Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
May 13, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #316 of 1,437
In my opinion, i dont think so. Yes w4 is good. But if you compare with Flag ship tier DAP.... not fair for W4 😁😁. It better than Mid range DAP. For example, i have test with fiio m11 plus, hiby r6 pro and shanling M7. P/p w4 is better than that all and w4 is so convenient for traveling or go to the coffe shop
It is incredible that something this small can sound so good.
I am sure it will be a success just as W2 is.

May 13, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #319 of 1,437
Here are some early impressions from a 1.5 hour session I had this afternoon using W4 with my iPhone 13 Pro Max and Sennheiser IE900 IEMs streaming from Apple Music.

Easily the best SQ I’ve heard from a dongle but my experience is limited to only W2, iFi Gold Bar and Lotoo Paw S1. If you’re familiar with L&P sound from their DAPs, I think you’ll feel right at home with W4. It sounds tonally closer to P6P (and LP6 Ti but to a lesser extent) than W2 to my ears. Rich bass, textured treble, and a more R2R-esque transient response. It has a powerful dynamic sound and a very dark background between notes. Staging and imaging seem decent but I’m not blown away by it either. Again I’m reminded of L&P DAPs with their more intimate and forward presentation. However, It doesn’t sound congested or narrow either.

Can you (or anyone) comment on how this device compares specifically to the iFi Gold Bar in sound quality, please? Thank you!

May 13, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #321 of 1,437
I'm torn between the W4 and the W4-EX.
I'd only use it for IEMs, so I wouldn't need the extra power.
But I wish they hadn't sacrificed anything other than output power.
I was in your situation too but I decided to get the W4 as I don't want to regret later and you never know you may need the extra power in the future. :)

May 13, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #322 of 1,437
Based on the earlier posted impression sounds like it's a step up from W2, not sure how big though, small or even non existing things tend to get exaggerated in this hobby.
Just had another round of testing BTR7 against W2 today and it's just shocking how much more 3D, spacious, lush and grand FiiO sounds comparing to relatively flat and dry presentation of W2.
Wondering if it's just advantage of proper amplification and USB only powered dongles just don't have enough juice to drive even most IEMs properly. Was testing with Dunu SA6 and ThieAudio Monarch MK2. Of course being Swiss knife of BT and USB in one package is another, not a small advantage of BTR7.
Sorry for brining this up in L&P thread, hopefully our friend ClieOS will be able to compare both after getting W4.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #323 of 1,437
Sorry for brining this up in L&P thread, hopefully our friend ClieOS will be able to compare both after getting W4.
My W4 got stuck in the custom for the weekend, but I should be able to get it by Monday.

p/s: seems like the delivery company has made some mistake and sent it to the wrong area. Gonna take another day to reroute it back. Tuesday it is.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #325 of 1,437
Are there any dimensions of this dongle? I'm trying to understand how it compares to W2. Because the W2 was perfectly combined with something like the Hiby R3, which made a great rig in terms of convenience and portability.

May 15, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #326 of 1,437
I'm torn between the W4 and the W4-EX.
I'd only use it for IEMs, so I wouldn't need the extra power.
But I wish they hadn't sacrificed anything other than output power.
If there are no issues with volume control, namely accuracy, and battery life, then having extra power means better control and dynamics in many cases. On the other hand, if you are using something like CA Andromeda or Solaris, which are quite sensitive and don't require a lot of power, it can become a hindrance due to background noise, etc. So you need to understand the W4 user case.

May 15, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #327 of 1,437
Are there any dimensions of this dongle? I'm trying to understand how it compares to W2. Because the W2 was perfectly combined with something like the Hiby R3, which made a great rig in terms of convenience and portability.
Longer and wider then W2, but I am sure that will not be a problem even attached to the back of the phone.

Attachments

• 151511oaufma1s1lgfzu1u.jpg
    151511oaufma1s1lgfzu1u.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #328 of 1,437
Had dropped by Jaben Singapore for something else. See what greeted me when I walked in. 😱

PHOTO-2023-05-15-17-44-44.jpeg

May 15, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #329 of 1,437
Bought home one set of the W4. Just sharing some photos. I shall have a listen later tonight. :)

IMG_6713.jpeg

IMG_6714.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg

May 15, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #330 of 1,437
If there are no issues with volume control, namely accuracy, and battery life, then having extra power means better control and dynamics in many cases. On the other hand, if you are using something like CA Andromeda or Solaris, which are quite sensitive and don't require a lot of power, it can become a hindrance due to background noise, etc. So you need to understand the W4 user case.

I already have the GOLD-BAR as a power dongle. I think I'm staying on W4-EX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back