M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Oct 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #61 of 181
Good luck with that. When you find a reference system that goes to 20Hz for $250, let me know.

Haha, I guess I'm just use the headphone world. I'm naive. Forgive me :p What would be the best in any combination 2/2.1 active/passive for $250? I really have no need to go higher as I'll be using my amazing headphone setup for most.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #62 of 181
My cheapo Promedia's went down to 31hz.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #63 of 181
Good luck with that. When you find a reference system that goes to 20Hz for $250, let me know.

Haha, I guess I'm just use the headphone world. I'm naive. Forgive me :p What would be the best in any combination 2/2.1 active/passive for $250? I really have no need to go higher as I'll be using my amazing headphone setup for most.

I wish such a setup existed, I would be all over it :) For $250, I would do what I'm doing right now - get the JBL LSR305 (when it's on sale) or perhaps the M-Audio BX5 (seems easy to get it at that price at any time). That way you are getting a pretty good 2.0 system and if you want to add a sub later, you can save up and buy a good one. If you have good headphones, they'll keep you entertained until you decide to add a sub :wink: Let us know what you decide.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #64 of 181
I wish such a setup existed, I would be all over it
smily_headphones1.gif
For $250, I would do what I'm doing right now - get the JBL LSR305 (when it's on sale) or perhaps the M-Audio BX5 (seems easy to get it at that price at any time). That way you are getting a pretty good 2.0 system and if you want to add a sub later, you can save up and buy a good one. If you have good headphones, they'll keep you entertained until you decide to add a sub
wink.gif
Let us know what you decide.

:) How much are the sale prices? I see. http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/best-studio-subwoofers <<< I've been looking here for subs, as well as here http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/top-10-best-studio-monitor-speakers << for monitors, where the 305 is listed :D

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #66 of 181
If you liked them, I don't get why don't you just buy them again. Hz is not everything. I guarantee that the JBL will produce way better sound than the Promedia, but you seem to care mainly about Hz.

Ew, no, lol. I know better exists, and now I must have it. And yeah, spose hz isn't everything.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #67 of 181
Just out of curiosity, how would you compare the Airmotiv 4s and the JBL LSR305? To me, the JBL sounded vastly superior. I haven't heard any Audioengine speakers so I can't comment on that (my impressions on those are purely based on my research, not actual listening).

I heard them too many years apart to feel comfortable stating with certainty my opinion without comparing them directly. But I would say that the LSR305 are a step up.

So true. A great example of expectations far exceeding budget. Heck. Can't even get a good sub with decent 20hz extension for that. LOL

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #68 of 181
Cable Man is right. My current setup is great and that was $220 speakers + $100 sub. I would suggest getting 5" monitors for $200 and then save up for a sub. You could get a cheapo sub, like mine, or save up for a quality 2.1 setup rather than just having everything at once. $250 is not a lot. $400 is much nicer to work with. Do not go by specs alone. Factory ratings do not mean anything. Find the best sub for the money, not the one that has the lowest hz rating. 

If you want deals go to Pro Audio Star. Like them on Facebook, get on their email list, they have "flash sales" once every week or so. During the flash sale I was quoted $250 for a brand new Presonus T10. I bought it for $265 not during their sale, but still a great price. Cableman, SoAmusing, anyone really, go to them and use their chat function, low ball them for whatever you want and they will give you a great offer. I am sure they can get you the JBL's for $200 or even less. Low ball them for max savings.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #69 of 181
I wish my place had the space to fully appreciate speakers… My room's been rocking a pair of BX5 D2s close to twice as long as I've been on Head-Fi. I would claim that these are quite the bargain but I've certainly not heard a lot of monitors. That being said, I love how these monitors respond to better DACs. Maybe I should look into these JBLs. 

The Tannoy Reveal line seems quite intriguing.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/greatest-bits-desktop-speakers

Oh and I see a sale on the Reveal 502… I can't say I've heard these.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tannoy-Reveal-502-109318659-i3219157.gc

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #70 of 181
Quote:
  Cable Man is right. My current setup is great and that was $220 speakers + $100 sub. I would suggest getting 5" monitors for $200 and then save up for a sub. You could get a cheapo sub, like mine, or save up for a quality 2.1 setup rather than just having everything at once. $250 is not a lot. $400 is much nicer to work with. Do not go by specs alone. Factory ratings do not mean anything. Find the best sub for the money, not the one that has the lowest hz rating. 

If you want deals go to Pro Audio Star. Like them on Facebook, get on their email list, they have "flash sales" once every week or so. During the flash sale I was quoted $250 for a brand new Presonus T10. I bought it for $265 not during their sale, but still a great price. Cableman, SoAmusing, anyone really, go to them and use their chat function, low ball them for whatever you want and they will give you a great offer. I am sure they can get you the JBL's for $200 or even less. Low ball them for max savings.

Yeah, the hz rating was just one factor.
Haha, awesome, thanks. I heard once the JBL's on sale for... $160? Edit: Dunno where I got 160 from. Noo clue.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #71 of 181
Screw it, lol. I'll go all out at $500 for speakers. :p Suggestions?

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #72 of 181
I got my Presonus T10 today. Initial impressions is that it is way too powerful for my puny room. Volume is from -30db to +6gb and I am at -29db :) Placement options are very limited in my room and this thing is huge, makes my HAF X computer case look small. My Yamaha was in the corner of my room to maximize bass, in the corner the T10 sounded awful. Boomy and not deep. I have settled with having the sub under my desk between the monitors. The subwoofer has depth. Goes way deeper than the Yamaha, as deep as my room will allow. Not running the crossover built in just yet. Overall it is positive. I think an 8" sub would suit my room better. I can feel the power and depth. Will take a long time to perfectly calibrate but for the first day it is performing well. It has a much deeper sound than my Yamaha that makes the music feel much fuller top to bottom. It goes a good 10hz deeper at the least. I will elaborate more as the whole setup comes together. For $265 I would say it is worth it. In a big room it will kill my Yamaha but in a small room it is closer. Probably need bass traps now. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #74 of 181
I got my Presonus T10 today. Initial impressions is that it is way too powerful for my puny room. Volume is from -30db to +6gb and I am at -29db :) Placement options are very limited in my room and this thing is huge, makes my HAF X computer case look small. My Yamaha was in the corner of my room to maximize bass, in the corner the T10 sounded awful. Boomy and not deep. I have settled with having the sub under my desk between the monitors. The subwoofer has depth. Goes way deeper than the Yamaha, as deep as my room will allow. Not running the crossover built in just yet. Overall it is positive. I think an 8" sub would suit my room better. I can feel the power and depth. Will take a long time to perfectly calibrate but for the first day it is performing well. It has a much deeper sound than my Yamaha that makes the music feel much fuller top to bottom. It goes a good 10hz deeper at the least. I will elaborate more as the whole setup comes together. For $265 I would say it is worth it. In a big room it will kill my Yamaha but in a small room it is closer. Probably need bass traps now. 

That sounds pretty awesome. I didn't think there's too much of anything in the audio world :D Let us know how the whole setup sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back