M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Oct 27, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #31 of 181
No. I wouldn't say that. But the ODAC is known for being a very transparent, accurate DAC, one of the best for the money. I would imagine it would sound very good with the LSR305s.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #32 of 181
I am basically looking for the DAC equivalent of the JBL

The LSR305 are entry level studio monitors. JBL are massive players in the pro audio marketplace. So it makes sense to pair them with an entry level audio interface from one of the equivalent pro and semi pro manufacturers. That's what they were designed to work with.

I'm thinking Focusrite 2i2, NI Audio 2, Steinberg UR22, MOTU Microbook etc etc.

These interfaces are not simply stereo USB DACS. They solve pretty much any potential issues you might encounter when using active monitors. Multiple channel DAC, monitor controller, headphone amp, DI box and quite often ADC, pre amp, mixer, bass manager, channel strip and compressor into the bargain.

Potential downsides? Some hi fi fans prefer to buy separates. The 'best' DAC. The 'best' headamp...... but consider this. The likes of the ODAC has proved there is no longer any excuse for a manufacturer to market a DAC which is not audibly transparent. At any price.  They should all sound the same.Even those who still claim to hear differences are now always careful to emphasise how small that difference is. Particularly compared to the other elements in the chain. 

You can be reassured something like the 2i2 will sound clean and clear. It's not worth the pro manufacturers while to take a risk with the SQ. They want to sell expensive software on the back of the cheap hardware. So you get the benefit of using balanced connectors immiediately and the other extra features are effectively free for when you discover how useful they are.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #33 of 181
You can be reassured something like the 2i2 will sound clean and clear. It's not worth the pro manufacturers while to take a risk with the SQ. They want to sell expensive software on the back of the cheap hardware. So you get the benefit of using balanced connectors immiediately and the other extra features are effectively free for when you discover how useful they are.

Focusrite is primarily a hardware manufacturer. That is their bread and butter. The expensive software that he is talking about (DAW and plugins) is not made and sold by them; they don't profit from the additional sales of upgraded software. This argument is sort of like saying that Apple exists to sell Adobe products, or Dell to sell Microsoft. There is certainly an industry symbiotic relationship here, but that's not the same as saying that their primary purpose is to sell software. They want you to upgrade to better hardware instead.

The likes of the ODAC has proved there is no longer any excuse for a manufacturer to market a DAC which is not audibly transparent. At any price.  They should all sound the same.

Right. But they don't all sound the same and exhibit the kind of price/performance value that the ODAC does. That was the point of the ODAC. That it was possible to design an accurate and transparent DAC. However, that does not mean that the entire industry--pro audio and home audio--has followed suit. Especially the Focusrite 2i2, which was released in 2011 well BEFORE the ODAC. So it was not influenced by this so called industry transformation that is suggested here.

That being said, the Focusrite 2i2 might sound very good. I have not heard it. But the arguments given by RD do not predict the sound quality of the Focusrite 2i2. For that, you'll need to look at actual reviews instead of listening to pro audio equipment cheerleading brand loyalty. There are good products in home audio and pro audio. And there are bad products. And there are mediocre products (as you already know from listening to various pro audio monitors). You have to do your research. There's no shortcut here.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #34 of 181
''Founded in 1985 by Rupert Neve, Focusrite's first contracts included a commission from Sir George Martin to build extensions to Air studios' custom Neve consoles'

"The company also co-developed plugins and hardware for the popular Pro Tools range of digital audio workstation (DAW) systems."

"In August 2004, Focusrite acquired electronic instrument manufacturer Novation and became a subsidiary called Novation Digital Music Systems Ltd.[4] (later re-dubbed Novation)"

"Late 2010 saw Focusrite return to the plug-in arena with the release of the Midnight plug-in suite. This utilises powerful DSP technology to exactly model the classic Focusrite ISA110 equaliser and ISA130 compressor, even including high-resolution front-panel emulations reminiscent of the hardware units."

I rest my case Milud.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #35 of 181
''Founded in 1985 by Rupert Neve, Focusrite's first contracts included a commission from Sir George Martin to build extensions to Air studios' custom Neve consoles'

"The company also co-developed plugins and hardware for the popular Pro Tools range of digital audio workstation (DAW) systems."

"In August 2004, Focusrite acquired electronic instrument manufacturer Novation and became a subsidiary called Novation Digital Music Systems Ltd.[4] (later re-dubbed Novation)"

"Late 2010 saw Focusrite return to the plug-in arena with the release of the Midnight plug-in suite. This utilises powerful DSP technology to exactly model the classic Focusrite ISA110 equaliser and ISA130 compressor, even including high-resolution front-panel emulations reminiscent of the hardware units."

I rest my case Milud.

So they are more like Apple then Dell. That doesn't mean that their bread and butter is software, or that their primary goal is to sell software. You are guessing that is their business model.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #36 of 181
Great discussion guys, very informative. I keep researching and reading about all the various options but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer. A couple of things seem to be indisputable:

1) any modern DAC will sound better than the audio in my laptop

2) some provide less features and claim to be better at doing the one thing they are designed to do.

What I'm not sure about is how big is the audible difference between the various options - ODAC vs. AE D1 vs. Focusrite 2i2...? If they have very slight differences in their sound signatures (I don't have very well trained ears) then it comes down to the features they offer. In terms of features they go like this:

ODAC < D1 < 2i2

But more importantly how do they stack up as a DAC in terms of sound when used with monitors? There are pretty much zero direct comparisons between the models so it's very hard to figure this out. I'd like a few more features than what the ODAC offers, but I won't use most of the features in the 2i2. Does that mean that I should go with the D1? But is the sound quality compromised in the D1 compared to the others?

I really like the D1 as a package - it offers just the features that I need and it's quite small, seems well built and it's better as a DAC than an amp, but I'll be using it with the JBLs 90% of the time so that's good. It's still an amp so I can use my headphones from time to time and I like that it has the volume control which apparently works both with the RCA and headphone outputs. I'm just worried that it might not sound that great and it might just be a compromise compared to the ODAC and 2i2. If you guys think that with the D1 I'll get 99% of the DAC quality of the other options, that might push me towards it, but I'm quite confused at the moment :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #37 of 181
DAC's are not really meant to have features. Their sole purpose is to convert 1's and 0's into analog audio. Only features really are what inputs they have and whether or not they have volume control. My Xonar has a lot of features but the only special thing I use is its built in eq and crossover with the H6. Volume control is overrated imo. I use windows to control volume and whether I am at 10% or 50% or 100% I cannot hear a difference. For the money you cannot beat the ODAC. Used ones sell for $100 and it punches above its weight class. If you want features then look at something like the Emotiva XDA-2. Start saving up for a subwoofer though. Half of the audio coming through is not being heard because 5" monitors cannot go deep. Ordered a new Presonus T10 for $265. Will let you know how I like it. But even my cheap Yamaha sub doubled the experience for me. My monitors made me hate headphones. I sold my Amperiors a week after I got my M-Audio's. Get the best DAC you can now, then worry about an amp later. Buy used. Look up the classifieds here, look up ebay, craigslist, audiogon. $100 - ODAC $200 - DAC iT

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #38 of 181
I'll probably get the ODAC given the glowing reviews all over the Internet. However, I have a more basic question about the best way to connect the DAC to the laptop. I have an ultrabook with just 2 USBs (3.0). I use one to connect the USB hub that's built in my LCD monitor and from there I have another USB hub that has external power. So the signal goes from the laptop to the monitor and then to the external powered USB hub. I use the second USB on the laptop to connect a cooling pad, the connector for the cooling pad has USB pass through (USB 2.0). So I have 3 options to connect the DAC to the laptop:

1) USB hub that goes through the monitor.

2) USB pass through that also feeds the fans in the cooling pad.

3) Free up a USB and connect the DAC directly to the laptop.

I read that you can add noise if you don't connect the DAC directly to the computer. Is that the case? Does it make a difference how I connect the DAC?

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #39 of 181
I personally would not take chances, USB is known to not be the best input already. If I were you I would try find a completely isolated USB. Free up a USB direct to your computer and plug your other devices through a hub. When you get it you will be able to test, no big deal. Now do not go falling for those $100 USB cables.  

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #40 of 181
Thanks for all the help. No $100 cables for me, that's for sure. I ordered the Auralex Mopad and Hosa dual 1/4 inch to RCA cable. With the DAC and the JBLs that will be a huge upgrade of my audio. Can't wait to hear it! :)

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #41 of 181
Oct 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #42 of 181
  I've also been researching computer desktop powered monitors. I think I've decided on these over any of the others mentioned here. They seem to have all I am looking for but far better sound than the others from on-line reviews. Anyone here heard them?

Emotiva Airmotiv 4S - $299 MSRP but they do go on sale on occasion

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JMQ5X2I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AYM0CQO5RSCIG

Even better than the JBL's discussed eh?

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #43 of 181
I heard the Airmotiv 4s and definitely prefer the JBL. The Airmotiv is more compact and in my opinion is more of a competitor to the Audioengine A2+. The Airmotiv 5 is probably a step up from the JBL but not the 4s. I heard both and prefer the JBL. I researched the JBLs extensively and haven't seen anyone claim that the 4s offers "far better sound".

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #44 of 181
The Airmotiv 5S are just $50 bucks more and offer double the power and lower extension. I am sure the JBL's are great, but the 5S should be better. The Airmotivs are targeted at people who want Adam Audio speakers but cannot afford them, like me. I just ordered the Airmotiv 5S today so I will see how they are compared to my M-Audio's and see if they really are worth the upgrade. If not I might return them and get the JBL's but I doubt that will happen from all the praise they get. Was not long ago that they were $500 and now they are $330. Cableman where did you hear them because no stores carry them? How do they set the speakers up for listening in Guitar Center? Different DAC's, space will make a difference. Plus the smaller driver will sound small since there is no fullness to the bass. How many monitors have you heard?

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #45 of 181
I heard the 4S, a friend of mine has them at home. I haven't heard the 5S and I agree that based on what I read they should be better than the JBL. That's why I said that the 5S is more comparable to the JBL, not the 4S. BobM said that the 4S offers far better sound, which I disagree with. I heard the JBLs at Guitar Center in less than ideal setting and it sounded better than the 4S to me (I realize that's not really A/B testing but I heard both about 30 mins apart). The 4S produces 50 watts RMS, while the 5S is at 100 watts. They are totally different. The JBL produces 82 watts so it's a lot closer to the 5S than the 4S. In terms of frequency response the JBL is at 43Hz - 24kHz, the 5S is at 50Hz - 27kHz, while the 4S is at 58Hz. I totally agree with you - for $50 more it makes no sense to go with the 4S over the 5S. The 5S is much more comparable to the JBL than the 4S.

I heard quite a lot of monitors at Guitar Center, I spent 2 hours there. They weren't set up very well, not positioned properly, but I think that if something sounds amazing in that setting it can only sound better at home. That's why I decided on the JBL, they simply sounded better than comparable monitors. The Airmotiv 5S is probably better given the specs, but I'm waiting for a sale on the JBL, seems like they can be found for $240 at times so almost $100 less than the 5S. Given that I also need a DAC I decided that the JBL will do given that it already sounded amazing to me and I live in an apartment so the 5S will be an overkill and pushes me above budget.

BigTerminator, let me know what you think about the 5S once you get it and I'll let you know about the JBL-ODAC setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back