Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #196 of 5,299
I am not an "expert" but as a MSC in Electronic I have had some knowledge in this area. Generally Balanced connections (outputs) provide a much better protection from noise levels and from interference. It is THE type of connectivity in professional AUDIO systems as it has the best transmission characteristics. What is done is basically splitting up a a signal from 0 to 5V for example to a signal of -5V to +5V thus increasing resilience and also diminishing the influence of the cables. Cables have induction, resistance and capacity characteristics (not avoidable) which act as filters (low pass or high pass filter) and a balanced output helps to reduce noise levels, increases signal accuracy and lowers distortions. For IEM's it has the practical aspect of not only reducing the THD+N issues, but also increases the output power - as to be seen in the links that i sent in earlier responses. For a NON trained ear, the differences are minute and eventually not recognizable, as is the difference between cable IEM's and wireless IEM's (as Bluetooth has lousy AUDIO signa characteristics) - many people would not even be able to hear the difference between the mp3 files and FLAC or other audio lossless recordings. That was the breakthrough from the Fraunhofer Institute in Germany who developed the mp3 encoding - they figured out that most people can be tricked and do not hear the subtle differences in recorded music.
FOR AUDIO freaks (like me) and for trained ears (as most musicians for example have) the difference is bluntly noticeable and therefore we have to spend respective money and use the most advanced technologies (like balanced output signals) to be satisfied with the results. I can hear the difference between balanced and unbalanced signals and that means that i will never be able to switch to wireless Bluetooth IEM's - sad.
So if you are easy going with sound quality - don't bother with Balanced or unbalanced signals - if you do want the best sound reproduction available from your device and it provides balanced outputs - you should seriously consider and use it !

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #197 of 5,299
I am not an "expert" but as a MSC in Electronic I have had some knowledge in this area. Generally Balanced connections (outputs) provide a much better protection from noise levels and from interference. It is THE type of connectivity in professional AUDIO systems as it has the best transmission characteristics. What is done is basically splitting up a a signal from 0 to 5V for example to a signal of -5V to +5V thus increasing resilience and also diminishing the influence of the cables. Cables have induction, resistance and capacity characteristics (not avoidable) which act as filters (low pass or high pass filter) and a balanced output helps to reduce noise levels, increases signal accuracy and lowers distortions. For IEM's it has the practical aspect of not only reducing the THD+N issues, but also increases the output power - as to be seen in the links that i sent in earlier responses. For a NON trained ear, the differences are minute and eventually not recognizable, as is the difference between cable IEM's and wireless IEM's (as Bluetooth has lousy AUDIO signa characteristics) - many people would not even be able to hear the difference between the mp3 files and FLAC or other audio lossless recordings. That was the breakthrough from the Fraunhofer Institute in Germany who developed the mp3 encoding - they figured out that most people can be tricked and do not hear the subtle differences in recorded music.
FOR AUDIO freaks (like me) and for trained ears (as most musicians for example have) the difference is bluntly noticeable and therefore we have to spend respective money and use the most advanced technologies (like balanced output signals) to be satisfied with the results. I can hear the difference between balanced and unbalanced signals and that means that i will never be able to switch to wireless Bluetooth IEM's - sad.
So if you are easy going with sound quality - don't bother with Balanced or unbalanced signals - if you do want the best sound reproduction available from your device and it provides balanced outputs - you should seriously consider and use it !

Lotoo S1 had more EMI interference via balanced than single ended though. I think sound quality there depends on the circuit design. Like nearly all of us I can't tell the difference for anything going above mp3, but heard plenty of single ended amplifiers which smoked balanced ones

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #198 of 5,299
True - we talk about minute differences - especially since we talk about cable length that are so small. In my HiFi system (Source-Amp-Floor standing loudspeakers) I use single ended RCA and it is absolutely on par with XLS balanced cables. On google they say:

The main benefit of balanced cables is their ability to transfer sound signals over much longer runs/distances without signal loss, or interference. ... In a nutshell, a balanced interconnect has some sonic benefit over unbalanced. In equipment where you have both options, it's wise to chose XLR over RCA.Jul 1, 2016

That said - since my IEM has a 4.4 mm connector and the W1 has a 4.4 mm output - I just use the balanced output. More important i feel, than the discussion about balanced vs unbalanced is the recording quality - some scanned CD's reveal in high quality reproduction systems a terrible sound mixer work - which remained undetected otherwise.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #203 of 5,299
February 6th to 20th Chinese Spring Festival.
This will definitely delay the international release of the W2.
You are right - usually from 25.12 onwards until end of Februar the following year nothing really gets done in China - By experience, so they also like to enjoy life a little bit from time to time... we are all humans and not living only to work hard...
W2 -hm, seems like a long wait -it was too long of a wait for me, i got the W1 and it fits in my smartphone pocket if used with a 90 degrees USB-C connector

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #205 of 5,299

Attachments

• Luxury-Precision-W1-USER_GUIDE-EN.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #206 of 5,299

Attachments

• W-1 EQ.jpg
    W-1 EQ.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #210 of 5,299
that is exactly how I use it too - high gain - balanced output and - Dolby Atmos switched on (if available). A GL2000 is a big Headphone - it works even with such a device ? WOW !!! my little IEM is on 75% power out put and that is already pretty loud...so you run it at what 90% ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back