M-Audio Studiophile AV 40's vs. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
May 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

splitdodge1

New Head-Fier
Looking for a new set of desktop speakers in the $150 dollar price range. Just wondering what you recommend. I will be using them primarily for music, and occasionally for movies. I realize one system is a 2.0 while the other is a 2.1 system. If i did buy the M-Audio's, I'd likely buy a sub sometime in the future. But before anything, I'd also need a DAC for my laptop, as this will  be the primary output for these speakers. 

May 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 4
if you were to buy the AV 40s and wanted to add a sub, the sub you buy will have to have a line in and line out. in the form of RCA, TRS, or 3.5 mm jack. Not speaker line in/out. 

May 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 4
  Looking for a new set of desktop speakers in the $150 dollar price range. Just wondering what you recommend. I will be using them primarily for music, and occasionally for movies. I realize one system is a 2.0 while the other is a 2.1 system. If i did buy the M-Audio's, I'd likely buy a sub sometime in the future. But before anything, I'd also need a DAC for my laptop, as this will  be the primary output for these speakers. 

If your planning on ending up with a 2.1 setup for your computer, you might as well just buy the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.
Sometimes Bestbuy will have the Promedia 2.1 on sale for as low as $99.
Or just buy used off eBay.

ELE EL-D01 USB DAC sells for $12.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 4
This same question is being asked for atleast 5 years.If music is your priority then go for AV 40,for movies and games Klipsch Promedia 2.1,i recommend M AUDIO BX5 D2 it's a studio monitor but it can also be an outstanding desktop speakers just play Dark Knight soundtrack or Captain America Winter Soldier bluray with it and you are in for a treat.You should know that headphone gives better performance for the price and at cheaper price of av40 and Klipsch you can get outstanding headphone like ath M40X,Grado SR80I etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back