Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 31, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,821 of 5,299
Onyx sounds superb. It's bullet proof, unfussy design is sleek.

In fast a/b comparison tests using a 3.5mm cable the L&P W2 edges out the Onyx with just fractionally better extended sub bass and HF. (Really cutting it fine here, I am talking 5% or 8% better, making the extra $150 for the W2 and shipping costs a somewhat kamikaze move for my wallet)

But W2 has balanced 4.4 outputs in addition to the 3.5 and although I wasn't able to do a fast a/b test against the Onyx 3.5 (it takes time to unattach and reattach cables) I did feel W2's 4.4 output was - fractionally better than the 3.5 output and so also the Onyx.

Finally, I wanted to see if the W2 Balanced 4.4 sound might top my Sony NWZ 507 DAP sound. The Sony has a warm (but not boomy) huge size overall but that warmth made me want to apply some eq to it to retrieve some treble.

So the W2 is a keeper. Perhaps very slightly less huge sounding than the Sony NWZ 507 DAP but that's fair enough. The DAP is way bigger and 2 x the cost.

Onyx either gets returned or sold perhaps with its Apple camera kit cable

Sony NWZ 507 will get sold.

Even after just a few days I will miss the sleek design of the Onyx (even with that stupid Apple camera kit cable) I think it's a truly great product and part of me wants to keep it.

The Sony is a cutie too. I will miss it's unique low weight & size as a shirt pocket DAP but I will not miss it's poor battery life.

I hope the W2 is durable. I am rough on my stuff. Plastic case is ordered.
Gah.

I am going to test again.

It's so close.

May 31, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,822 of 5,299
Gah!!! Had to double check

Now I am finding the W2 - too "surgical"
And THX Onyx - more pleasantly "euphonic"

They both deliver hires sub bass and extended high frequencies fantastically - its just that in my tests on my music the THX sounds more pleasing.

And I think the Onyx might survive better in my pocket (with my usual careless, rough treatment) Due to form factor.

I will test again tomorrow. But I think I have made my mind up. Onyx was love at first sight!

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2,823 of 5,299
Ok so I just realised the source of my issues of frequent disconnections was the USB cable! Who wouldve thought. Has anyone else ran into the same issue? Just wondering what USB cable or adaptor to get? Something which is short and easy to transport in pocket for on the go.
Cannot believe they would give such a cheap bad cable on an otherwise wonderful product.

Thanks so much.

May 31, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #2,824 of 5,299
Ok so I just realised the source of my issues of frequent disconnections was the USB cable! Who wouldve thought. Has anyone else ran into the same issue? Just wondering what USB cable or adaptor to get? Something which is short and easy to transport in pocket for on the go.
Cannot believe they would give such a cheap bad cable on an otherwise wonderful product.

Thanks so much.
Same here with S1, looks like the main issue with dongles: my cables usually survive up to 6 months before replacement. Besides original and several subpar nonames, I had a Fiio cable which was also completely broken in a few months and went ddHiFi way this time: no issues so far, might survive longer because of better strain relief and more flexibility.

May 31, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #2,825 of 5,299
Yep guys, look in this thread after "penon" or "ddhifi". Many others went through the same story yet and got 3rd party cables meanwhile

May 31, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,826 of 5,299

Thanks so much.
I honestly belive Apple puts a hex on all 3rd party lightning cables!

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,828 of 5,299
Just a couple of notes of caution on the W2. Though SQ is probably best in class/price range, it does use about 20% more battery (according to my amateur tests) than, say, the Dragonfly Cobalt (around 10% an hour on my S20 - low gain, and low ohm IEMs). Also, as it needs a separate USB-c cable, it has twice the chance of becoming disconnected. Both of these are a real pain if you are using it on the go.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,829 of 5,299
what kind of SPDIF cable does the W2 take? I tried a 3.5mm mini-Toslink, and a 3.5mm coax, and they both don’t work in SPDIF mode. No output at all as received by my RME DAC.

Found my answer in the thread.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,830 of 5,299
Just a couple of notes of caution on the W2. Though SQ is probably best in class/price range, it does use about 20% more battery (according to my amateur tests) than, say, the Dragonfly Cobalt (around 10% an hour on my S20 - low gain, and low ohm IEMs). Also, as it needs a separate USB-c cable, it has twice the chance of becoming disconnected. Both of these are a real pain if you are using it on the go.
I found it advantageous to have a replaceable cable.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,831 of 5,299
I have the same observations. Getting a DDHifi lightning connector might solve the longer term problem. Mine fits flush against my iPhone and is very sturdy. I am hoping it stays that way for a long time. The stock lightning cable sucks.

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,832 of 5,299
Worked fine for me.. But I've only had it a few days.

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,833 of 5,299
Hey all,

Does anyone know of any usb-c to lightning OTG cables similar to the one that comes with the W2 to order online? Mine isn't working all of a sudden. Yes confirmed since I tested the usb-c to usb-c and both 3.5 and 4.4mm and the weak link is the lightning cable.

I ordered a seemingly good quality one from ESR but it won't register with the W2 at all. I have reached out to Musicteck but figured I'd ask here as well.

Cheers

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #2,834 of 5,299
Hey all,

Does anyone know of any usb-c to lightning OTG cables similar to the one that comes with the W2 to order online? Mine isn't working all of a sudden. Yes confirmed since I tested the usb-c to usb-c and both 3.5 and 4.4mm and the weak link is the lightning cable.

I ordered a seemingly good quality one from ESR but it won't register with the W2 at all. I have reached out to Musicteck but figured I'd ask here as well.

Cheers
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005002246584187.html
Or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002275865070.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ccc4c4djhZuTL
Or
https://penonaudio.com/type-c-to-lightning-silver-plated-cable.html

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #2,835 of 5,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back