Mad Dog Explanation and Opinions
Feb 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

seag33k

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been researching possible candidates for an addition to my small headphone collection.  Sound qualities that are important to me are extended bass with good impact, smooth treble that is detailed but not harsh, decent soundstage with separation of instruments,  and midrange that is not in your face.  I’ve really been intrigued by the HE-400’s and the Can’s by MrSpeakers in the $300 - $400 price range.

From MrSPeakers website I see three options, Mad Dog w/Dog Pads, Mad Dog w/Alpha Pads, Upgrade for Fostex T50RP.  I am not very familiar with any of these models.  I’ve read a few entries from the forum, but thought I’d ask for some succinct opinions.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 10
The Alpha Pad Mad Dogs are the latest update to the Mad Dogs. The Dog Pads are the older version. The Upgrade is for people who have the stock T50RP and would like to send them to Dan to get them upgraded directly, though I'm assuming the upgrade will be to the alpha pads.

As for differences, many of the beta testers have already said that the Alpha Pads are better (but also different in some cases) than the Dog Pads (check out the last 10 pages or so of the Mad Dog Review thread). 

Here is one of the reviews: http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/02/old-dog-new-pads-review.html
Noblehifi has also reviewed the Dog Pad version.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the link.  Anyone know of a good comparison with the MD and HE-400s?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 10
he400: 

*great ortho bass, textured and good visceral impact
*good mids but not perfect for female vocals
*slight spike in the treble about the 10 hz range
*completely open, like mini speakers
*great representation of instruments, great energy, attack and decay of notes is impressive

MD/Alpha pads:
(I participated in the test group)

*the new pads have put the bass neck and neck with the he400
*jaw dropping mids...smooth, beautifully rendered female vocals
*closed hp with impressive isolation
*closed treble extension with no spikes, flat across the top
*$100 less than the he400

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Nods^ W/waaaay better comfort.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 10
^^ Thanks. Forgot about the comfort. The new pads plus the comfort strap make this just incredibly comfortable to wear for extended periods. This is impressive considering that the two hp's weight about the same. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the feedback MattTCG! It is very helpful.  With the bit of extra savings, I could put that toward a small desktop amp/dac setup and keep my FiiO in my work bag :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
he400: 

*great ortho bass, textured and good visceral impact
*good mids but not perfect for female vocals
*slight spike in the treble about the 10 hz range
*completely open, like mini speakers
*great representation of instruments, great energy, attack and decay of notes is impressive

MD/Alpha pads:
(I participated in the test group)

*the new pads have put the bass neck and neck with the he400
*jaw dropping mids...smooth, beautifully rendered female vocals
*closed hp with impressive isolation
*closed treble extension with no spikes, flat across the top
*$100 less than the he400

Which one has better soundstage and instrument separation?

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 10
The he-400 has a better soundstage simply because it's open. I'm not sure about instrument separation, however, the MD isn't a slouch.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 10
^^ Sound stage would go to the he400, even though the MD is on pair with a decent open hp now (comparable to my hd650). Instrument separation is about even. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back