M&D MH40 vs DT770 vs W110is vs M-100 - Closed Back Contest
Jan 23, 2020 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Celebrimbor

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone thanks for taking the time.

I recently bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR as my first good headphones. I could not be happier, they are amazing.

Now I'm looking for a Wired, Over Ear, Closed Back pair I can use at work. (No I'm not getting drawn into this as a hobby/obsession ok!) I share an office with 2 other people, but I don't listen to music that loud in any case. So sound leakage is not that important but Passive Noise Cancellation would be nice.

I've done quite a lot of research the past +-3 months or so but I still know very little about headphones and audio.
I understand that you will pretty much always get conflicting opinions and reviews because a lot of this subjective. But still you look for majority consensus, and hopefully no trending specific faults.

My budget is $200 - $250
I don't want an amp, that would completely blow out my budget.

I listen to a lot of different music, favourite genres being Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, but like I said I'll listen to anything from Louis Armstrong, Andrea Bochelli to Rag'n'Bone Man. My favourite band is Creendence Clearwater Revival. The only things I don't really listen to is death metal and jazz.

What I'm looking for:
1) Audio Quality
2) Durability
3) Comfort

Yes I know people say comfort is more important, but quite frankly I used to do a full contact sport professionally so a little physical discomfort is not a deal breaker for me.

Okay so here are the headphones I'm currently considering with a short description why they interset me and what my concerns are about them:

V-Moda Crossfade m-100:

What I like: I like that people describe them as having very good and have a lot of bass. I do like bass. They seem to be made well of quality materials, although there seems to be some conflicting reviews about their durability. They are easy to drive and very portable. They come with a hard case included. 50% lifetime guarantee.
Concerned about: Right at the top end om my budget (shipping incl.). I don't like the way they look. Conflicting reviews about their durability. May need new pads.

Master & Dynamic MH40:

What I like: The looks, I love the way they look. Really high build quality so should be very durable. If they fit the people say they sound very good with nice bass. They are easy to drive.
Concerned about: The fit! Will they fit over my ears, I've been searching for the ear cup inner dimensions where the ear should fit in but, good luck finding that info. Audio - do they really fall into the $250 range sound wise?

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm:

What I like: Very good amount of clear bass and sub bass. A lot of very good reviews. German build with replaceable parts. Stood the test of time. Comfortable with velour pads. Customer service seems to be good.
Concerned about: Will I be able to drive them straight from my ipod, macbook and work pc? I don't listen to music at loud levels but still... Very conflicting opinions online, some people say you absolutely need an amp and others say you don't. Non detachable cable.

Audio-Technica W1100is:

What I like:
They look very comfortable. Good amount of bass. Well known and respected Brand.
Concerned about: Z said they aren't that easy to drive. Look plasticy, durability concerns. Is their audio quality good comparable to the others on this list?

I am open to other suggestions not included on this shortlist.
So what do you think? Advice, opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back