LZ A5
Jan 4, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #121 of 1,177
This is not directly related but is there good audio shops in Singapore that i can buy or test IEMs like LZ or ibasso etc.

I am flying over in June and want to see if its better to wait until then as might be cheaper or just get them in UK sooner.
Thanks in advance

http://www.lendmeurears.com
store address is:

No. 1 Coleman St, The Adelphi, #04-16Singapore 179803Contact No: 6268 6104
Opening Hours:

Monday-Saturday: 12pm to 7.30pmClosed on Public Holidays

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #123 of 1,177
That curve looks better than the A4.

I think the main thing 'wrong' with the A4s - well the only things I'd want to fix - is the recessed low mids, and the quality of the high frequency stuff. I'm a huge fan of the A4s as most people know, but if those two things were improved I'd be over the moon.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #126 of 1,177
That curve looks better than the A4.

I think the main thing 'wrong' with the A4s - well the only things I'd want to fix - is the recessed low mids, and the quality of the high frequency stuff. I'm a huge fan of the A4s as most people know, but if those two things were improved I'd be over the moon.
You can use EQ to fix that issue ,

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #127 of 1,177
You can use EQ to fix that issue ,

The low mid issue yes, but not the treble thing.

I use EQ with mine every day btw., and they take eq really well, so it's not a bad suggestion. :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #128 of 1,177
The A4 has no coherency issues - at least not to my tastes anyway. It has a really nice transition from lower to upper mid-range. They also developed and sold their Big Dipper (current flagship) - a 7BA per side (Knowles) with active crossovers. They are outstanding. They are so good I purchased a set (yep - paid real money for them). I could have simply kept my review set - but I make a practise of buying anything I really like for personal use. Easy choice for me - one of my most used IEMs.

Personally I've always had a subpar experience with Chi-Fi, But I've never tried LZ.... Magaosi K3 pro is pretty fun but is quite lacking in detail/staging/accuracy. Magaosi k5 is flawed from the start with subpar clarity, horrible cable, sensitivity issues albeit really good fit, I find myself not using it alot. KZ ZS5 were just unbearable for me. I've found all these IEM's quite lacking in finesse/coherence/detail/imaging/refinement when compared to well know brands like Shure/Westone/JH. But I've been reading up on the LZ-A4 and big dipper, and I've decided to give LZ-A5 a go, Especially after the good reviews of Big Dipper, it seems like they know what they're doing. They're not just another DIY setup.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #129 of 1,177
I own two "chifi" units and like both quite a bit. The LZ-A2 is my budget pair and still sound good. The FLC8S are quite wonderful.

I liked the Lz-A4 but not enough to replace the A2 pair.

I am definitely interested in new units coming from LZ and FLC. Brooko and NMatheis, among others, probably have a huge list of "chifi" units that are quite good.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #131 of 1,177
I've got two $100+ IEMs - the $150 LZ A4 (promotional price) and the $167 HotFi, 2016 2DD / 2BA (30017) (no longer available).
The HotFi is the same as the $149 Super Audio 2BA (30017) / 2DD, currently available from the vendor we can't mention on Head-Fi.
Even though the HotFi does not have tunable backs or nozzles, it sounds very much like the LZ A4 (with the Black back) to me. Note: My hearing only goes out to 13KHz or 14KHz these days.

Two things were were holding me back from ordering the Big Dipper - 1.) Price (and ability to return/exchange); 2.) Amount of Bass from an all BA IEM.
I do like the ability to have extra Bass, with the Red back on the A4, and I think that some early reports are that the A5 Bass is between the A4 Red & Black backs.
So I'm looking forward to seeing comparisons, here on Head-Fi, of the Bass for the A5, A4, and the Big Dipper.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #132 of 1,177
I'm torn between the LZ A5 and the FLC 8s. I absolutely loved my LZ A4 but over time I did tend to dislike the mid-bass hump with the black back filter (or lack of bass with the blue back filter) and the somewhat uneven treble response with a lot of the nozzle filters.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #133 of 1,177
I'm torn between the LZ A5 and the FLC 8s. I absolutely loved my LZ A4 but over time I did tend to dislike the mid-bass hump with the black back filter (or lack of bass with the blue back filter) and the somewhat uneven treble response with a lot of the nozzle filters.
I would also keep in mind the FLC8s "replacement" that is also coming out soon. The FLC8n. It will have a metal housing, a more 3rd party compatible dual pin connector, and new/better BA drivers (all of this is what I've understood from the FLC8s thread). Although the price is about $100 more, it's only $50 more than the FLC8s new MSRP (FLC8n will be $355, FLC8s is now $300).

I think that would be a more interesting comparison with the LZ-A5s, since I've seen the A4s compared to the FLC8s quite often.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #134 of 1,177

I'd refrain from buying immediately, it seems like an exciting time for mid - fi range iems. I'm curious in reading up on the upcoming it04 as well.

I did remember being impressed by the resolution of the flc8s especially the mids (A whole level above the LZ-A4) and the highs were accentuated just right. The lower mids on the flc8s felt too hollowed out in my experience...

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #135 of 1,177
I'd refrain from buying immediately, it seems like an exciting time for mid - fi range iems. I'm curious in reading up on the upcoming it04 as well.

I did remember being impressed by the resolution of the flc8s especially the mids (A whole level above the LZ-A4) and the highs were accentuated just right. The lower mids on the flc8s felt too hollowed out in my experience...

I'm also hoping to pull the trigger on LZ A5, IT04 looks very interesting and I already had a FLC8s which is a good EMI.

Maybe pull the trigger on IT01 at the moment and a better DAP, cruel doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back