Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
May 10, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #258 of 1,435
oops sorry I should have updated that in the main post. Please try this now: Enter the UAC mode of the device and then long press the volume knob.

May 10, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #259 of 1,435
May 10, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #261 of 1,435
May 10, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #262 of 1,435
May 10, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #264 of 1,435
Just read through everything here... seems promising. I'm looking to upgrade from my Dethonray Pegasus SG1 as it doesn't have enough power to drive my Helios (and soon the Helios SE.)

Currently I'm considering the Pegasus SG1 Gold which is much more powerful and allegedly better sounding than the original. However, it's $570 USD or so after ship from Switzerland (and not available elsewhere to my knowledge) so kind of a lot of swallow considering I paid a bit over half that amount for the original. Aside from that, I've also been looking at midrange DAPs on the used market (like Hiby RS6, Shanling M6U, iBasso DX240, etc.) All of a sudden I'm seeing this W4 spreading around the forums, and from what I've read L&P has made some excellent sounding equipment in the past.

So my question is, from a pure cost/sound quality ratio perspective, what would be my best portable option(s) in this $500 ± 200 budget? Bluetooth amp, DAP, or dongle, doesn't matter as long as I can stream Apple Music and bring it around without looking like this guy. I think I prefer a more warmer, musical sounding option as opposed to a bright or analytical device.

Hopefully this question doesn't sound silly. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #265 of 1,435
Just read through everything here... seems promising. I'm looking to upgrade from my Dethonray Pegasus SG1 as it doesn't have enough power to drive my Helios (and soon the Helios SE.)

Currently I'm considering the Pegasus SG1 Gold which is much more powerful and allegedly better sounding than the original. However, it's $570 USD or so after ship from Switzerland (and not available elsewhere to my knowledge) so kind of a lot of swallow considering I paid a bit over half that amount for the original. Aside from that, I've also been looking at midrange DAPs on the used market (like Hiby RS6, Shanling M6U, iBasso DX240, etc.) All of a sudden I'm seeing this W4 spreading around the forums, and from what I've read L&P has made some excellent sounding equipment in the past.

So my question is, from a pure cost/sound quality ratio perspective, what would be my best portable option(s) in this $500 ± 200 budget? Bluetooth amp, DAP, or dongle, doesn't matter as long as I can stream Apple Music and bring it around without looking like this guy. I think I prefer a more warmer, musical sounding option as opposed to a bright or analytical device.

One new entry to consider would be the iFi go pod: https://ifi-audio.com/products/go-pod/

Amazing how many options are available. The challenge is in the choosing, but the good news is there are likely few bad choices one could actually make.

May 10, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #266 of 1,435
The fact that people actual spent money on Dethonray is beyond me.

May 10, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #267 of 1,435
WOw, thanks! Your W2 (and now W4) support is really cool. New firmware works great on W2. I’m still on the fence about W4 since W2 works so well for me. But thanks @bluestorm1992 for keeping the firmware links going for both the old and new products. Cheers!

And thanks to L&P for still updating the W2 even though the W4 is out. Nice!

May 11, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #269 of 1,435
Are their products bad? I'm quite happy with my sg1 aside from the power being lacking.
Calling SG1 bad will be an insult to the word itself. People don't always agree that measurement can reflect 100% of their subjective interpretation of SQ and I respect that. But sometime there comes this one thing that measured so badly that it will let you question the "engineer" that designs it even actually have any engineering training at all, and SG1 fits perfectly in that example.

May 11, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #270 of 1,435

Given the type of sound you say to look for, if I were you I would take a Cayin RU6. You won't faint and you have the best value for money. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back