for me running straight out of the Oppo with RCA's.

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 802
Using my amp this morning with my T5p.2's.
I am using a cheap splitter out of my DAP to some old RCA's to the back of my Loxjie. Out front I am using a balanced XLR cable to my headphones. Balanced input cable is literally on the slow boat from Hong Kong.

Volume is set at -25 with very efficient 32 Ohm headphones.

Not quite as clear as my Burson amp, but bassier. I don't think I can really form any opinions until I have a fully balanced path. It does sound good to me though. Hopefully it will be a nice companion to the Burson.

It does get very warm. I thought the tubes would light up a lot more.

Man, those tubes are in tight! I am afraid to damage them in removal. I might use a small piece of rubber to get a better grip and then hopefully I won't have to grip as hard.

Shane D

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #35 of 802
Man, those tubes are in tight! I am afraid to damage them in removal. I might use a small piece of rubber to get a better grip and then hopefully I won't have to grip as hard.

Shane D

To remove the tubes, grab each one with index and thumb fingers with two hands. Rock them back and forth ever so slightly while pulling up.
Don't pull straight up. It's more of a wiggle movement while pulling up.
my2cents

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #36 of 802
I'm at -50 *(fully balanced) for Fostex TH900sb and Focal Stellia and -45 for the amiron home. My amp does not get hot at all, only the tubes are hot but the amp itself says hand-warm.

Wow on your volumes. I do not listen loud and my T5p.2's are super easy to drive. I am finding myself at about -20, depending on the music. But I am only half balanced.

My top plate gets warm and the tubes get hot, but I can still hold on to them with my fingers, so it's not "burn me" hot.
Much warmer than my Burson Fun. But not nearly as hot as some tube amps that you read about that will actually burn you. Maybe because it's a hybrid.

Shane D

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #37 of 802
To remove the tubes, grab each one with index and thumb fingers with two hands. Rock them back and forth ever so slightly while pulling up.
Don't pull straight up. It's more of a wiggle movement while pulling up.
my2cents

I will try that when the new tubes come in. That will be a while. They are on the same schedule as the cable from Hong Kong.

P20 and headphone cable ordered on Friday and received on Monday.

Cable ordered on Friday due "sometime" in May (from Hong Kong).

Tubes ordered on Saturday due "sometime" in May (from Ukraine).

Shane D

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #38 of 802
Wow on your volumes. I do not listen loud and my T5p.2's are super easy to drive. I am finding myself at about -20, depending on the music. But I am only half balanced.

My top plate gets warm and the tubes get hot, but I can still hold on to them with my fingers, so it's not "burn me" hot.
Much warmer than my Burson Fun. But not nearly as hot as some tube amps that you read about that will actually burn you. Maybe because it's a hybrid.

Shane D

Yeah mine is nearly maxed out. When getting ready for bed, i might have it at -15-20, but for normal, daytime listening when i want it loud, it's not super uncommon to be a 0 or like -5-10.

How do you like the Meze 99? I'm thinking about picking some up for hip hop and metal to compliment my 6XX. The used price on the Neo is pretty insane - it looks like you can pick up a pair for $150 if you're patient.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 802
Yeah mine is nearly maxed out. When getting ready for bed, i might have it at -15-20, but for normal, daytime listening when i want it loud, it's not super uncommon to be a 0 or like -5-10.

How do you like the Meze 99? I'm thinking about picking some up for hip hop and metal to compliment my 6XX. The used price on the Neo is pretty insane - it looks like you can pick up a pair for $150 if you're patient.

I love my 99 Classic's. They really don't need any amplification. They sound great out of my LG V30.

How about the Neo through MassDrop? $200.00 on there, brand new.

Shane D

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #40 of 802
so are you saying the new 6N3P $15 a pair are better, in your opinion over the slyvania
5670s??

FYI -
volume on the Shure 1540 at -33 (lower power) very smooth sound - remember -60 is off
volume on the DT1770 at -30 (more clinical precise sound, more tight thump)
volume on the HD 6xx at -28 (more power needed) of course very open airy, less bass than above closed back

my2cents
Switched to the JAN sylvana's again and I think they have a slightly more controlled bass than the 6Н3П-ЕВ. The 6Н3П-ЕВ have more bass quantity though.
Mids and highs are quite similair, would say the 5670's have slight less spark, they sound a bit darker.

the stellia's are neutral and the p20 gives me the extra bass I like. Using the P20 with my TH900s is overdoing the bass. I prefer the TH900 with NFB-1amp over p20 any second of the day.

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #44 of 802
I've been running this little unit straight from my Oppo, no external DAC and have consistently been impressed with the sound. All my listening of late has been with my DT880 600ohm.
A matched pair of Russian 6N3P-E 6Н3П-Е tubes came in today that I ordered off ebay for 15 bucks and amazingly it sounds even better to my ears. A little more delicate in the details and a bit cleaner in the high end. I have two other hp systems with dedicated external DAC's and amps but find myself listening to this setup lately. So an old Oppo player spinning discs to a 100 dollar Chinese hybrid amp is making my Beyers sound exceptional IMHO.
Can't wait to hear this with a balanced DAC\Headphones later on if I go that route but right now I'm impressed! Bass is present, not overbearing at all but not lacking either. Mids seem natural as guitar and vocals are reproduced without any obvious flaws. Highs are controlled and I usually EQ the DT880's a bit but they are relaxed and not sharp on the material I've been listening to this far. Listening to some Strunz & Farah Primal Magic and all is well, not the best I've ever heard but certainly not the worst!

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #45 of 802
I am still going off my stock tubes, which must be well broken in by now.

I am going directly from Sony ZX-300 via headphone out (3.5mm to dual RCA) and balanced out to my Beyers T5p.2's.

I find the amp very thick and bassy compared to my Burson Fun-Classic. I didn't care for it at first. Now I am getting more used to it and actually enjoy it with material that can be considered a little shrill or piercing. In my case that would be Florence and the Machine, Miles Davis, Freddie Hubbard, Kamasi Washington, etc.

The Loxjie really smoothes all of them out. However, I know it's not accurate.

I have been using it daily for almost two weeks and think it sounds good now.

Yesterday I received a DB meter and I wanted to test it out. I then tried my Burson out and it was like "Man, that sounds great!"

I am still awaiting my balanced source cable and my Russian tubes. I will dedicate May to exploring every variable with this set up.

Not sure how often I would prefer thick and bassy to clean and clear. I need to wait until all the goodies are in to decide.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back