Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2,011 of 5,299
Hi folks,

I was fallowing this thread when it was only 20 pages long and you got so far ahead...Now when the hype is gone a bit can someone give me an update if L&P W2 has EMI noise using it with iphone ? Most importantly how does it compares to dongle king S1 ?
As I am lately listening to Android phone I can say there's still EMI also on W2 when changing transmitter masts e.g
Before giving perse answers to which dongle is better you should write what you want to pair it with, are you listening to Tidal MQA, prefer reference dry or darker wet signature?

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,012 of 5,299
As I am lately listening to Android phone I can say there's still EMI also on W2 when changing transmitter masts e.g
Before giving perse answers to which dongle is better you should write what you want to pair it with, are you listening to Tidal MQA, prefer reference dry or darker wet signature?
I only get EMI when I try to use the OTG adapter that places the W2 on the back of the phone like pictured below. When I use the stock cable, I never have EMI issues.
1618859645310.png

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #2,013 of 5,299
I only get EMI when I try to use the OTG adapter that places the W2 on the back of the phone like pictured below. When I use the stock cable, I never have EMI issues.
1618859645310.png
interesting, so after all the discussion we had about the minor quality of the stock cable connectors they might still have an advantage about shielding EMI?
a pity that my 180 degree aliexpress connector is broken right from the start, would also like to have your setup...

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,014 of 5,299

I prefer darker and more laid back signature for such dongles. For me S1 with AKM chip was a huge step up from dongles like DFR, but if EMI noise is present there that's a deal breaker for me :/

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,015 of 5,299
I prefer darker and more laid back signature for such dongles. For me S1 with AKM chip was a huge step up from dongles like DFR, but if EMI noise is present there that's a deal breaker for me :/
If you prefer a darker and more laid back signature, then the W2 is not for you. Clear, powerful, ethereal, spacious, natural, all explain the W2, but not dark or laid back. An AKM chip may be better suited for that signature.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #2,016 of 5,299
If you prefer a darker and more laid back signature, then the W2 is not for you. Clear, powerful, ethereal, spacious, natural, all explain the W2, but not dark or laid back. An AKM chip may be better suited for that signature.
I 2nd this post

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,017 of 5,299
Hi folks,

I was fallowing this thread when it was only 20 pages long and you got so far ahead...Now when the hype is gone a bit can someone give me an update if L&P W2 has EMI noise using it with iphone ? Most importantly how does it compares to dongle king S1 ?
I'm using the W2 with an iPhone 11. If the W2 is attached (or very, very close) to the back of the iPhone, there is EMI. If it is hanging down by the cable, then there is absolutely no EMI. However, this is impossible with the included cable. I got the straight Penon lightning>USB-C cable. That is a very solid cable. I have not had a single disconnect since getting it. There's a link to it in my earlier post. I've not heard the S1, so opinion on that comparison. hth.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,019 of 5,299
Please listen to a piece of music at 4:05 "...for the trouble" with high-impedance headphones at high volume.
Do you hear unacceptable distortion on the W2? Similar to digital noise. I notice them already at 96% HG volume with 32 ohm IEM
OR perhaps it's a problem with the recording, especially seeing as its source is YouTube and not a hifi source. Also, this dongle has been measured and has zero issues with distortion, so it's either the music source or your headphones that are being overpowered.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,020 of 5,299
OR perhaps it's a problem with the recording, especially seeing as its source is YouTube and not a hifi source. Also, this dongle has been measured and has zero issues with distortion, so it's either the music source or your headphones that are being overpowered.
with E1DA on the same IEMs there is no such noticeable distortion.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,021 of 5,299
Apr 19, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,023 of 5,299
Please listen to a piece of music at 4:05 "...for the trouble" with high-impedance headphones at high volume.
Do you hear unacceptable distortion on the W2? Similar to digital noise. I notice them already at 96% HG volume with 32 ohm IEM
@bluestorm1992, faulty unit or something to bring to LP's attention? It's the first I've heard of this issue and doesn't occur with my unit.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,024 of 5,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back