LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,471 of 5,225
Where can you pick up that 16 core cable?

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #4,473 of 5,225
Thanks for the recommendations @Ahmad313 , I don't see the pink one for $20 on that store, but I guess any one will do right?

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4,477 of 5,225
Can anyone make a meaningful comparison between these and the HD600/650?

I use both for work and would LOVE an IEM that was as useable, even if it doesn't sound the same... if that makes sense.

Basically I can learn to work around a sound signature, or use EQ to tweak a bit, but if the baseline quality isn't there it's kinda pointless.

Any and all thoughts would be super helpful!

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #4,478 of 5,225
Can anyone make a meaningful comparison between these and the HD600/650?

I use both for work and would LOVE an IEM that was as useable, even if it doesn't sound the same... if that makes sense.

Basically I can learn to work around a sound signature, or use EQ to tweak a bit, but if the baseline quality isn't there it's kinda pointless.

Any and all thoughts would be super helpful!

FWIW I don't think it's possible to make a meaningful comparison between a full size headphone and a pair of IEM's.....

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #4,479 of 5,225
FWIW I don't think it's possible to make a meaningful comparison between a full size headphone and a pair of IEM's.....

And yet... :)

I know what you mean as I use full size headphones, IEMs and earbuds daily, but at the same time... I don't mind if they sound DIFFERENT, but are they near enough to the same quality (by which I mean able to accurately reproduce things, distortion, build, etc., etc.)?

I would be using them to edit audio, and maybe some light mix work, but of course I'd check with monitors, etc.

Thanks for your response!

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #4,480 of 5,225
And yet... :)

I know what you mean as I use full size headphones, IEMs and earbuds daily, but at the same time... I don't mind if they sound DIFFERENT, but are they near enough to the same quality (by which I mean able to accurately reproduce things, distortion, build, etc., etc.)?

I would be using them to edit audio, and maybe some light mix work, but of course I'd check with monitors, etc.

Thanks for your response!
A4 is an excellent and very capable iem very clean sound and excellent instruments separation , i don't have HD600/650 but it is much better than my Beyerdynamic COP(full size headphone) and much much better than my Sennheiser's CX870 and CX980, further more it has 18 different tuning options so you can easily get your desired sound signature .

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,481 of 5,225
A4 is an excellent and very capable iem very clean sound and excellent instruments separation , i don't have HD600/650 but it is much better than my Beyerdynamic COP(full size headphone) and much much better than my Sennheiser's CX870 and CX980, further more it has 18 different tuning options so you can easily get your desired sound signature .

Tell me, would you - or any A4 owner - have a listen to this:

or this:

and tell me how it sounds?

I work in soundtracks and modern pop, so I need something that can do modern classical and sub bass pop without sounding fake or being overwhelmed by the sub bass.

I also need bass guitar to sound real... and female vocals.

I can get by with less sub bass as long as I can make translatable EQ choices in the other frequency ranges. That's pretty much how I use the 650s.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,482 of 5,225
Tell me, would you - or any A4 owner - have a listen to this:

or this:

and tell me how it sounds?

I work in soundtracks and modern pop, so I need something that can do modern classical and sub bass pop without sounding fake or being overwhelmed by the sub bass.

I also need bass guitar to sound real... and female vocals.

I can get by with less sub bass as long as I can make translatable EQ choices in the other frequency ranges. That's pretty much how I use the 650s.

I think @peter123 or @Brooko can guide you better ( in details).

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #4,483 of 5,225
Its an impossible question to answer - the A4 has tuning options, and HD600/650 don't. The HD600/650 also have to account for your pinnae, and reflections within the cup. The A4 doesn't. And both 600/650 are open - which allows cross-talk, the A4 doesn't.

In terms of overall tonality, the A4 has more sub-bass presence than both HD600 and 650, and the bass bump is more 60 Hz centered than the HD600/650's 10-200 Hz. The Senns have less mid-range recession, the A4 has a little earlier upper mid-range emphasis, and more extension and presence in the lower treble.

Where I find the HD600 very natural sounding - the A4 is more vivid or coloured (black/pink or black/grey)

Or course you can change the filters and get a lot of differences - so thats why its so hard to compare.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #4,484 of 5,225
I bought these IEM's on new years eve. Since then I have to report that they have held up very well and are still a pleasure to listen to.

A great value for the money.

I love how well they isolate and block extraneous noise, which wasn't an aspect I was looking for when purchasing them, but has proved to be invaluable at times.

I love the balance of the bass and how well the back filters augment the bass response.

I'm still in love with the Black/Black combination which puts me in the center of the music and creates a beautiful soundstage and great balance of sound signature.

These respond very well to EQ, which further allows you to augment the sound if the filters aren't sufficient for you.

Very very versatile sound...

5/5 stars. I wish the ergonomics were better, but what you get for the money completely outweighs this single drawback I have for it... And they are still comfortable :ksc75smile:.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,485 of 5,225
Hey all. Loving my A4s, which I tend to use hooked up to Martin's HVA. Tone and mids are lovely, and bass is usually really good. However for some of my electronic music the bottom end sometimes feels a little, well, polite.

Having a good look at the Vorzuge Duo amp (original, can't afford the new) for its bass boost. Has anyone tried this combo and could advise whether it's a winner or if the Duo bass boost is too much for the A4s.

Alternatively any advice for another portable amp with hard eq-ing options, for bass and maybe treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back