Macbook Pro line out > Pa2v2 > MS-1's OR Ipod Classic line out > Pa2v2 > MS-1's ??
May 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Personnel Jezuz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fier's! My first post and I hope it's in the right place :s

Right, I recently just completed my first 'decent' headphone set up. I've got a lovely pair of Alessandro MS-1's and more recently a pa2v2 from electric avenues (thanks Head-fi :D), to be used on the go with my iPod Classic 80gb. I'm using a FiiO L3 line-out to connect the ipod and amp, and I'm loving the power and sound I'm getting with this portable rig.

I recently tried the Pa2v2 with the Mac. My problem is I'm not sure which produces the best sound. It may be that my untrained ear can't differentiate between the two, but my logic says it should sound better from the mac, but I'm hearing it the other way round! 

I understand the FiiO line-out improves the sound over the regular 3.5mm jack, but there's no option (that I know of) other than the headphone out from the Mac!? When listening through the Mac, I have the volume at 100% and vary it through the amp, as I understand this reduces the effect of sound compression. 

Anyone experienced this issue/confusion and could clarify? 

Thank you!

May 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
What you are looking for is a DAC, its like a LO , usb out more like.

Computer => DAC => Amp => headphones

Are you suggesting against using the headphone LO from my laptop to the Pa2v2 as its distorted/less good? Sorry but I'd rather know why I'm experiencing this and the differences between the 2 outputs, before I even think about spending any more money lol!

I've seen DAC's before and was looking into the FiiO E7, but went for the cheaper option. 

So the LO cable I'm using does the same job as the E7? I'm confused! My first though was to look for a USB-type line out, but I think I'm a little lost lol Aaah well 
confused_face_2.gif

May 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 9
It is not that the Line Out itself improves the sound, is more the fact that with the LO you are bypassing the ipod's built in amplifier.

Basically your ipod does 4 things, 1. Reads the music, 2. convert it from digital to analog (DAC) 3. Amplify that signal (Amp), 4. send the analog signal to your headphones.
so far you have the ipod to do the first 2 and then the LO+Amp takes care of the 3 and 4 but better.

and by connecting the PA2V2 via a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm to your computer you are going from a amplifier (build in computer) to another amplifier (PA2V2) and that's not good.
while Using a DAC, you will have to use an USB cable from computer to DAC, that way you bypass the computer's soundcard. then the DAC (+ Amp) does it magic.

May 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 9
bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I see, brilliant! Thanks for breaking it down!! I'll sleep so much better now lol!
So by using higher end gear (and bypassing the crap), you end up with a nicer signal at the end!
..My wallet may never forgive me for this one
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back